- ACTION Students Document Cancer Crisis in Appalachia in New Photography Exhibit, Sept. 21, 2021
- ACTION Preps Kentucky High Schoolers for Cancer Careers Even Through the Pandemic, July 22, 2021
- Markey’s ACTION Program Develops Cancer Education Curriculum for Appalachian Schools, Feb. 19, 2021
- Kentucky by Heart: ACTION program offers resources to Appalachian students pursuing medical careers, Feb. 2, 2021
- Vanderford Receives Kentucky Academy of Science’s Excellence in Science Education and Outreach Award, November 11, 2020
- Nathan Vanderford, PhD, MBA discusses new book from ACTION Program students with Eastern Standard on NPR, February 27, 2020
- Markey's ACTION Program Announces New Book, February 19, 2020
- New Study Examines Ways to Improve Cancer Literacy in Kentucky Students, February 11, 2020
- Markey's ACTION Program Hosts Inaugural Summer Residential Program, August 13, 2019
- Markey Announces First Cohort of High School Students for ACTION Program, May 7, 2019
- UK Ag, Markey Team Up for Podcast Miniseries on Cancer, May 2, 2019
- Nathan Vanderford Interview with Eastern Standard on NPR, May 2, 2019
- New NCI Grant Expands ACTION Program to High Schoolers, November 26, 2018
- Training Kentucky's Next Generation of Cancer Fighters, March 5, 2018
- UK program to train Appalachian undergraduates to fight cancer, July 27, 2016
In addition to the book The Cancer Crisis in Appalachia, the ACTION Program is releasing an accompanying podcast. This podcast features the student authors of the book, with each episode diving deeper into their story about their experiences with cancer.
You can visit the podcast home on Podbean or choose from one of the available episodes in the playlist below.
UK Markey Cancer Center Assistant Director for Research and Director of the ACTION Program Dr. Nathan Vanderford was featured on podcast series Talking FACS, highlighting various cancer topics. All episodes are available on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, and Spotify.
Find the full episodes featuring Dr. Vanderford below, and visit our Cancer Conversations webpage for the latest cancer-related podcast episodes.
Find ACTION Program published works below.
*ACTION students; #ACTION personnel
Vanderford NL#, Hudson L and Prichard C# (Editors). The Cancer Crisis in Appalachia: Kentucky Students Take ACTION. Lexington, KY: University Press of Kentucky, 2020 (April 7). Print ISBN: 9781950690039.
Al-Attar A, Presnell SR, Clasey JL, Long DE, Walton RG, Sexton M*, Starr ME, Kern PA, Peterson CA, Lutz CT. Human Body Composition and Immunity: Visceral Adipose Tissue Produces IL-15 and Muscle Strength Inversely Correlates with NK Cell Function in Elderly Humans. Front Immunol 9:440, 2018. PMCID: PMC5845694
Stevens PD, Wen YA, Xiong X, Zaytseva YY, Li AT, Wang C, Stevens AT, Farmer TN*, Gan T, Weiss HL, Inagaki M, Marchetto S, Borg JP, Gao T. Erbin Suppresses KSR1-Mediated RAS/RAF Signaling and Tumorigenesis in Colorectal Cancer. Cancer Res 78:4839-4852, 2018. PMCID: PMC6510240
Noel L, Phillips F, Tossas-Milligan K, Spear K, Vanderford NL#, Winn RA, Vanderpool RC, Eckhardt SG. Community-Academic Partnerships: Approaches to Engagement. Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book 39:88-95, 2019. PMCID: PMC6543849
Dicken H*, Hensley PJ, Kyprianou N. Prostate tumor neuroendocrine differentiation via EMT: The road less traveled. Asian J Urol 6:82-90, 2019. PMCID: PMC6363600
Hensley PJ, Cao Z, Pu H, Dicken H*, He D, Zhou Z, Wang C, Koochekpour S, Kyprianou N. Predictive and targeting value of IGFBP-3 in therapeutically resistant prostate cancer. Am J Clin Exp Urol 7:188-202, 2019. PMCID: PMC6627542
Puleo GE, Borger TN, Montgomery D*, Rivera Rivera JN, Burris JL. A Qualitative Study of Smoking-Related Causal Attributions and Risk Perceptions in Cervical Cancer Survivors. Psychooncology 29:500-506, 2020. PMCID: PMC7054153
Hudson L, Samons KM*, Dicken HE*, Prichard C#, Weiss LT, Edward J, Vanderpool RC, Vanderford NL#. A Brief Educational Intervention Enhances Basic Cancer Literacy Among Kentucky Middle and High School Students. J Cancer Educ 2020. PMCID: PMC7388006
Vanderford NL#. The Transformative Power of Teaching and Learning. Acad Med 95:144, 2020. PMCID: PMC7385993
Presnell SR, Spear HK, Durham J, Riddle T*, Applegate A, Lutz CT. Differential Fuel Requirements of Human NK Cells and Human CD8 T Cells: Glutamine Regulates Glucose Uptake in Strongly Activated CD8 T Cells. Immunohorizons 4:231-244, 2020.
Gan T, Stevens AT, Xiong X, Wen YA, Farmer TN*, Li AT, Stevens PD, Golshani S, Weiss HL, Mark Evers B, Gao T. Inhibition of protein tyrosine phosphatase receptor type F suppresses Wnt signaling in colorectal cancer. Oncogene 39:6789-6801, 2020. PMCID: PMC7606795
Xiong X, Wen YA, Fairchild R*, Zaytseva YY, Weiss HL, Evers BM, Gao T. Upregulation of CPT1A is essential for the tumor-promoting effect of adipocytes in colon cancer. Cell Death Dis 11:736, 2020. PMCID: PMC7484798
Hudson L, Prichard C#, Weiss T, Vanderford NL#. Evidence for Cancer Literacy Knowledge Retention among Kentucky Middle and High School Students after a Brief Educational Intervention. Southern Medical Journal 113:541-548, 2020.