Volunteer at UK HealthCare
Are you interested in giving some of your time to help others during what can be a stressful period in their lives? Looking for a way to give back to the community? Curious to learn more about healthcare professions?
If you answered "yes" to any of the above, why not become a UK HealthCare volunteer? Our office offers volunteers an opportunity to use their abilities to improve the patient and family experience.
Adults 18 and older are welcome and encouraged to join us in caring for the people of the Commonwealth, and we have a yearly summer program for teens 14 to 17.
Volunteers are asked to commit to a minimum of two hours a week, and there is no maximum. We'll work with you to create a schedule that fits your lifestyle.
Benefits of volunteering
When you volunteer at UK HealthCare, you'll know you're helping people who really need you. Our volunteers say that the time they give at UK HealthCare is an invaluable experience and that the appreciation of the people they help is the greatest reward.
We also like to recognize our volunteers for all the hard work they do. Our volunteers receive:
- Special celebrations throughout the year.
- Group outings, including trips to Keeneland and other historic places across Kentucky.
- Free parking passes (not available for current UK employees and students).
- Free LexTran fare with your UK volunteer ID badge.
- Discounts on meals in our cafeterias and cafe areas.
Thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer at UK HealthCare! Volunteers help across the healthcare campus, including UK Chandler and UK Good Samaritan emergency departments, information desks, surgery waiting rooms, gift shops and ambulatory clinics. We also have Child Life opportunities available in the Kentucky Children's Hospital.
Our application process consists of the following:
- Completed application packet
- In-person interview
- Background check/drug screening is required for every adult over 18 (not required for teens)
- Medical screens (including TB risk assessment and blood test; proof of immunity to MMR, Varicella, Covid, and Tdap; and flu shot during flu season).
COVID Vaccine Statement: As of August 1st, 2023 UK HealthCare is not mandating the COVID vaccine for volunteers.
We had a very successful 2023 Summer Teen Volunteer Program. Thank you to all of our teen volunteers! Please check back in February 2024 for details on next summer's program.
College volunteer spots for the fall 2023 semester have been filled. Please check back in December for information on the spring 2023 semester.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at UK HealthCare. Our volunteers are invaluable to us and play an integral role in ensuring our patients, visitors, and staff, have the absolute best experience here at UK HealthCare.
Please review the following two documents:
Applications for adults are now open and will close on Saturday, September 30 at midnight. The application timeline is below:
- Applications now open online via link provided here: https://redcap.uky.edu/redcap/surveys/?s=JWW4E9NTPE
- Deadline to apply: Saturday, September 30
- Selected individuals will be contacted via email to sign-up for interviews during the week of October 2
- College and teen applicants will not be considered
- Interviews will be held between October 10 – 20, 2023
- Onboarding and orientation to follow upon successful completion of all screenings
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you again for your time and interest in volunteering with UK HealthCare. We look forward to meeting you!
Manager, Volunteer Services
Our current wish list
The following items are things that patients will frequently request from our office. All donations should be brand new and not marked with any political/religious affiliations. Donations can be dropped off during normal business hours to Volunteer Services between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. We are located at 1000 South Limestone, Lexington, KY 40536.
- Activity books (puzzles, crosswords, seek and finds, Sudoku, etc.)
- Coloring books
- Writing utensils (pens, pencils, colored pencils, crayons)
- Small, compact games (such as decks of cards)
- Brand new underwear (men and women, all sizes)
- Sweatshirts, and sweatpants/yoga pants/pajama pants (men and women, sizes S, M, L, XL, XXL; maternity wear also appreciated)
Special holiday project: The Snow Bunny Baby Project! Starting in 2015 with donated baskets to UKHC patients, this project has grown over the years and is now its own 501(c)(3) nonprofit. This volunteer-led project relies on donations. For more information on the project, including how to donate, visit the website.
UK HealthCare does not accept volunteers requiring court-ordered community service hours.
Our volunteer program is unable to offer externships, internships, job shadowing, drop-in assignments, etc.
Volunteering at UK HealthCare does not lead to employment within the University of Kentucky system.