The complexity of cancer involves many different branches of medicine. The UK Markey Cancer Center has developed a variety of specialized multidisciplinary teams to evaluate and treat the disease, which means that physicians and nurses from multiple specialties work together with each patient to develop the best treatment plan for their particular circumstances.
More than 100 different types of cancer exist, and each type of cancer must be treated differently at different stages of disease. The Markey Cancer Center's expert teams are committed to developing new and more advanced ways to fight cancer and utilizing breakthrough technology to maintain and improve patients' quality of life.
This approach gives the patient and family a coordinated "second opinion," yields a variety of options for a comprehensive treatment plan, and moves patients into active treatment more quickly.
- Blood cancer treatment
- Bone cancer treatment
- Brain cancer treatment: Treating cancers of the brain and spinal cord.
- Breast cancer treatment: Treating male and female forms of breast cancer.
- Gastrointestinal cancer treatment: Treating cancers of the colon, rectum, anus, liver, pancreas, stomach and esophagus.
- Genitourinary cancer treatment: Treating cancers of the kidney, prostate and bladder.
- Gynecologic cancer treatment: Treating cancers of the ovary, cervix, vagina and vulva.
- Head and neck cancer treatment: Treating cancers of the lips, tongue, mouth, pharynx and larynx.
- Liver cancer treatment: Treating cancers of the liver and bile duct, and cancers that have spread to the liver.
- Lung cancer treatment: Treating cancers of the lungs, esophagus and chest.
- Medical Oncology treatment: Treating and researching solid tumor cancers.
- Melanoma treatment: Treating melanoma, sarcoma and other skin cancers.
- Neuroendocrine cancer treatment: Treating neuroendocrine tumors.
- Pediatric cancer treatment: Treating leukemia, lymphoma and other childhood cancers.
- Sarcoma treatment:Treating sarcomas along with tumor-like conditions affecting the musculoskeletal system.
- Thyroid cancer treatment: Treating thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal gland cancers.