At the UK Markey Cancer Center, we do more than just treat disease. We care for the individual. From mental health and nutrition counseling to temporary lodging assistance and complementary therapies such as yoga and acupuncture, our support services are comprehensive and easily accessible.
We have an experienced team of licensed clinical social workers, registered dietitians, integrative medicine clinicians and others who will work with you to tailor our services to meet your needs as you and your family navigate the challenges of illness and medical treatment.
Remember: cancer does not define you, and life goes on despite a diagnosis. We want to help you continue to face each new day with strength, confidence and peace of mind. Take a look at our support services below to learn more.
- In partnership with the ACS, our certified patient navigator helps patients and caregivers find the resources they need, assists with head coverings and wigs and more.
- Send e-mail greetings to a friend or loved one currently hospitalized at UK Chandler Hospital, Markey Cancer Center or Kentucky Children's Hospital.
- Patient advocates assist patients with billing questions and payment collection. They also screen patients for financial assistance programs and federal disability programs.
- UK Integrative Medicine & Health program uses a combination of traditional and complementary medical therapies and practices, including aromatherapy and Jin Shin Jyutsu, to treat the whole person — body, mind and spirit.
- Markey registered dietitians specialize in providing nutritional support to oncology patients, helping them manage the nutrition-related side effects of treatment, including decreased appetite, weight loss, taste changes and nausea.
- In addition to providing emotional support and counseling, oncology social workers help guide patients to various cancer-specific and community resources, such as temporary lodging and transportation assistance during your treatment.
- The Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R) Oncology Rehabilitation Program offers specialized medical care for cancer patients who hope to improve their general well-being by managing physical impairments, overseeing personalized rehabilitation programs, and providing medical follow-up for these issues.
- For patients with serious illness, palliative care is focused on improving quality of life for both the patient and their family through pain management, emotional and spiritual support, decision-making assistance and more.
- Markey helps connect cancer patients with organizations providing products and accessories, including head coverings, prosthetics and more.
- Support groups educate patients and families about cancer and its treatment, and allow them to share their experiences and get tips on coping with the emotional and physical challenges of disease.