The Markey Cancer Center (MCC) has established a new educational pipeline program: the MCC Appalachian Career Training in Oncology (ACTION) Program. First established as the Career Training in Oncology Program (CTOP) in 2016, the program offers Appalachian Kentucky high school and undergraduate students enrolled at the University of Kentucky the opportunity to gain cancer research, clinical, outreach and education experiences that will enrich their interest in pursuing a cancer-focused career.
For more information on the ACTION Program's goals, cohorts and news, visit the pages below:
To be eligible for the program, students must:
- Be a native of one of the 54 Appalachian Kentucky counties.
- Be enrolled in a high school within Appalachian Kentucky as a freshman or sophomore or be a current University of Kentucky incoming freshman, sophomore or junior.
- Be a member of our target population (underrepresented minority, female, from a low income family, first generation college student, or otherwise underserved student).
The deadline for applying to the ACTION Program has passed.
- ACTION Undergraduate Applications will be available Spring 2020.
- ACTION High School Applications will be available Fall 2020.
In preparation for the ACTION summer program, high school participants must review and return certain documents such as permission forms, photo waivers, a student contract and more.
Forms for upcoming summer participants will be made available in March 2020. Please bring these completed forms to the April orientation or mail them to our office at 800 Rose Street, N09 | Ben F. Roach Building, Lexington, KY 40536-0093.
Please take note of the key ACTION Program dates for high school participants below.
ACTION Program Academic Year Sessions 2019-2020
- August 17-18, Louisville Trip
- September 21
- October 26
- November 16
- December 14
- January 18
- February 22
- March 28
- April 18, Summer Orientation
- May 6, MCC Research Day
2020 ACTION Summer Program Dates
Saturday, May 30th - Friday, July 3rd
Nathan L. Vanderford, PhD, MBA
University of Kentucky
Ben F. Roach Building
800 Rose Street, CC140
Lexington KY 40536-0096