Cancer Research Informatics Shared Resource Facility (CRI SRF)
Director: Eric B. Durbin, DrPH, MS
Associate Director: Isaac Hands, MPH
The mission of the Cancer Research Informatics Shared Resource Facility (CRI) is to facilitate collaborative research among members of the Markey Cancer Center (MCC) through application of informatics methods and secure computational resources that optimize accessibility and usability of data, information, and knowledge.
The specific aims of the CRI are to:
- Develop and support innovative technologies for research funded studies that facilitate accurate, timely, and secure data acquisition and dissemination.
- Leverage the statewide electronic data resources of the Surveillance Epidemiology and End Results (SEER) Kentucky Cancer Registry (KCR) to facilitate MCC research in Kentucky's Appalachian population.
- Ensure the interoperability of informatics systems in compliance with evolving data standards.
- Maintain and support a comprehensive patient centered data warehouse offering unique opportunities for MCC investigators to utilize integrated datasets ranging from molecular biomarkers to Appalachian patient populations.
- Provide novel and state-of-the-art solutions to the unique informatics challenges that arise from MCC research in collaboration with the UK Biomedical Informatics Division.
The Markey Cancer Center (MCC) Cancer Research Informatics Shared Resource Facility (CRI) facilitates collaborative research among members of the MCC through the optimal application of informatics technologies and methods that maximize the accessibility and usability of data, information and knowledge. The primary goal of CRI is to provide comprehensive and centralized data acquisition and informatics support that is readily available to cancer center members.
Contact: Send an email to the CRI SRF at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Curate, harmonize, integrate, and deliver clinical and molecular data for scientific discovery.
- Provide innovative high throughput computational methods in drug discovery.
- Support AI methods (deep learning and natural language processing) for social media, clinical, and molecular data mining.
- Level 1: Collaboration with investigators having peer-reviewed studies with CRI personnel funding.
- Level 2: Preparation of peer-reviewed grant applications with proposed funding for CRI personnel.
- Level 3: Cancer Center pilot/feasibility projects of Cancer Center members.
- Level 4: Development of other non-peer reviewed studies with request for CRI personnel funding.
- Level 5: Other unfunded research projects that require limited informatics support provided free of charge.
The CRI SRF uses iLab Solutions to manage service requests and project tracking. To start using CRI SRF Services, click the link below, which will take you to a landing page with more detailed instructions, including a one-time account setup. Once your account is set up, iLab will enable you to place CRI SRF service requests, provide the required approvals, and monitor the progress of your project.
Please visit the following links for public software and additional information.
- Cancer Research Data Commons/cBioPortal Portal
- The Markey Cancer Center's Cancer Research Informatics Shared Resource Facility (CRI) has developed a cBioPortal instance to allow investigators to quickly review Foundation Medicine reports with clinical and outcome data from the SEER Kentucky Cancer Registry and other sources.
- A login account is required to access the portal. Please complete the REDCap form (https://redcap.uky.edu/redcap/surveys/?s=AL8THNDHA3) to request access to this online service.
- CRI Public Software Projects
- Fresh Frozen Biospecimen Inventories by Cancer Site
- Kentucky Cancer Registry
- Oncore - Clinical Trials Management System Login
- LabKey - Research Data System Login
- UK IT Research Enablement and Outreach
- Markey Shared Resource Facilities
Markey Cancer Center shared resources are supported primarily by the Cancer Center Support Grant (CCSG) from the National Cancer Institute (P30CA177558). Additional support may be provided from other sources, such as chargeback systems, institutional funding and/or other grants. CCSG support allows our shared resource facilities to provide benefits to cancer center members, such as ensured access to services or subsidies to user rates.
Please use the following statement to acknowledge Markey Cancer Center Shared Resources in your research papers, publications and grant applications. (Note: Please also consider including the names of individuals from the shared resources if they provided any intellectual input or additional effort, in consultation with Markey Shared Resource directors.)
- This research was supported by the Cancer Research Informatics Shared Resource Facility of the University of Kentucky Markey Cancer Center (P30CA177558).
Faculty and Staff
Eric B. Durbin, DrPH, MS
Isaac Hands, MPH
Faculty & Managers
Sally Ellingson, PhD
Jenny Gregory, MS
Joseph Hurt-Mueller, MBA
Jong Cheol (JC) Jeong, PhD
Ramakanth Kavuluru, PhD
York Dobyns, PhD
Amir Elbiheary, MBBS
Jason Jacob, MS
F. Scot Mattingly, RHIA
Peter Ransdell, MS
David Rust, MS
John Williams, MA
Lisa Witt, CTR
Cancer Research Informatics Shared Resource Facility (CRI SRF)
2365 Harrodsburg Road, Suite A230
Lexington KY 40504-3381
Read about the Cancer Research Informatics Shared Resource Facility in the headlines below.
- The Kentucky Cancer Registry (KCR) has received a $2.6 million contract from the National Cancer Institute (NCI) to continue its participation in the NCI’s Surveillance Epidemiology and End Results (SEER) program. Kentucky Cancer Registry Awarded Multimillion-dollar Contract from NCI. June 22, 2018
- Markey held its ninth annual Markey Cancer Center Research Day in May, highlighting the work of UK students, postdoctoral fellows and faculty from the past year including our own Sally Ellingson, PhD. Students, Postdocs and Faculty Present Latest Findings at Markey Research Day. May 11, 2018
- From childhood excellence in art and math, Sally Ellingson has built a robust career in computational drug discovery. Learn more about Dr. Ellingson and her path to Markey in UKnow's latest entry in the "People Behind Our Research" series. February 26, 2018
- CRI Data Management Team Lead Jennifer Land and her family command the Lexington-based Blue Sun Squad of the 501st Legion, who made Star Wars a reality for 5 year old childhood brain cancer patient at Markey on his last treatment day. Watch the video and read more. Jan 30, 2018
- CRI Director, Eric Durbin, comments in National Cancer Institute blog article about a recent study of cancer mortality disparities across the United States, February 21, 2017
- Kentucky Cancer Registry Uses Power of Data to Fight Disease, September 27, 2016
- Data Integrity at the Forefront of Cancer Registry - CRI Director, Eric Durbin, speaks to "For the Record" regarding the importance of cancer registry data integrity, March 2016
- Markey Launches App for Cancer Clinical Trials - The University of Kentucky Markey Cancer Center recently launched a new iPhone app featuring a searchable database of the open clinical trials at Markey, April 27, 2015
- Markey Researchers Develop Web-Based App to Predict Glioma Mutations - A new web-based program developed by University of Kentucky Markey Cancer Center researchers will provide a simple, free way for healthcare providers to determine which brain tumor cases require testing for a genetic mutation, August 19, 2014
- Markey Quarterly Newsletter, Issue 2, 2014 - featuring Sally Ellingson, PhD, lead author of "Polypharmacology and supercomputer-based docking: opportunities and challenges."
