The team at UK Markey Cancer Center provides specialized care to patients with skin cancers of the head and neck.
Expert care for skin cancers of the head and neck
We treat head and neck skin cancers that are recurring, have spread to the lymph nodes or are close to delicate parts of the neck and head.
Many patients come to us after seeing a family doctor, dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Our head and neck surgeons, or otolaryngologists, specialize in treating skin cancers on these delicate parts of the body.
We offer in-office biopsies and analysis of results for a quick diagnosis for skin cancer patients, often the same day of your first visit.
Our surgeons also perform reconstructive surgery when it’s needed. If patients need chemotherapy, we have medical oncologists who specialize in providing therapy targeted to each patient’s individual needs.
Types of cancers we treat
Many skin cancers often form on the head or neck, especially the nose, ears and lips, which are especially vulnerable to sun exposure.
The cancers we treat include:
- Basal cell carcinoma: This is the most common type of skin cancer and the most curable.
- Squamous cell carcinoma: The second most common skin cancer, it may need aggressive surgery.
- Melanoma: This is the most serious type of skin cancer and is more likely to spread to other parts of the body.
- Sarcoma: While sarcoma is not a skin cancer, it can develop deep in the skin, bones or tissue
Signs of skin cancer on the face, head and neck
Symptoms of these skin cancers may include:
- An unusual growth on the skin
- Change in the size or shape of a mole, as well as bleeding or crusting
- Swollen lymph nodes in the neck
Make an appointment
Request an appointment online or call 859-257-4488 or 866-340-4488 (toll free).
Learn more about the Head & Neck cancer team with the provider profiles below.
- Rony K. Aouad, MD
- Thomas J. Gal, MD, MPH, FACS
- Alexandra E. Kejner, MD, FACS
- Joseph Valentino, MD, FACS
- Melvyn S. Yeoh, MD, DMD, FACS
- For your first visit, you will be directed to the Ben F. Roach Cancer Care Facility (Pavilion CC) of the Markey Cancer Center. Get directions to the Ben F. Roach Cancer Care Facility.
- You can register at the front desk, where a receptionist will help guide you through your appointment.
- Free parking is available in the Whitney-Hendrickson parking lot.
- Please remember to bring your patient packet with the completed forms. These items will help your doctor learn more about your case and determine the best plan for your care.
- Review the patient handbook to learn about your stay and everything Markey offers for patients and families.
- UK HealthCare accepts many forms of insurance.
Clinical trials give patients at Markey the chance to try out new treatments that aren’t widely available. These studies are painstakingly researched before they reach our patients.
Find a head and neck skin cancer clinical trial
Our clinical trials database includes the latest head and neck cancer in progress at Markey.