Are you interested in giving some of your time to help others during what can be a stressful period in their lives? Looking for a way to give back to the community? Curious to learn more about healthcare professions?
If you answered "yes" to any of the above, why not become a UK HealthCare volunteer? Our office offers volunteers an opportunity to use their abilities to improve the patient and family experience.
Adults 18 and older are welcome and encouraged to join us in caring for the people of the Commonwealth, and we have a yearly summer program for teens 14 to 17.
Volunteers are asked to commit to a minimum of two hours a week, and there is no maximum. We'll work with you to create a schedule that fits your lifestyle.
Benefits of volunteering
When you volunteer at UK HealthCare, you'll know you're helping people who really need you. Our volunteers say that the time they give at UK HealthCare is an invaluable experience and that the appreciation of the people they help is the greatest reward.
We also like to recognize our volunteers for all the hard work they do. Our volunteers receive:
- Special celebrations throughout the year.
- Group outings, including trips to Keeneland and other historic places across Kentucky.
- Free parking passes (not available for current UK employees and students).
- Free LexTran fare with your UK volunteer ID badge.
- Discounts on meals in our cafeterias and cafe areas.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer at UK HealthCare! Volunteers help across the healthcare campus, including UK Chandler and UK Good Samaritan emergency departments, information desks, surgery waiting rooms, gift shops and ambulatory clinics. We have Child Life opportunities available in the Kentucky Children's Hospital, but are not accepting new volunteers for our Baby Cuddling program. This page will be updated as soon as openings occur.
Our application process consists of the following:
- Completed application packet
- In-person interview
- Background check/drug screening is required for every adult over 18 (not required for teens)
- Medical screens (including TB risk assessment and blood test; proof of immunity to MMR, Varicella, and Tdap; and flu shot during flu season).
Thanks for your interest in our 2019 Summer Teen Volunteer Program! Applications have now closed; all completed applications are being reviewed.
Additional information for teens who've already applied
Applicants will be notified via email of their acceptance status by April 19 and will have until May 3 to confirm their participation in the program. Once accepted into the program, teens will be required to submit proof of either a TB blood test or a two-step TB skin test at their placement interview. Teens will need to attend a 30 minute placement interview between May 13 and June 4. Mandatory all day orientation will be held from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday, June 12.
Teens purchase a standard blue polo shirt for $20. The polos are worn with full length khaki or black pants, closed toe shoes and ID badge while volunteering.
Timeline for the program:
Friday, April 19: Acceptance letters will be emailed to the volunteer teen applicant
Friday, May 3: Deadline to confirm acceptance in the program.
May 13 – June 4: Accepted students required to attend a 30 minute placement interview.
Wednesday, June 12: Mandatory Teen Orientation
June 17 – July 26: Six week teen program
For questions and/or concerns, please contact Sara Camic, UK HealthCare volunteer coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 859-323-4117.
Hello students! We are do not accept new college students during the summer due to our teen program. Information for the Fall 2019 semester will be posted August 1, 2019.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at UK HealthCare. Our volunteers are invaluable to us and play an integral role in ensuring our patients, visitors, and even our staff, have a positive experience here at UK HealthCare.
Our Spring 2019 Adult Application window has closed. If you are interested in being notified the next time our application opens, please click here to submit your contact information.
- Please note: this link is for volunteers who are not currently enrolled in a high school, university or college. Students are processed differently; specific information can be found in the sections above.
Questions can be emailed to Volunteer Services.
Our current wish list
The following items are things that patients will frequently request from our office. All donations should be brand new and not marked with any political/religious affiliations. Donations can be dropped off during normal business hours to Volunteer Services between the hours of 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. We are located at 1000 South Limestone, Lexington, KY 40536.
- Activity books (puzzles, crosswords, seek and finds, Sudoku, etc.)
- Coloring books
- Writing utensils (pens, pencils, colored pencils, crayons)
- Small, compact games (such as decks of cards)
- Brand new underwear (men and women, all sizes)
- Sweatshirts, and sweatpants/yoga pants/pajama pants (men and women, sizes S, M, L, XL, XXL)
UK HealthCare does not accept volunteers requiring court-ordered community service hours.
Our volunteer program is unable to offer externships, internships, job shadowing, drop-in assignments, etc.
Volunteering at UK HealthCare does not lead to employment within the University of Kentucky system.