- Discovering Polypharmacology - Supercomputing Could Revolutionize Pharmaceutical Research and Development, June 9, 2014
- Lung Cancer Patients May Benefit from Innovative Informatics Project - A multidisciplinary team of doctors, researchers, and informaticists at the University of Kentucky is working to improve identification of lung cancer patients who are eligible to participate in clinical trials for novel treatments, May 30, 2014
- Annual Markey Research Day Showcases Cancer Research - CRI faculty member, Sally Ellingson, awarded first place award for clinical and translational poster at Markey Research Day 2014, May 23, 2014
- Capturing Cancer Data in Real Time, A Kentucky project is laying the groundwork for more widespread electronic reporting of cancer cases to state registries, June 4, 2013
- UK Initiates First Cancer Reporting Model of its Kind in U.S. - CRI staff are heavily engaged in developing the standards and methods for ambulatory cancer reporting. Their efforts allowed KCR to become the first U.S. registry to receive standardized data using methods specified for Meaningful Use Stage 2, November 30, 2012
- Graduate and Postdoctoral Research Highlighted at Markey Research Day, CRI Director, Eric Durbin, received second place award for poster at Markey Research Day 2012, May 24, 2012
- Markey Research Day to Feature Presentations From Leading Cancer Researchers, CRI Director, Eric Durbin, selected to present his natural language processing research at Markey Research Day 2012, May 15, 2012
Markey publications utilizing CRI collaboration, data sources and services:
- He C, Plattner R, Rangnekar V, Zhou BH, Liu C, Stewart RL, Huang B, Wang C, Tucker TC. Potential protein markers for breast cancer recurrence: a retrospective cohort study. Cancer Causes Control 30:41-51, 2019.
- Christian WJ, Vanderford NL, McDowell J, Huang B, Durbin EB, Absher KJ, Walker CJ, Arnold SM. Spatiotemporal analysis of lung cancer histological types in Kentucky, 1995-2014. Cancer Control 26:1073274819845873, 2019. PMCID: PMC6482657
- Liu J, Murali T, Yu T, Liu C, Sivakumaran TA, Moseley HNB, Zhulin IB, Weiss HL, Durbin EB, Ellingson SR, Liu J, Huang B, Hallahan BJ, Horbinski CM, Hodges K, Napier DL, Bocklage T, Mueller J, Vanderford NL, Fardo DW, Wang C, Arnold SM. Characterization of squamous cell lung cancers from Appalachian Kentucky. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 28:348-356, 2019. PMCID: PMC6363884
- Islamaj Dogan R, Kim S, Chatr-Aryamontri A, Wei CH, Comeau DC, Antunes R, Matos S, Chen Q, Elangovan A, Panyam NC, Verspoor K, Liu H, Wang Y, Liu Z, Altinel B, Husunbeyi ZM, Ozgur A, Fergadis A, Wang CK, Dai HJ, Tran T, Kavuluru R, Luo L, Steppi A, Zhang J, Qu J, Lu Z. Overview of the BioCreative VI Precision Medicine Track: mining protein interactions and mutations for precision medicine. Database (Oxford) 2019:2019. PMCID: PMC6348314
- Ickes M, Hester JW, Wiggins AT, Rayens MK, Hahn EJ, Kavuluru R. Prevalence and reasons for Juul use among college students. J Am Coll Health 1-5, 2019.
- Gan T, Sinner HF, Walling SC, Chen Q, Huang B, Tucker TC, Patel JA, Evers BM, Bhakta AS. Impact of the Affordable Care Act on colorectal cancer screening, incidence, and survival in Kentucky. J Am Coll Surg 228:342-353 e341, 2019.
- Gallaway MS, Huang B, Chen Q, Tucker TC, McDowell JK, Durbin EB, Stewart SL, Tai E. Smoking and Smoking Cessation Among Persons with Tobacco- and Non-tobacco-Associated Cancers. J Community Health 44:552-560, 2019. PMCID: PMC6504566
- Gallaway MS, Huang B, Chen Q, Tucker TC, McDowell J, Durbin EB, Siegel D, Tai E. Identifying Smoking Status and Smoking Cessation Using a Data Linkage Between the Kentucky Cancer Registry and Health Claims Data. JCO Clin Cancer Inform 3:1-8, 2019. PMCID: PMC6549228
- Goulart BHL, Silgard ET, Baik CS, Bansal A, Sun QP, Durbin, E. B., Hands I, Shah D, Arnold SM, Ramsey SD, Kavuluru R, Schwartz SM. Validity of Natural Language Processing for Ascertainment of EGFR and ALK Test Results in SEER Cases of Stage IV Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer. JCO Clin Cancer Inform 3:1-15, 2019.
- Unrine JM, Slone SA, Sanderson W, Johnson N, Durbin EB, Shrestha S, Hahn EJ, Feltner F, Huang B, Christian WJ, Mellon I, Orren DK, -TArnold SM. A case-control study of trace-element status and lung cancer in Appalachian Kentucky. PLoS One 14:e0212340, 2019. PMCID: PMC6392268
- Kavuluru R, Han S, Hahn EJ. On the popularity of the USB flash drive-shaped electronic cigarette Juul. Tob Control 2018. PMCID: PMC6186192
- Hahn EJ, Rayens MK, Wiggins AT, Gan W, Brown HM, Mullett TW. Kentucky Taps Into Data Repositories for an Attack on its Extraordinary Cancer Burden. OncologyLive, Vol. 20, No. 2, 2019.
- Ellingson SR, Miao Y, Baudry J, Smith JC. Multi-conformer ensemble docking to difficult protein targets. J Phys Chem B 119:1026-1034, 2015.
- Evangelista W, Weir RL, Ellingson SR, Harris JB, Kapoor K, Smith JC, Baudry J. Ensemble-based docking: From hit discovery to metabolism and toxicity predictions. Bioorg Med Chem 24:4928-4935, 2016. PMCID: PMC5073379
- Ellingson SR, Fardo DW. Automated quality control for genome wide association studies. F1000Res 5:1889, 2016. PMCID: PMC5007749
- Harris DR, Kavuluru R, Jaromczyk JW, Johnson TR. Rapid and reusable text visualization and exploration development with DELVE. AMIA Jt Summits Transl Sci Proc 2017:139-148, 2017. PMCID: PMC5543346
- Pravosud V, Huang B, Tucker TC, Vanderford NL. Development of multiple primary cancers in lung cancer patients: Appalachian versus Non-Appalachian populations of Kentucky. South Med J 110:775-781, 2017.
- Rios A, Kavuluru R. Ordinal convolutional neural networks for predicting RDoC positive valence psychiatric symptom severity scores. J Biomed Inform 75S:S85-S93, 2017. PMCID: PMC5682241
- Tran T, Kavuluru R. Predicting mental conditions based on "history of present illness" in psychiatric notes with deep neural networks. J Biomed Inform 75S:S138-S148, 2017. PMCID: PMC5705423
- Fagan J, Eddens KS, Dolly J, Vanderford NL, Weiss H, Levens JS. Assessing research collaboration through co-authorship network analysis. J Res Adm 49:76-99, 2018. PMCID: PMC6703830
- Hallowell BD, Saraiya M, Thompson TD, Unger ER, Lynch CF, Tucker T, Copeland G, Hernandez BY, Peters ES, Wilkinson E, Goodman MT. Population-based assessment of HPV genotype-specific cervical cancer survival: CDC Cancer Registry Sentinel Surveillance System. JNCI Cancer Spectr 2:2018. PMCID: PMC6309887
- Alghamedy F, Bopaiah J, Jones D, Zhang X, Weiss HL, Ellingson SR. Incorporating protein dynamics through ensemble docking in machine learning models to predict drug binding. AMIA Jt Summits Transl Sci Proc 2017:26-34, 2018. PMCID: PMC5961778
- Jones D, Bopaiah J, Alghamedy F, Jacobs N, Weiss HL, de Jong WA, Ellingson SR. Polypharmacology within the full kinome: A machine learning approach. AMIA Jt Summits Transl Sci Proc 2017:98-107, 2018. PMCID: PMC5961802
- Rios A, Durbin EB, Hands I, Arnold SM, Shah D, Schwartz SM, Goulart BHL, Kavuluru R. Cross-registry neural domain adaptation to extract mutational test results from pathology reports. J Biomed Inform 97:103267, 2019. PMCID: PMC6736690
- Tucker TC, Durbin EB, McDowell JK, Huang BCP. Unlocking the potential of population‐based cancer registries. Cancer 2019.
