Healthcare providers and researchers at the UK Markey Cancer Center are committed to better understanding, detecting, and treating cancer. To fulfill this mission, Markey has joined a network of other cancer centers across the country, called ORIEN, in offering Total Cancer Care® (TCC), a study intended to improve care and quality of life for people affected by cancer.
Who can participate?
You can participate in Total Cancer Care® if you meet the following criteria:
- You have been diagnosed with cancer or are at risk for cancer.
- You are 18 or older.
- You are willing to participate in research and share information.
Why should I participate?
The new knowledge generated from Total Cancer Care® may accelerate cancer research and help other patients. It might also:
- Give physicians a better understanding of patient outcomes and treatment options
- Help patients find clinical trials that match the details of their diagnosis
- Figure out the long-term effects of different cancers and treatment choices
- Combine genetics, medical history and lifestyle to identify ways to prevent and diagnose cancer
- Develop a molecular database that can serve as a resource for future research
It costs nothing to participate, requires no extra doctor visits, and may benefit you and future cancer patients.
How do I participate?
Ask your doctor for more information about Total Cancer Care®. Study representatives are often located in many of Markey’s clinics, and they are happy to provide you with more information.
If you do decide to participate in TCC, you may be asked if you would like to give permission for study staff to do the following:
- Study and review your medical records.
- Collect tissue, blood, and other body fluids. We ask for your permission to study the extra tissue that would otherwise be discarded/thrown out. We may also collect additional blood and other samples during your scheduled appointments. At the appointment when you join the study, we will ask to collect a saliva sample from you using a swab.
- Stay in touch with you over time to contact you about future research studies or to collect more information.
To speak to a study staff member, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-844-622-0341.
The Total Cancer Care® protocol is used by all institutions within the Oncology Research Information Exchange Network (ORIEN), a collaboration among several of the leading cancer centers nationwide that was originally founded by Moffitt Cancer Center and The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center.
TCC and ORIEN objectives:
- Provide a standard system for studying large numbers of patients and their tissue samples for future research through a large tissue and data repository.
- Perform research grade whole exome sequencing and RNA sequencing for a subset of eligible patients
- Create collaborations for clinical trials amongst the ORIEN members to develop better therapeutic options for patients.
To have your patients enrolled in TCC, please email a list of your patients to MCCORIEN@uky.edu.
As part of the Total Cancer Care study, the project allows for sharing of specimen as well as clinical and genomic data, including whole exome and RNASeq data, to be used for future research studies. Researchers who are interested in using the data or specimen collected under this protocol must complete the data request form.