Proper nutrition is a key component to good health, especially for patients with cancer. Coupled with advanced medical care, good nutrition can help fuel recovery and manage treatment-related side effects.
At UK Markey Cancer Center, we have a team of registered dietitians on site who are experts in providing nutrition counseling to oncology patients. This means they not only understand the many ways cancer treatment can affect how you eat, but they also work with you to overcome these barriers and improve your nutritional status. Our dietitians are experienced in managing home enteral nutrition (i.e. tube feeding) and can work with you and your team to come up with a feeding regimen that is customized to your individual needs.
As a patient at Markey Cancer Center, you have access to personalized nutrition counseling. We will work with you and your medical team to help optimize your nutrition. Be sure to check out the Markey Menu for recipe ideas and information on oncology nutrition written by nutrition professionals. It’s our comprehensive approach that helps ensure you are eating as well as possible while reaping the benefits of good nutrition.
What we do
Our registered dietitians are focused on:
- Providing individualized nutrition counseling and strategies for maintaining good nutrition throughout the continuum of care.
- Assessing patients’ daily nutrient needs and combating barriers to food intake in an effort to prevent delays in treatment or other complications of malnutrition.
- Educating patients on nutrition-related side effects of their specific diagnosis or treatment plan and strategies to manage.
- Educating patients and caregivers on home tube feeding regimens and recommendations for use of nutrition supplements. Our dietitians also work with local medical supply companies regarding potential insurance coverage of nutrition supplies.
- Providing current evidence-based nutrition recommendations specific to each patient’s diagnosis.
- Connecting patients with community nutrition resources.
Patients are welcome to request to speak with a registered dietitian during regular business hours. We will address your immediate concerns and evaluate your needs to determine how we might serve you best. You may also request a call from a registered dietitian to discuss your nutrition-related concerns at a more convenient time.
Your healthcare provider may also refer you for nutrition counseling if they feel you may benefit from our services.