- Nichols D, Arnold S, Weiss HL, Wu J, Durbin EB, Miller RW, Kolesar J. Pharmacogenomic potential in advanced cancer patients. Am J Health Syst Pharm 76:415-423, 2019.
- Rios A, Kavuluru R. Neural transfer learning for assigning diagnosis codes to EMRs. Artif Intell Med 96:116-122, 2019.
- Hahn EJ, Rayens MK, Wiggins AT, Gan W, Brown HM, Mullett TW. Lung cancer incidence and the strength of municipal smoke-free ordinances. Cancer 124:374-380, 2018.
- Herbst RS, Redman MW, Kim ES, Semrad TJ, Bazhenova L, Masters G, Oettel K, Guaglianone P, Reynolds C, Karnad A, Arnold SM, Varella-Garcia M, Moon J, Mack PC, Blanke CD, Hirsch FR, Kelly K, Gandara DR. Cetuximab plus carboplatin and paclitaxel with or without bevacizumab versus carboplatin and paclitaxel with or without bevacizumab in advanced NSCLC (SWOG S0819): a randomised, phase 3 study. Lancet Oncol 19:101-114, 2018. PMCID: PMC5847342.
- Pavel M, Gross DJ, Benavent M, Perros P, Srirajaskanthan R, Warner RRP, Kulke MH, Anthony LB, Kunz PL, Horsch D, Weickert MO, Lapuerta P, Jiang W, Kassler-Taub K, Wason S, Fleming R, Fleming D,Garcia-Carbonero R. Telotristat ethyl in carcinoid syndrome: safety and efficacy in the TELECAST phase 3 trial. Endocr Relat Cancer 25:309-322, 2018. PMCID: PMC5811631.
- Ajkay N, Bhutiani N, Huang B, Chen Q, Howard JD, Tucker TC, Scoggins CR, McMasters KM, Polk HC, Jr. Early impact of medicaid expansion and quality of breast cancer care in Kentucky. J Am Coll Surg 226:498-504, 2018.
- Ore RM, Chen Q, DeSimone CP, Miller RW, Baldwin LA, van Nagell JR, Huang B, Tucker TC, Johnson MS, Fredericks TI, Ueland FR-DT. Population-based analysis of patient age and other disparities in the treatment of ovarian cancer in Central Appalachia and Kentucky. South Med J 111:333-341, 2018.
Kelly KR, Friedberg JW, Park SI, McDonagh K, Hayslip J, Persky D, Ruan J, Puvvada S, Rosen P, Iyer SP, Stefanovic A, Bernstein SH, Weitman S, Karnad A, Monohan G-DT, VanderWalde A, Mena R, Schmelz M, Spier C, Groshen S, Venkatakrishnan K, Zhou X, Sheldon-Waniga E, Leonard EJ, Mahadevan D. Phase I Study of the Investigational Aurora A Kinase Inhibitor Alisertib plus Rituximab or Rituximab/Vincristine in Relapsed/Refractory Aggressive B-cell Lymphoma. Clin Cancer Res 24:6150-59, 2018.
Paskett ED, Baltic RD, Young GS, Katz ML, Lesko SM, Webber KH, Roberto KA, Lengerich EJ, Schoenberg NE-CP, Kennedy SK, Mama S, Midkiff CC,Dignan MB-CP. A group randomized trial to reduce obesity among Appalachian church members: The Walk by Faith Study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 27:1289-97, 2018. PMCID: PMC6214791.
Peterson SL, Husnain M, Pollack T, Pimentel A, Loaiza-Bonilla A, Westendorf-Overley C, Ratermann K, Anthony L-DT, Desimone P, Goel G, Kudrimoti M-DT, Dineen S, Tzeng CD,Hosein PJ. Neoadjuvant nab-paclitaxel and gemcitabine in borderline resectable or locally advanced unresectable pancreatic adenocarcinoma in patients who are ineligible for FOLFIRINOX. Anticancer Res 38:4035-39, 2018.
Wise M, Marchand LR, Roberts LJ,Chih MY-CP. Suffering in advanced cancer: A randomized control trial of a narrative intervention. J Palliat Med 21:200-07, 2018. PMCID: PMC5797325.
Kavuluru R-CP, Han S,Hahn EJ-CP. On the popularity of the USB flash drive-shaped electronic cigarette Juul. Tob Control 2018. PMCID: PMC6186192.
Bakal G, Talari P, Kakani EV,Kavuluru R-CP. Exploiting semantic patterns over biomedical knowledge graphs for predicting treatment and causative relations. J Biomed Inform 82:189-99, 2018. PMCID: PMC6070294.
Chauhan A, Arnold SM-DT, Kolesar J-DT, Thomas HE, Evers M-DT,Anthony L-DT. Immune checkpoint inhibitors in large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma: current status. Oncotarget 9:14738-40, 2018. PMCID: PMC5865703
Chauhan A, Horn M, Magee G, Hodges K, Evers M-DT, Arnold S-DT,Anthony L-DT. Immune checkpoint inhibitors in neuroendocrine tumors: A single institution experience with review of literature. Oncotarget 9:8801-09, 2018. PMCID: PMC5823629
Chauhan A, Yu Q, Ray N, Farooqui Z, Huang B-CP, Durbin EB-CP, Tucker TC-CP, Evers M-DT, Arnold S-DT,Anthony LB-DT. Global burden of neuroendocrine tumors and changing incidence in Kentucky. Oncotarget 9:19245-54, 2018. PMCID: PMC5922392
Groves FD, Watkins BT, Roberts DJ, Tucker TC-CP, Shen T,Flood TJ. Birth weight and risk of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia in Arizona, Illinois, and Kentucky. South Med J 111:579-84, 2018.
Kumar SS, Hall L, Li X, Downes L, Shearer A, Shelton BJ-CP, Gerring S,McGarry RC-DT. Comparison of outcomes of stereotactic body radiation therapy delivered with three different technologies to the lung. J Radiosurg SBRT 5:209-16, 2018. PMCID: PMC6018041.
Smalls BL, Aroh A, McQuerry K, Adegboyega A, Schoenberg N-CP,Hatcher J. Social support and breast cancer screening in rural Appalachia. Psychooncology 27:2281-88, 2018.
Tran T,Kavuluru R-CP. An end-to-end deep learning architecture for extracting protein-protein interactions affected by genetic mutations. Database (Oxford) 2018:2018. PMCID: PMC6146129
Valentin VL, Sanderson W, Westneat S,Durbin E-CP. Late-stage melanoma: Be sure to screen uninsured, unmarried men. South Med J 111:649-53, 2018.
