Tumors of the sinuses or the inside of the nose can require advanced treatments and surgery that isn’t available everywhere. At Markey, you’ll find specially trained head and neck surgeons experienced in the latest surgical techniques.
These tumors are extremely rare and often benign, or noncancerous. However, some benign nasal and sinus tumors can develop into cancer if left untreated.
We offer minimally invasive surgery that allows surgeons to:
- Operate inside the nose and sinuses with fewer incisions
- See where they are operating with 3D imaging
Our team of providers specialize in treating head and neck cancers. Our team includes:
- Medical oncologists who are experts in treating nasal and sinus cancers and other head and neck cancers
- Ear, nose and throat surgeons
- Neurosurgeons with special training in skull base tumors
- Radiation oncologists who are experts at delivering precise radiation while protecting critical parts of the head and neck
- Plastic surgeons
- Nurses, nutritionists, speech language pathologists and rehabilitation therapists
For larger tumors, our team works together with neurosurgeons, oculoplastic surgeons and reconstructive surgeons to provide the best outcomes possible.
What are nasal and sinus cancers?
Nasal and sinus cancers are cancers that affect the:
- Nasal cavity: The space behind the nose
- Sinuses: The spaces around the nose, also called the paranasal sinuses because they are near the nasal cavity
Symptoms of nasal and sinus cancers
Symptoms of nasal and sinus cancer are similar to a cold or sinus infection and may include:
- Stuffy nose, usually on one side
- Sinus pain or pressure
- Runny nose or mucus draining into your throat
- Decreased sense of smell
More advanced symptoms may include:
- Facial swelling
- Double vision or blurred vision
- Headache or facial pain
- Changes of feeling in the face and forehead
Make an appointment
Request an appointment online or call 859-257-4488 or 866-340-4488 (toll free).
Learn more about the Head & Neck cancer team with the provider profiles below.
- Rony K. Aouad, MD
- Thomas J. Gal, MD, MPH, FACS
- Alexandra E. Kejner, MD, FACS
- Joseph Valentino, MD, FACS
- Melvyn S. Yeoh, MD, DMD, FACS
- For your first visit, you will be directed to the Ben F. Roach Cancer Care Facility (Pavilion CC) of the Markey Cancer Center. Get directions to the Ben F. Roach Cancer Care Facility.
- You can register at the front desk, where a receptionist will help guide you through your appointment.
- Free parking is available in the Whitney-Hendrickson parking lot.
- Please remember to bring your patient packet with the completed forms. These items will help your doctor learn more about your case and determine the best plan for your care.
- Review the patient handbook to learn about your stay and everything Markey offers for patients and families.
- UK HealthCare accepts many forms of insurance.
Through clinical trials at Markey, our patients have the opportunity to participate in the newest advances in treatments and supportive therapies.
Clinical trials test potential treatments for nasal and sinus cancer patients. All trials are painstakingly researched before they reach patients.
Find Nasal and Sinus Cancer Clinical Trials
Our clinical trials database lists current head and neck cancer trials here at Markey.