Dietetics Internship Application Process
Applicants must meet the following requirements for entrance into this internship:
- A minimum total GPA, DPD GPA and/or science GPA of 3.0
- Completion of Baccalaureate degree of a Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) with a signed “Verification Statement”
- Completion of Master's Degree prior to the start date of the internship
- An official university transcript showing award of at least a Master's degree
2024 Commission on Dietetic Registration Mandate
Effective January 1, 2024, the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) will require a minimum of a master’s degree to be eligible to take the credentialing exam to become a registered dietitian nutritionist (RDN). Those applying for the University of Kentucky Hospital Dietetic Internship in Spring 2023, or after, will be required to have completed a master’s degree as a requirement for admission to this program.
Admissions will also be based on the application submitted through DICAS, personal statement, transcripts/grades, letters of recommendation and work/volunteer experience.
All applicants meeting the academic requirements and technical standards shall be considered equally for admission to the program, regardless of race, color, national origin, ethnic origin, religion, creed, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, uniformed service, political belief, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, marital status, genetic information, social or economic status, or whether the person is a smoker or nonsmoker, as long as the person complies with university policy concerning smoking.
How to Apply
Prospective students wanting to apply to the program should complete the following steps:
- This program uses the online Dietetic Internship Centralized Application System (DICAS), which can be found on the DICAS portal. The fee to use DICAS is $50 for the first application and $25 for each additional application. DICAS requires the following components:
- General Application
- Personal Statement: The personal statement should be submitted through DICAS. The personal statement should tell us about the person, not just list courses or accomplishments that we can find elsewhere in the application. It is a time to tell us why you think our program is a good match for your goals as well as a time to address any “hiccups” in the application.
- Transcripts: Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended should be sent to DICAS following the process outlined on the DICAS portal. Applicants who are accepted will be required to submit a final official transcript illustrating achievement and conferral date of at least a Baccalaureate degree before the internship program starts.
- Declaration of Intent form or Verification Statement: Your didactic program director must review your declaration of intent or verification statement using the process outlined on the DICAS portal. Applicants who submit a Declaration of Intent form and are accepted will be required to submit a Verification Statement before the internship program starts.
- References (a.k.a. Recommendations): Three letters of recommendation are required. We do not specify who these letters need to come from, but should best illustrate your capabilities as a future dietetic intern. When completing the application form, applicants must include the name and contact information (specifically an e-mail address) for each reference. This will trigger an e-mail message requesting completion of a reference form. The form will be completed online.
- Applicants must also register online for computer matching at D&D Digital and select dietetic internship priority choices by the set due date. There is a $55 computer matching fee. (See Computer Matching information below.)
- The UK Hospital Internship application fee is $40 and should be postmarked by the DICAS application deadline. This is separate from the DICAS fee mentioned above. A check made payable to UK Nutrition Department for $40 should be sent to:
Emily Bugay, MS, RD, LD, CCTD
Dietetic Internship Director
University of Kentucky Hospital
800 Rose Street, H036B
Lexington, KY 40536-0293
Interviews will be conducted via virtual format for top applicants between the February application deadline and the April Appointment Day. If you have been selected for an interview, we will contact you either via telephone or email using the information provided on your DICAS application.
All applicants to Dietetic Internships (DI) must participate in the D&D Digital computer matching process. Computer matching enables a student to be assigned to a requested internship program that has also expressed interest in the student. Applicants must register, pay the computer matching fee, and prioritize their DI preferences online at D&D Digital by Feb. 15. There is a $55 computer matching fee. For additional computer matching information, contact:
D&D Digital Systems
3100 S Riverside Drive
P.O. Box 887
Ames IA 50010
D&D Digital website
D&D will notify each student applicant about the dietetic internship program to which he or she has been “matched” on Applicant Notification Day.
The student must notify the program director via email (email@example.com) by 11 a.m. (EST) on or before Applicant Appointment Day to confirm acceptance of the internship assignment. After this time, the program is under no obligation to hold the opening for the matched applicant.
Please consult the Academy/ACEND website to review Applicant Responsibilities for the Application, Computer Matching and Appointment Procedures.
Background Check & Drug Test
Applicants accepted to the program will be required to undergo a background check and drug screen prior to starting the program. Please consider your own circumstances before applying to the program.