- Huang B-CP, Luo A, Durbin EB-CP, Lycan E, Tucker T-CP, Chen Q, Horbinski C-INT, Villano JL-DT. Incidence of CNS tumors in Appalachian children. J Neurooncol 132:507-512, 2017. PMCID: PMC5481463.
- Wu Y-CS, Wang Y, Lin Y-CS, Liu Y, Wang Y, Jia J-CS, Singh P-INT, Chi YI-INT, Wang C-CS, Dong C-INT, Li W-INT, Tao M-INT, Napier D, Shi Q, Deng J-INT, Evers BM-CS, Zhou BP-GEM. Dub3 inhibition suppresses breast cancer invasion and metastasis by promoting Snail1 degradation. Nat Commun 8:14228, 2017. PMCID: PMC5316870.
- Le AT, Huang B-CP, Hnoosh D, Saeed H-DT, Dineen SP, Hosein PJ, Durbin EB-CP, Kudrimoti M-DT, McGrath PC, Tzeng CD. Effect of complications on oncologic outcomes after pancreaticoduodenectomy for pancreatic cancer. J Surg Res 214:1-8, 2017.
- Mitov MI, Harris JW, Alstott MC, Zaytseva YY-GEM, Evers BM-CS, Butterfield DA-GEM. Temperature induces significant changes in both glycolytic reserve and mitochondrial spare respiratory capacity in colorectal cancer cell lines. Exp Cell Res 354:112-121, 2017. PMCID: PMC5480514.
- Wen YA, Xing X, Harris JW, Zaytseva YY-GEM, Mitov MI, Napier DL, Weiss HL-DT, Mark Evers B-CS, Gao T-CS. Adipocytes activate mitochondrial fatty acid oxidation and autophagy to promote tumor growth in colon cancer. Cell Death Dis 8:e2593, 2017. PMCID: PMC5386470.
- Arnold SM-DT, Chansky K-INT, Leggas M-DT, Thompson MA-INT, Villano JL-DT, Hamm J-INT, Sanborn RE-INT, Weiss GJ-INT, Chatta G-INT, Baggstrom MQ-INT. Phase 1b trial of proteasome inhibitor carfilzomib with irinotecan in lung cancer and other irinotecan-sensitive malignancies that have progressed on prior therapy (Onyx IST reference number: CAR-IST-553). Investigational New Drugs E-pub Feb, 2017.
- Baldwin LA, Chen Q, Tucker TC-CP, White CG-INT, Ore RN, Huang B-CP. Ovarian cancer incidence corrected for oophorectomy. Diagnostics (Basel) 7:2017. PMCID: PMC5489939.
- Yang Y, Shelton BJ-CP, Tucker TT-CP, Li L--INT, Kryscio R, Chen L-CP. Estimation of exposure distribution adjusting for association between exposure level and detection limit. Stat Med 36:2935-2946, 2017.
- Gore EM-INT, Hu C-INT, Sun AY-INT, Grimm DF-INT, Ramalingam SS-INT, Dunlap NE-INT, Higgins KA-INT, Werner-Wasik M-INT, Allen AM-INT, Iyengar P-INT, Videtic GMM-INT, Hales RK-INT, McGarry RC-DT, Urbanic JJ-INT, Pu AT-INT, Johnstone CA-INT, Stieber VW-INT, Paulus R-INT, Bradley JD-INT. Randomized phase II study comparing prophylactic cranial irradiation alone to prophylactic cranial irradiation and consolidative extra-cranial irradiation for extensive disease small cell lung cancer (ED-SCLC): NRG Oncology RTOG 0937. J Thorac Oncol 2017.
- Katsumata Y, Nelson PT, Ellingson SR-CS, Fardo DW. Gene-based association study of genes linked to hippocampal sclerosis of aging neuropathology: GRN, TMEM106B, ABCC9, and KCNMB2. Neurobiol Aging 53:193 e117-193 e125, 2017. PMCID: PMC5385271.
- Saeed H, Shrestha R, Nee J, Durbin E, Zia M, Ramlal R, Monohan G, Herzig R, Fleischman R, Hildebrandt G. CHEMOTHERAPY AND RADIATION IMPROVE SURVIVAL IN EARLY STAGE CLASSICAL HODGKIN LYMPHOMA, A STATEWIDE CANCER REGISTRY ANALYSIS. Haematologica 102:83-83, 2017.
- Arnold SM-DT, Chansky K-INT, Leggas M-DT, Thompson MA-INT, Villano JL-DT, Hamm J-INT, Sanborn RE-INT, Weiss GJ-INT, Chatta G-INT, Baggstrom MQ-INT. Phase 1b trial of proteasome inhibitor carfilzomib with irinotecan in lung cancer and other irinotecan-sensitive malignancies that have progressed on prior therapy (Onyx IST reference number: CAR-IST-553). Invest New Drugs 35:608-615, 2017. PMCID: PMC5577369.
- Gore EM-INT, Hu C-INT, Sun AY-INT, Grimm DF-INT, Ramalingam SS-INT, Dunlap NE-INT, Higgins KA-INT, Werner-Wasik M-INT, Allen AM-INT, Iyengar P-INT, Videtic GMM-INT, Hales RK-INT, McGarry RC-DT, Urbanic JJ-INT, Pu AT-INT, Johnstone CA-INT, Stieber VW-INT, Paulus R-INT, Bradley JD-INT. Randomized Phase II Study Comparing Prophylactic Cranial Irradiation Alone to Prophylactic Cranial Irradiation and Consolidative Extracranial Irradiation for Extensive-Disease Small Cell Lung Cancer (ED SCLC): NRG Oncology RTOG 0937. J Thorac Oncol 12:1561-1570, 2017. PMCID: PMC5610652.
- Ellingson SR-CS, Fardo DW. Automated quality control for genome wide association studies. F1000Res 5:1889, 2016. PMCID: PMC5007749.
- Evangelista W-INT, Weir RL-INT, Ellingson SR-CS, Harris JB-INT, Kapoor K-INT, Smith JC-INT, Baudry J-INT. Ensemble-based docking: From hit discovery to metabolism and toxicity predictions. Bioorg Med Chem 24:4928-4935, 2016. PMCID: PMC5073379
- Kudrimoti M-DT, Curtis A-INT, Azawi S-INT, Worden F-INT, Katz S-INT, Adkins D-INT, Bonomi M-INT, Elder J-INT, Sonis ST-INT, Straube R-INT, Donini O-INT. Dusquetide: A novel innate defense regulator demonstrating a significant and consistent reduction in the duration of oral mucositis in preclinical data and a randomized, placebo-controlled phase 2a clinical study. J Biotechnol 239:115-125, 2016.
- Hensley PJ, Zetter D, Horbinski CM-INT, Strup SE, Kyprianou N-CS. Association of epithelial-mesenchymal transition and nuclear cofilin with advanced urothelial cancer. Hum Pathol 57:68-77, 2016.
