In the UK Markey Cancer Center’s Multidisciplinary Thoracic Clinic, lung cancer patients are provided customized care to fit their oncology needs. Our program offers the latest in thoracic surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy treatments, and more.
Our team approach
The Multidisciplinary Thoracic Oncology Program includes multiple oncology specialists with a broad range of expertise in all aspects of lung cancer care and treatment. Our team provides expertise and offers patients personalized care and treatment plans suited for their needs.
Markey has provided state-of-the-art cancer care for more than 20 years, and we are proud to be the only cancer center in Kentucky designated by the National Cancer Institute. For the last five years, Markey Cancer Center has been nationally recognized as a top 50 cancer center by U.S. News and World Report.
Conditions commonly treated include small cell lung cancer and non-small cell lung cancer, mesothelioma, thymic tumors, and other thoracic cancers including esophageal cancer and tumors of the mediastinum. Thoracic surgery, interventional pulmonary medicine, radiation, chemotherapy and precision medicine treatments are state-of-the-art, supplemented by national research studies as well as treatments with promising new drug regimens.
According to the American Cancer Society (ACS), about 14 percent of all new cancers diagnosed are lung cancers. In 2016, Markey had a 17 percent five-year survival rate among lung cancer patients.
Despite the serious prognosis of lung cancer, more people are living with lung cancer now than ever. According to ACS, more than 430,000 people alive today have been diagnosed with lung cancer at some point.
The earlier lung cancer is discovered, the sooner your treatment can begin. See our Lung Cancer Screening page for more information on our Lung Cancer Screening Program.
Clinical Trials help keep our cancer care on the leading edge by allowing researchers to apply cancer knowledge as it develops to give you the best chance of survival.
At Markey, our specialists place a high value on all areas of lung cancer treatment, from patient care designed for the unique patient to developing treatments of the future.
- Download the Markey Cancer Center Clinical Trials app.
- Request an appointment online or call 859-257-4488 or 866-340-4488 (toll free).
- Patient Perspective: Vickie Duff on conquering a late-stage lung cancer diagnosis.
- For your first visit, you will be directed to the multidisciplinary clinic on the first floor of the Whitney-Hendrickson Building. Directions to the Whitney-Hendrickson Building.
- After registering at the front desk, a receptionist will help guide you through your appointment.
- Free parking is available to patients in the Whitney-Hendrickson parking lot.
- Please remember to bring your patient packet with the completed forms. These items will help your doctor learn more about your case and determine the best plan for your care.
- Review the patient handbook to learn about your stay and everything Markey offers for patients and families.
UK HealthCare accepts many forms of insurance.
The UK Lung Cancer Screening Program offers low-dose CT screenings for patients who might be at risk for lung cancer, including smokers and former smokers.
Visit the UK Lung Cancer Screening Program webpage for information on who is qualified, making an appointment, and more.
See also: Comprehensive Lung Nodule Clinic
Chemotherapy Infusion Clinic
UK Albert B. Chandler Hospital - Pavilion H800 Rose St.
Pavillion H, 2nd Floor
Lexington, KY 40536Monday - Friday: 8:00 am-5:00 pm
UK Markey Cancer CenterWhitney-Hendrickson Building800 Rose St.
Lexington, KY 40536
A parking lot is located near the Whitney-Hendrickson Building, accessible via Hospital Drive. Get directions to Whitney-Hendrickson.
View or print a map of the UK HealthCare main campus (PDF, 228 KB)