The UK Markey Cancer Center was designated by the National Cancer Institute in 2013 – a distinction that recognizes our extraordinary ability to provide world-class care for our patients. We are the only NCI-designated cancer center in Kentucky and one of only 69 in the nation.
How do patients benefit from Markey's NCI designation?
Kentucky has one of the highest rates of cancer in the country, including the nation's highest rate of lung cancer and second-highest rate of colon cancer.
With our NCI designation, Markey is equipped to provide better care for people across the state, ensuring no Kentuckian will have to leave state lines to get access to world-class cancer treatment.
Patients at Markey benefit from new drugs, treatment options and clinical trials only offered at NCI-designated centers. They also have the peace of mind knowing they are receiving care at one of the country’s best cancer centers.
How does the Markey Cancer Center benefit from earning an NCI designation?
By earning this prestigious designation, Markey sees:
- More than $2 million annually in additional funding.
- Access to the latest in cancer research clinical trials.
- The ability to attract more of the best medical students and faculty on an international level.
- An increase in community engagement, including volunteers, patient advisory groups, and education and intervention programs.
- The ability to communicate and collaborate on new advances in cancer care with other NCI-designated cancer centers across the country.
NCI-designated cancer centers are a major source of discovery and development of more effective approaches to cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment. These centers provide leadership for and participate in the NCI Clinical Trials Cooperative Group Program. This program is designed to promote and support clinical trials of new cancer treatments, explore methods of cancer prevention and early detection, and study quality-of-life and rehabilitation issues.
To earn an NCI designation, cancer centers must apply and demonstrate continuous excellence in the following areas:
- Laboratory research
- Clinical research
- Behavioral and population-based research
All NCI-designated cancer centers receive substantial financial support from NCI grants, and they are re-evaluated every time their support grant comes up for renewal – usually every three to five years.
For more information on NCI designation or to make an appointment at Markey, call us at 866-340-4488.