- Li J, Song J, Zaytseva YY-GE, Liu Y, Rychahou P, Jiang K, Starr ME, Kim JT, Harris JW, Yiannikouris FB, Katz WS, Nilsson PM-INT, Orho-Melander M-INT, Chen J, Zhu H-GE, Fahrenholz T, Higashi RM-GE, Gao T-CS, Morris AJ-CS, Cassis LA, Fan TW-GE, Weiss HL-DT, Dobner PR-INT, Melander O-INT, Jia J-CS, Evers BM. An obligatory role for neurotensin in high-fat-diet-induced obesity. Nature 533:411-415, 2016.
- Martin JT, Durbin EB-CP, Chen L-CP, Gal T, Mahan A, Ferraris V, Zwischenberger J. Nodal upstaging during lung cancer resection is associated with surgical approach. Ann Thorac Surg 101:238-244; discussion 244-235, 2016. PMCID: PMC4689653
- Martinez DJ-INT, Turner MM-INT, Pratt-Chapman M-INT, Kashima K-INT, Hargreaves MK-INT, Dignan MB-CP, Hebert JR-INT. The Effect of Changes in Health Beliefs Among African-American and Rural White Church Congregants Enrolled in an Obesity Intervention: A Qualitative Evaluation. J Community Health 41:518-525, 2016. PMCID: PMC4844792
- Rischin D-INT, Spigel DR-INT, Adkins D-INT, Wein R-INT, Arnold S-DT, Singhal N-INT, Lee O-INT, Murugappan S-INT. PRISM: Phase 2 trial with panitumumab monotherapy as second-line treatment in patients with recurrent or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Head and Neck-Journal for the Sciences and Specialties of the Head and Neck38:E1756-E1761, 2016.
- Saeed H, Hnoosh D, Huang B-CP, Durbin EB-CP, McGrath PC, Desimone P, Maynard E, Anthony LB-DT, Dineen SP, Hosein PJ-DT, Tzeng CW. Defining the optimal timing of adjuvant therapy for resected pancreatic adenocarcinoma: A statewide cancer registry analysis. J Surg Oncol114:451-455, 2016.
- Stewart RL, Carpenter BL, West DS, Knifley T, Liu LL-INT, Wang C-CS, Weiss HL-DT, Gal TS, Durbin EB-CP, Arnold SM-DT, O'Connor KL-CS, Chen M-CS. S100A4 drives non-small cell lung cancer invasion, associates with poor prognosis, and is effectively targeted by the FDA-approved anti-helminthic agent niclosamide. Oncotarget 7:34630-34642, 2016. PMCID: PMC5085181
- Stewart RL, West D, Wang C-CS, Weiss HL-DT, Gal T-INT, Durbin EB-CP, O'Connor W, Chen M-CS, O'Connor KL-CS. Elevated integrin alpha6beta4 expression is associated with venous invasion and decreased overall survival in non-small cell lung cancer. Hum Pathol 54:174-183, 2016. PMCID: PMC4938774
- van Nagell JR-DT, Miller RW-DT. Evaluation and management of ultrasonographically detected ovarian tumors in asymptomatic women. Obstetrics and Gynecology 127:848-858, 2016.
- Villano JL-DT, Durbin EB-CP, Normandeau C-INT, Thakkar JP, Moirangthem V and Davis FG-INT. Incidence of brain metastasis at initial presentation of lung cancer. Neuro-Oncology 17:122-8, 2015. PMCID: PMC4483041.
- Chen A, Chen L-CP, Al-Qaisi A, Romond E-DT, Awasthi M, Kadamyan-Melkumyan V and Massarweh S. Everolimus-Induced Hematologic Changes in Patients With Metastatic Breast Cancer. Clinical Breast Cancer 15:48-53, 2015. PMCID: Pharma.
- Rychahou P, Haque F, Shu Y, Zaytseva Y, Weiss HL-DT, Lee EY, Mustain W, Valentino J, Guo PX-DT and Evers BM-CS. Delivery of RNA Nanoparticles into Colorectal Cancer Metastases Following Systemic Administration. Acs Nano 9:1108-16, 2015. PMCID: PMC4613746.
- Zaytseva YY, Harris JW, Mitov MI, Kim JT, Butterfield DA-RR, Lee EY, Weiss HL-DT, Gao T-CS and Evers BM-CS. Increased expression of fatty acid synthase provides a survival advantage to colorectal cancer cells via upregulation of cellular respiration. Oncotarget 6:18891-904, 2015. PMCID: PMC4662462.
- Andrykowski MA-CP, Steffens RF, Bush HM and Tucker TC-CP. Lung Cancer Diagnosis and Treatment as a Traumatic Stressor in DSM-IV and DSM-5: Prevalence and Relationship to Mental Health Outcomes. Journal of Traumatic Stress 28:206-13, 2015. PMCID: KY Lung Res Pgm.
- C-INT, Weir HK-INT, Carreira H-INT, Harewood R-INT, Spika D-INT, Wang XS-INT, Bannon F-INT, Ahn JV-INT, Johnson CJ-INT, Bonaventure A-INT, Marcos-Gragera R-INT, Stiller C-INT, Silva GAE-INT, Chen WQ-INT, Ogunbiyi OJ-INT, Rachet B-INT, Soeberg MJ-INT, You H-INT, Matsuda T-INT, Bielska-Lasota M-INT, Storm H-INT, Tucker TC-CP, Coleman MP-INT and Grp CW. Global surveillance of cancer survival 1995-2009: analysis of individual data for 25 676 887 patients from 279 population-based registries in 67 countries (CONCORD-2). Lancet 385:977-1010, 2015. PMCID: CDC.
- Goodman MT-INT, Saraiya M-INT, Thompson TD-INT, Steinau M-INT, Hernandez BY-INT, Lynch CF-INT, Lyu CW-INT, Wilkinson EJ-INT, Tucker T-CP, Copeland G-INT, Peters ES-INT, Altekruse S-INT and Unger ER-INT. Human papillomavirus genotype and oropharynx cancer survival in the United States of America. Eur J Cancer 51:2759-67, 2015. PMCID: PMC4666760.
- Massarweh S, Romond E, Black EP, Van Meter E, Shelton B, Kadamyan-Melkumian V, Stevens M and Elledge R. A phase II study of combined fulvestrant and everolimus in patients with metastatic estrogen receptor (ER)-positive breast cancer after aromatase inhibitor (AI) failure (vol 143, pg 325, 2014). Breast Cancer Research and Treatment 149:565-, 2015.
- Nelson PT, Wang WX, Partch AB, Monsell SE, Valladares O, Ellingson SR, Wilfred BR, Naj AC, Wang LS, Kukull WA and Fardo DW. Reassessment of Risk Genotypes (GRN, TMEM106B, and ABCC9 Variants) Associated With Hippocampal Sclerosis of Aging Pathology. Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology 74:75-84, 2015. PMCID: PMC4270894.
- Knight JR, Huang B, Tucker T, Guo J, Maynard WR. Breast cancer in Kentucky: Prognosis and possibilities. J Ky Med Assoc 113:93-99, 2015.
- Ellingson SR, Wang C, Nagarajan R. Convex-hull voting method on a large data set. BMC Bioinformatics 16:P2-P2, 2015.
- Gal TS, Ellingson SR, Wang C, Liu J, Jarrett SG, D'Orazio JA. Using large public data repositories to discover novel genetic mutations with prospective links to melanoma. BMC Bioinformatics 16:P3-P3, 2015.
