Appalachian Career Training in Oncology (ACTION) Program
The Markey Cancer Center’s Appalachian Career Training in Oncology (ACTION) Program offers Appalachian Kentucky high school and undergraduate students enrolled at the University of Kentucky the opportunity to gain cancer research, clinical, outreach and education experiences that will enrich their interest in pursuing a biomedical career with a focus on cancer-related careers. ACTION was created in 2016 through a National Cancer Institute (NCI) Continuing Umbrella of Research Experiences (CURE) supplement and has been funded as an NCI Youth Enjoy Science program since 2018.
To be eligible for the ACTION Program, students must be:
- A native of one of the 54 Appalachian Kentucky counties;
- Enrolled in a high school within Appalachian Kentucky as a rising freshman, sophomore, or junior or be a rising University of Kentucky freshman, sophomore, or junior; and
- A member of an underrepresented group in the research workforce as defined by the NIH, including:
- Underrepresented minorities (Black or African American, Hispanic or Latino, American Indian or Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian, and other Pacific Islander);
- Individuals with disabilities, defined as those with a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more life activities; and/or
- Individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds including those who were or are homeless, were or are in the foster care system, were or are eligible for Federal Free and Reduced Lunch Program, have no parent/legal guardian who completed a bachelor’s degree, were or are eligible for Federal Pell grants, received support from the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children, or grew up in a rural or low-income and health professional shortage area.
View the map below to see which counties are eligible for prospective ACTION Program students.
Please find application forms and details for application windows below.
- The next applications for the ACTION Program will be due as follows:
- Undergraduate Applications will be due Friday, May 5, 2023, by 5 p.m.
- High School Applications will be due Friday, March 22, 2024, by 5 p.m.
Application Forms and Recommendations
Please take note of the key ACTION Program dates for high school participants below.
ACTION Program Saturday Session Schedule 2022-2023
Monthly Saturday Sessions
- September 17
- October 8
- November 19
- December 10
- January 21
- February 18
- March 18
- April 15
- May 13
* Unless special times are announced, monthly sessions will begin at 10am and end by 4pm.
ACTION High School Summer Residential Program Dates
- Saturday, June 10, 2023 (Move-In Day)
- Saturday, July 15, 2023 (Closing banquet/Move-out)
In preparation for the ACTION summer program, high school participants must review and return certain documents such as permission forms, photo waivers, a student contract and more.
These forms are due by May 1st.
ACTION Program Badge
Participants that complete the ACTION Program will be awarded an ACTION Program Completion Badge. This digital badge signifies the totality of participants’ work in the program and their preparedness to address the cancer disparities in Appalachian Kentucky by pursuing cancer-related careers and conducting impactful community outreach to enhance cancer awareness across the region.
Upon completion of the program, Chris Prichard will email participants a final survey to complete followed by downloads of the digital badge for personal and professional use.