Volunteer at UK HealthCare
Are you interested in giving some of your time to help others during what can be a stressful period in their lives? Looking for a way to give back to the community? Curious to learn more about healthcare professions?
If you answered "yes" to any of the above, why not become a UK HealthCare volunteer? Our office offers volunteers an opportunity to use their abilities to improve the patient and family experience.
Adults 18 and older are welcome and encouraged to join us in caring for the people of the Commonwealth, and we have a yearly summer program for teens 14 to 17.
Volunteers are asked to commit to a minimum of two hours a week, and there is no maximum. We'll work with you to create a schedule that fits your lifestyle.
Benefits of volunteering
When you volunteer at UK HealthCare, you'll know you're helping people who really need you. Our volunteers say that the time they give at UK HealthCare is an invaluable experience and that the appreciation of the people they help is the greatest reward.
We also like to recognize our volunteers for all the hard work they do. Our volunteers receive:
- Special celebrations throughout the year.
- Group outings, including trips to Keeneland and other historic places across Kentucky.
- Free parking passes (not available for current UK employees and students).
- Free LexTran fare with your UK volunteer ID badge.
- Discounts on meals in our cafeterias and cafe areas.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer at UK HealthCare! Volunteers help across the healthcare campus, including UK Chandler and UK Good Samaritan emergency departments, information desks, surgery waiting rooms, gift shops and ambulatory clinics. We also have Child Life opportunities available in the Kentucky Children's Hospital.
Our application process consists of the following:
- Completed application packet
- In-person interview
- Background check/drug screening is required for every adult over 18 (not required for teens)
- Medical screens (including TB risk assessment and blood test; proof of immunity to MMR, Varicella, Covid, and Tdap; and flu shot during flu season).
COVID Vaccine Statement:
The University of Kentucky considers the health, safety and well-being of our entire community to be a top priority. In alignment with this priority, all current and new volunteers must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination or obtain an approved medical or religious exemption in order to volunteer. Volunteering cannot begin until (at least) two weeks after receiving the full COVID-19 vaccination series or upon obtaining an approved exemption. Only vaccines approved by the World Health Organization can be accepted.
Requesting medical or religious exemption from vaccine requirement
If you would like to request an exemption (religious or medical) from the COVID vaccine mandate, follow the instructions outlined below.
- If requesting medical exemption, print and complete the provider letter. The signed form will need to be uploaded through MyChart exemption process.
- All requests for exemptions will be processed electronically, through Epic and your MyChart account. How to Access and Complete an Immunization Declination Request Form – UK HealthCare
- Information on how to sign up for MyChart is included here. You do not need to be a patient of UK HealthCare to have a MyChart account.
If an exemption is granted, the unvaccinated volunteer shall be subject to certain conditions, including regular COVID-19 testing, provided by UK HealthCare.
We have filled all college volunteer spots for the Fall 2022 semester and will not be adding anymore names to our waitlist. Please check back in December 2022 for information on the Spring 2023 semester.
We are not accepting applications for adult volunteers at this time. We will return to general onboarding for adult volunteers in 2023.
Our current wish list
The following items are things that patients will frequently request from our office. All donations should be brand new and not marked with any political/religious affiliations. Donations can be dropped off during normal business hours to Volunteer Services between the hours of 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. We are located at 1000 South Limestone, Lexington, KY 40536.
- Activity books (puzzles, crosswords, seek and finds, Sudoku, etc.)
- Coloring books
- Writing utensils (pens, pencils, colored pencils, crayons)
- Small, compact games (such as decks of cards)
- Brand new underwear (men and women, all sizes)
- Sweatshirts, and sweatpants/yoga pants/pajama pants (men and women, sizes S, M, L, XL, XXL; maternity wear also appreciated)
Special holiday project: The Snow Bunny Baby Baskets! Several years ago, one of our NICU volunteers decided to put together baskets for families of NICU babies around the holidays. The project has grown, and we now put together baskets for every NICU baby in Lexington! This volunteer-led project relies on donations. For some information on the project, including how to donate, visit this Facebook page.
UK HealthCare does not accept volunteers requiring court-ordered community service hours.
Our volunteer program is unable to offer externships, internships, job shadowing, drop-in assignments, etc.
Volunteering at UK HealthCare does not lead to employment within the University of Kentucky system.