- Massarweh S, Romond E, Black EP, Van Meter E, Shelton B, Kadamyan-Melkumian V, Stevens M, and Elledge R. A phase II study of combined fulvestrant and everolimus in patients with metastatic estrogen receptor (ER)-positive breast cancer after aromatase inhibitor (AI) failure. Breast Cancer Res Treat 143: 325-332, 2014.
- Chen L, Voronovich Z, Clark K, Hands I, Mannas J, Walsh, M, Nikiforova MN, Durbin, EB, Weiss H, Horbinkski, C. Predicting the likelihood of an isocitrate dehydrogenase 1 or 2 mutation in diagnoses of infiltrative glioma. Neuro Oncol. 2014 May 23. (PMID: 24860178).
- Hopenhayn C-CP, Christian A-INT, Christian JW-INT, Watson M-INT, Unger ER-INT, Lynch CF-INT, Peters ES-INT, Wilkinson EJ-INT, Huang Y-INT, Copeland G-INT, Cozen W-INT, Saber MS-INT, Goodman MT-INT, Hernandez BY-INT, Steinau M-INT, Lyu C-INT, Tucker TT-CP, Saraiya M-INT. Prevalence of human papillomavirus types in invasive cervical cancers from seven US cancer registries prior to vaccine introduction. Journal of Lower Genital Tract Disease Jan:2014.
- Andrykowski MA, Steffens RF, Bush HM, Tucker TC. Disparities in mental health outcomes among lung cancer survivors associated with ruralness of residence. Psycho-Oncology 23:428-36, 2014.
- Flagg EW, Datta SD, Saraiya M, Unger ER, Peters E, Cole L, Chen VW, Tucker T, Byrne MJ, Copeland G, Silva W, Watson M, Weinstock H. Population-based surveillance for cervical cancer precursors in three central cancer registries, United States 2009. Cancer Causes and Control 25:571-81, 2014.
- Fleming ST, Mackley HB, Camacho F, Seiber EE, Gusani NJ, Matthews SA, Liao J, Yang TC, Hwang WK, Yao NL. Clinical, Sociodemographic, and Service Provider Determinants of Guideline Concordant Colorectal Cancer Care for Appalachian Residents. Journal of Rural Health 30:27-39, 2014.
- Kimmick G, Fleming ST, Sabatino SA, Wu XC, Hwang WK, Wilson JF, Lund MJ, Cress R, Anderson RT, Ctr Dis Control P. Comorbidity Burden and Guideline-Concordant Care for Breast Cancer. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 62:482-8, 2014.
- Long KL, Huang B, Guo J, Lee C, Sloan D, McKenzie S. Concerning Trends in Appalachian Patients with Thyroid Carcinoma. American Surgeon 80:620-3, 2014.
- Sabatino S, Thompson TD, Wu XC, Fleming ST, Kimmick GG, Trentham-Dietz A, Cress R, Anderson RT. The influence of diabetes severity on receipt of guideline-concordant treatment for breast cancer. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment 146:199-209, 2014.
- Sinno AK, Saraiya M, Thompson TD, Hernandez BY, Goodman MT, Steinau M, Lynch CF, Cozen W, Saber MS, Peters ES, Wilkinson EJ, Copeland G, Hopenhayn C, Watson M, Lyu C, Unger ER. Human Papillomavirus Genotype Prevalence in Invasive Vaginal Cancer From a Registry-Based Population. Obstetrics and Gynecology 123:817-21, 2014.
- Steinau M, Saraiya M, Goodman MT, Peters ES, Watson M, Cleveland JL, Lynch CF, Wilkinson EJ, Hernandez BY, Copeland G, Saber MS, Hopenhayn C, Huang YJ, Cozen W, Lyu C, Unger ER, Workgrp HPVTC. Human Papillomavirus Prevalence in Oropharyngeal Cancer before Vaccine Introduction, United States. Emerging Infectious Diseases 20:822-8, 2014.
- Wang D, Ho A, Hamilton AS, Wu XC, Lo M, Fleming S, Goodman M, Thompson T, Owen J. Type and dose of radiotherapy used for initial treatment of non-metastatic prostate cancer. Radiation Oncology 9:2014.
- Zelenskiy S, Thompson CL, Tucker TC, Li L. High Dietary Glycemic Load is Associated With Increased Risk of Colon Cancer. Nutrition and Cancer-an International Journal 66:362-8, 2014.
- Thakkar JP, McCarthy BJ, Villano JL. Age-Specific Cancer Incidence Rates Increase Through the Oldest Age Groups. American Journal of the Medical Sciences 348:65-70, 2014.
- Fleming ST, Hamilton AS, Sabatino SA, Kimmick GG, Wu XC, Owen JB, Huang B, Hwang W, Patterns Care Study G. Treatment patterns for prostate cancer comparison of medicare claims dataRosenthal to medical record review. Medical Care 2014;52:E58-E64.
- Rinehart J, Arnold S-DT, Kloecker G-INT, Lim A-INT, Zaydan MA-INT, Baeker T-INT, Maheshwari JG-INT, Carloss H-INT, Slone S, Shelton B-CP, Croley J, Kvale E-INT, Brooks M, Leggas M. Phase II randomized trial of carboplatin and gemcitabine with or without dexamethasone pre-treatment in patients with Stage IV non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 71:1375-1383, 2013.
- Antwi S-INT, Tucker TC-CP, Coker AL-CP, Fleming ST-CP. Racial disparities in survival after diagnosis of prostate cancer in Kentucky, 2001-2010. American Journal of Mens Health 7:306-316, 2013.
- Podzielinski I-INT, Saunders BA-INT, Kimbler KD, Branscum AJ-INT, Fung ET-INT, DePriest PD, van Nagell JR-DT, Ueland FR-DT, Baron AT. Apolipoprotein concentrations are elevated in malignant ovarian cyst fluids suggesting that lipoprotein metabolism is dysregulated in epithelial ovarian cancer. Cancer Invest 31:258-272, 2013.
- Skaggs HS-INT, Saunders BA-INT, Miller RW-DT, Goodrich ST-INT, King MS-INT, Kimbler KD, Branscum AJ-INT, Fung ET-INT, DePriest PD, van Nagell JR-DT, Ueland FR-DT, Baron AT. Ovarian cyst fluids are a cache of tumor biomarkers that include calgranulin A and calgranulin B isoforms. Cancer Invest 31:433-453, 2013.
- Casey BR, Crosby RA-CP, Vanderpool RC-CP, Dignan M-CP, Bates W. Predictors of initial uptake of human papillomavirus vaccine uptake among rural Appalachian young women. J Prim Prev 34:71-80, 2013. PMCID: PMC4758115.
- Hopenhayn C-CP, Christian WJ, Christian A, Studts J-CP, Mullet T. Factors associated with smoking abstinence after diagnosis of early stage lung cancer. Lung Cancer 80:55-61, 2013.
- Ye Q, Cai W, Zheng Y, Evers BM-CS, She QB-CS. ERK and AKT signaling cooperate to translationally regulate survivin expression for metastatic progression of colorectal cancer. Oncogene 33:1828-1839, 2013. PMCID: PMC3966979.
- Helmus DS-INT, Thompson CL-INT, Zelenskiy S-INT, Tucker TC-CP, Li L-INT. Red meat-derived heterocyclic amines increase risk of colon cancer: a population-based case-control study. Nutrition and Cancer-an International Journal 65:1141-1150, 2013. PMCID: PMC4045458.
- Reiter PL-INT, Fisher JL-INT, Hudson AG-INT, Tucker TC-CP, Plascak JJ-INT, Paskett ED-INT. Assessing the burden of HPV-related cancers in Appalachia. Hum Vaccin Immunother 9:96-102, 2013. PMCID: PMC3667951.
- Sanderson M-INT, Fowke JH-INT, Lipworth L-INT, Han XJ-INT, Ukoli F-INT, Coker AL-CP, Blot WJ-INT, Hargreaves MK-INT. Diabetes and prostate cancer screening in black and white men. Cancer Causes Control 24:1893-1899, 2013. PMCID: PMC3773007.
- Studts CR, Tarasenko YN-INT, Schoenberg NE-CP. Barriers to cervical cancer screening among middle-aged and older rural Appalachian women. J Community Health 38:500-512, 2013. PMCID: PMC3600402.
- Andrykowski MA, Steffens RF, Bush HM, Tucker TC-CP. Reports of 'growth' in survivors of non-small cell lung cancer and healthy controls: what is the value-added by the cancer experience? Psychooncology 22:2214-2219, 2013.
- Kavuluru R, Hands I, Durbin EB-CP, Witt L. Automatic extraction of ICD-O-3 primary sites from cancer pathology reports. AMIA Summits Transl Sci Proc 2013:112-116, 2013. PMCID: PMC3845766.
- Pavlik EJ, van Nagell JR, Jr. Early detection of ovarian tumors using ultrasound. Women's Health (Lond Engl) 9:39-55; quiz 56-37, 2013.
- Baldwin LA, Huang B, Miller RW, Tucker T, Goodrich ST, Podzielinski I, DeSimone CP, Ueland FR, van Nagell JR and Seamon LG. Ten-Year Relative Survival for Epithelial Ovarian Cancer. Obstetrics & Gynecology 120:612-8 10.1097/AOG.0b013e318264f794, 2012.
- Bardach SH, Schoenberg NE, Fleming ST and Hatcher J. Relationship Between Colorectal Cancer Screening Adherence and Knowledge Among Vulnerable Rural Residents of Appalachian Kentucky. Cancer Nurs 35:288-94, 2012. PMCID:3248994.
- Blake-Gumbs L, Chen Z, Thompson CL, Berger NA, Tucker TC and Li L. Adult BMI Change and Risk of Colon Cancer in Postmenopausal Women. Journal of Obesity 2012:2012. 3400390
- Burris JL, Jacobsen PB, Loftus LS and Andrykowski MA. Breast cancer recurrence risk reduction beliefs in breast cancer survivors: prevalence and relation to behavior. Psychooncology 21:427-35, 2012. PMCID:3116938.
- Chen L, Romond E, Chokshi S, Saeed H, Hodskins J, Stevens M, Pasley G, Weiss H and Massarweh S. A prognostic model of early breast cancer relapse after standard adjuvant therapy and comparison with metastatic disease on initial presentation. Breast cancer research and treatment 136:565-72, 2012. PMID: 23053651[PubMed in Process].
- Coker AL, Follingstad D, Garcia LS, Williams CM, Crawford TN and Bush HM. Association of Intimate Partner Violence and Childhood Sexual Abuse with Cancer-Related Well-Being in Women. Journal of women's health (2002) 2012. PMID 22946631
- Dragun AE, Huang B, Tucker TC and Spanos WJ. Increasing Mastectomy Rates Among all Age Groups for Early Stage Breast Cancer: A 10-Year Study of Surgical Choice. The Breast Journal 18:318-25, 2012. PMCID: 22607016
- Dragun AE, Huang B, Gupta S, Crew JB and Tucker TC. One Decade Later: Trends and Disparities in the Application of Post-Mastectomy Radiotherapy Since the Release of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Clinical Practice Guidelines. International Journal of Radiation Oncology* Biology* Physics 83:e591-e6, 2012. PMCID: 2276899.
- Freeman AB, Huang B and Dragun AE. Patterns of care with regard to surgical choice and application of adjuvant radiation therapy for preinvasive and early stage breast cancer in rural appalachia. Am J Clin Oncol 35:358-63, 2012 PMID: 21422902[PubMed -in process]
- Goedendorp MM, Andrykowski MA, Donovan KA, Jim HS, Phillips KM, Small BJ, Laronga C and Jacobsen PB. Prolonged impact of chemotherapy on fatigue in breast cancer survivors: a longitudinal comparison with radiotherapy-treated breast cancer survivors and noncancer controls. Cancer 118:3833-41, 2012.
- Head KJ and Cohen EL. Young Women's Perspectives on Cervical Cancer Prevention in Appalachian Kentucky. Qualitative Health Research 22:476-87, 2012.
- Studts CR, Tarasenko YN and Schoenberg NE. Barriers to cervical cancer screening among middle-aged and older rural appalachian women. J Community Health Published ahead of print Nov 2012.
- van Nagell JR, Jr. and Pavlik EJ. Ovarian cancer screening. Clin Obstet Gynecol 55:43-51, 2012. PMID: 223432228 [PubMed-in process}
- Christian WJ, Huang B, Rinehart J and Hopenhayn C. Exploring geographic variation in lung cancer incidence in Kentucky using a spatial scan statistic: elevated risk in the Appalachian coal-mining region. Public Health Rep 126:789-96, 2011. PMCID:3185314.
- Dragun AE, Huang B, Tucker TC and Spanos WJ. Disparities in the application of adjuvant radiotherapy after breast-conserving surgery for early stage breast cancer: impact on overall survival. Cancer 117:2590-8, 2011.
- Drew EM and Schoenberg NE. Deconstructing fatalism: ethnographic perspectives on women's decision making about cancer prevention and treatment. Med Anthropol Q 25:164-82, 2011. PMCID:3156035.
- Hatcher J, Dignan MB and Schoenberg N. How do rural health care providers and patients view barriers to colorectal cancer screening? Insights from appalachian kentucky. Nurs Clin North Am 46:181-92, vi, 2011. PMCID:3086300.
- Johnson N, Shelton BJ, Hopenhayn C, Tucker TT, Unrine JM, Huang B, Christian W, Zhang Z, Shi X and Li L. Concentrations of arsenic, chromium, and nickel in toenail samples from Appalachian Kentucky residents. J Environ Pathol Toxicol Oncol 30:213-23, 2011.
- Kelly KM, Shedlosky-Shoemaker R, Porter K, Desimone P and Andrykowski M. Cancer recurrence worry, risk perception, and informational-coping styles among Appalachian cancer survivors. J Psychosoc Oncol 29:1-18, 2011. PMCID:3322407.
- Leach CR, Schoenberg NE and Hatcher J. Factors associated with participation in cancer prevention and control studies among rural Appalachian women. Fam Community Health 34:119-25, 2011. PMCID:3086267.
- Seamon LG, Tarrant RL, Fleming ST, Vanderpool RC, Pachtman S, Podzielinski I, Branscum AJ, Feddock JM, Randall ME and Desimone CP. Cervical cancer survival for patients referred to a tertiary care center in Kentucky. Gynecol Oncol 123:565-70, 2011
- Tarasenko Y and Schoenberg N. Colorectal cancer screening among rural Appalachian residents with multiple morbidities. Rural and Remote Health 11:50-76, 2011.
- Tucker T, Huang B, Bennett J, Durbin E and Jones W. The effect of insurance on stage at diagnosis for colorectal cancer patients in Kentucky. J Ky Med Assoc 109:63-8, 2011.
- van Nagell JR, Jr., Miller RW, DeSimone CP, Ueland FR, Podzielinski I, Goodrich ST, Elder JW, Huang B, Kryscio RJ and Pavlik EJ. Long-term survival of women with epithelial ovarian cancer detected by ultrasonographic screening. Obstet Gynecol 118:1212-21, 2011. PMID: 22105249[PubMed-in process]
- Zhang Z, Wang X, Cheng S, Sun L, Son YO, Yao H, Li W, Budhraja A, Li L, Shelton BJ, Tucker T, Arnold SM and Shi X. Reactive oxygen species mediate arsenic induced cell transformation and tumorigenesis through Wnt/beta-catenin pathway in human colorectal adenocarcinoma DLD1 cells. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 256:114-21, 2011.
- Andrykowski MA and Burris JL. Use of formal and informal mental health resources by cancer survivors: differences between rural and nonrural survivors and a preliminary test of the theory of planned behavior. Psychooncology 19:1148-55, 2010. PMCID:2889207.
- Andrykowski MA, Burris JL, Walsh E, Small BJ and Jacobsen PB. Attitudes toward information about genetic risk for cognitive impairment after cancer chemotherapy: breast cancer survivors compared with healthy controls. J Clin Oncol 28:3442-7, 2010. PMCID:2917210.
- Gal TJ, Shinn J and Huang B. Current epidemiology and management trends in acoustic neuroma. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 142:677-81, 2010.
- Ochs-Balcom HM, Thompson CL, Plummer S, Luo G, Tucker TC, Casey G and Li L. A RecQ Protein-like 5 Haplotype is Associated With Colon Cancer. Gastroenterology Research 3:101-5, 2010.
- Stroup A, Durbin E, Harrell C, Kim H, Williams J and Dibble R. Geographic Patterns in Lung Cancer Incidence and Mortality in Utah: 1997-2006. Utah's Health: An Annual Review 15:44-50, 2010.
- Thompson CL, Plummer SJ, Tucker TC, Casey G and Li L. Interleukin-22 genetic polymorphisms and risk of colon cancer. Cancer Cause Control 21:1165-70, 2010.
- Coker AL, DeSimone CP, Eggleston KS, Hopenhayn C, Nee J and Tucker T. Smoking and survival among Kentucky women diagnosed with invasive cervical cancer: 1995-2005. Gynecol Oncol 112:365-9, 2009. PMCID:2661148.
- Huang B, Carloss H, Wyatt SW and Riley E. Hormone replacement therapy and survival in lung cancer in postmenopausal women in a rural population. Cancer 115:4167-75, 2009.
- Huang B, Dignan M, Han D and Johnson O. Does distance matter? Distance to mammography facilities and stage at diagnosis of breast cancer in Kentucky. J Rural Health 25:366-71, 2009.
- Phillips LS, Thompson CL, Merkulova A, Plummer SJ, Tucker TC, Casey G and Li L. No association between phosphatase and tensin homolog genetic polymorphisms and colon cancer. World J Gastroenterol 15:3771-5, 2009. PMCID:2726455.
- Salsman JM, Segerstrom SC, Brechting EH, Carlson CR and Andrykowski MA. Posttraumatic growth and PTSD symptomatology among colorectal cancer survivors: a 3-month longitudinal examination of cognitive processing. Psychooncology 18:30-41, 2009. PMCID:3319916.
- Thompson CL, Plummer SJ, Acheson LS, Tucker TC, Casey G and Li L. Association of common genetic variants in SMAD7 and risk of colon cancer. Carcinogenesis 30:982-6, 2009. PMCID:2691142.
- Thompson CL, Plummer SJ, Merkulova A, Cheng I, Tucker TC, Casey G and Li L. No association between cyclooxygenase-2 and uridine diphosphate glucuronosyltransferase 1A6 genetic polymorphisms and colon cancer risk. World J Gastroenterol 15:2240-4, 2009. PMCID:2682239.
- Hopenhayn C, King JB, Christian A, Huang B and Christian WJ. Variability of cervical cancer rates across 5 Appalachian states, 1998-2003. Cancer 113:2974-80, 2008.
- Huang B, Valentino J, Wyatt SW and Gal TJ. Incidence of oral cavity and pharynx cancer in Kentucky. J Ky Med Assoc 106:355-60, 2008.
- Li L, Plummer SJ, Thompson CL, Merkulova A, Acheson LS, Tucker TC and Casey G. A common 8q24 variant and the risk of colon cancer: a population-based case-control study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17:339-42, 2008.
- Li L, Plummer SJ, Thompson CL, Tucker TC and Casey G. Association between phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase regulatory subunit p85alpha Met326Ile genetic polymorphism and colon cancer risk. Clin Cancer Res 14:633-7, 2008.
- Martin FM, Harris AM, Rowland RG, Conner W, Lane M, Durbin E, Baron AT and Kyprianou N. Decreased risk of bladder cancer in men treated with quinazoline-based α1-adrenoceptor antagonists. Gene therapy & molecular biology 12:253, 2008. PMCID: 2921713
- Nock NL, Thompson CL, Tucker TC, Berger NA and Li L. Associations between obesity and changes in adult BMI over time and colon cancer risk. Obesity 16:1099-104, 2008.
- Ochs-Balcom HM, Cicek MS, Thompson CL, Tucker TC, Elston RC, Plummer SJ, Casey G and Li L. Association of vitamin D receptor gene variants, adiposity and colon cancer. Carcinogenesis 29:1788-93, 2008. PMCID: 2722851
- Harris AM, Warner BW, Wilson JM, Becker A, Rowland RG, Conner W, Lane M, Kimbler K, Durbin EB, Baron AT and Kyprianou N. Effect of alpha1-adrenoceptor antagonist exposure on prostate cancer incidence: an observational cohort study. J Urology 178:2176-80, 2007. PMCID:2084470.
- Hopenhayn C, Christian A, Christian WJ and Schoenberg NE. Human papillomavirus vaccine: knowledge and attitudes in two Appalachian Kentucky counties. Cancer Cause Control 18:627-34, 2007.
- Hopenhayn C, Tucker T, Christian A and Christian WJ. Patterns of cervical cancer risk in Kentucky. J Ky Med Assoc 105:205-8, 2007.
- Kelly KM, Phillips CM, Jenkins C, Norling G, White C, Jenkins T, Armstrong D, Petrik J, Steinkuhl A, Washington R and Dignan M. Physician and staff perceptions of barriers to colorectal cancer screening in Appalachian Kentucky. Cancer Control 14:167-75, 2007.
- Kloecker GH, Studts JL, Laber DA and Bousamra M. Lung cancer in the US and in Kentucky. J Ky Med Assoc 105:159-64, 2007.
- van Nagell Jr JR, DePriest PD, Ueland FR, DeSimone CP, Cooper AL, McDonald JM, Pavlik EJ and Kryscio RJ. Ovarian cancer screening with annual transvaginal sonography. Cancer 109:1887-96, 2007.