Amenities & Resources A to Z
- Advance directives/living wills
- Communication needs (interpreters/translators)
- Confidentiality/privacy (HIPAA)
- Fax and copy machines
- Gift shops
- Guest accommodations
- Health Education Center
- Lost & found
- Medical records
- My UK HealthCare Patient Portal
- Patient & family services (case management)/social workers
- Post office
- Proxy accounts
- Public transportation
- Tobacco use
- Visiting hours
Advance directives/living wills: Advance directives are legal documents that allow you to convey your decisions about your healthcare ahead of time, in case you become unable to speak for yourself. We recommend all patients have an advance directive, which includes appointing a healthcare surrogate (someone who knows your wishes and can speak for you), or stating your preferences for care in a living will. As part of a person’s right to make their own decisions about their healthcare, every adult may accept or refuse any treatment that is recommended by a doctor or nurse. Copies of advance directives can be kept in your medical records. If you need additional information about how to make a living will or name a healthcare surrogate, please visit our patient rights and responsibilities page, or call Case Management at 859-323-5501, Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
ATMs: There are several ATMs located throughout the medical campus. The ATM in Pavilion H is located to the left of the registration desk on the right-hand side of the hall. The ATM in Pavilion A is located on the first floor past the information desk on the right-hand side. The ATM in the Emergency Department is located in the pediatric waiting area. Others are located on the first floor of the College of Dentistry building behind Pavilion H, or on the first and third floors of the Kentucky Clinic, across Rose Street from the hospital.
Chapels: Two chapels are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The Pavilion H chapel is located on the first floor of the hospital in Room H-122. The Myra Leigh Tobin Chapel is located on the ground floor of Pavilion A in the first hallway past the registration desk. Visitors of all faiths are welcome to visit for worship services, prayer and quiet reflection. Every Sunday morning, services are offered in the Myra Leigh Tobin Chapel in Pavilion A at 10 a.m. and the Pavilion H chapel at 11 a.m. A Catholic mass is offered on Saturdays and Sundays at the Newman Center on Rose Lane, located about a mile from the hospital on the University of Kentucky campus. CHAPLAIN Chaplains are available to talk with people of all faiths. They also can contact leaders of specific faith groups upon request. They offer comfort, support for difficult decision making, sacraments, spiritual literature (in English or Spanish), chapel meditations and services. Chaplains are available by having any member of your healthcare team, or any information desk, page them.
- For deaf individuals: Tell our staff if you need a sign language interpreter or other resources to help you communicate. Certified American Sign Language interpreters are available at no charge.
- For the vision impaired: Large-print reading materials are available in the Don and Cathy Jacobs Health Education Center, located on the first floor of Pavilion A, which is open from 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday. Please call 859-323-7808 if you have questions.
- Interpreter/translation services: UKHC provides qualified interpreters at no charge for those whose primary language is not English. Please identify your primary language and tell our staff if you need these services.
Confidentiality/privacy (HIPAA): The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) requires all hospitals to guarantee patient privacy, confidentiality and the security of protected patient information. If you have any questions or concerns about this act and your privacy, call our Corporate Compliance Office at 859-323-8002.
UK Chandler Hospital provides healthy, balanced meals as an important part of treatment and recovery. Patients who need special meals will receive specific menus. If you have specific dietary needs, ask to meet with a registered dietitian.
Dietitians work closely with your doctors and nurses to make sure your dietary needs are met during your stay. They can provide you and your family with information on special diets and discuss any nutritional concerns.
You or a member of your health care team can contact a dietitian by calling 859-323-6987. Dietitians are available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Breakfast tray service is offered between 7:30 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. Cut-off time is 9:30 a.m.
- A continental breakfast is served until 10:30 a.m.
- Lunch tray service is offered between 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. Cut-off time is 1:30 p.m.
- A box lunch is available until 3:30 p.m.
- Dinner tray service is offered from 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. Cut-off time is 7 p.m.
Other dining options on the hospital campus include:
- Chandler Dining: Our cafeteria is located on the first floor of Pavilion A near the patient elevators. The cafeteria is open 22 hours a day: closed 5-6 a.m. and 10-11 a.m. for meal changes. Cash and credit are accepted. Call 859-257-1168 for daily menus.
- Courtyard Café: Located in Pavilion A on the ground floor adjacent to the lobby atrium and the auditorium; offering coffee, beverages, pastries, soups, salads and sandwiches. Open Monday – Friday, 5 a.m. – 3 p.m. • Starbucks - Located on the first floor of the Kentucky Clinic. Open Monday – Friday, 6:30 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- Wildcat Café: Located on the third floor of the Kentucky Clinic near the pedestrian bridge from Pavilion H. Open Monday – Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Vending machines: Located on the first floor of Pavilion H around the corner from the cafeteria; 24-hour service with a microwave available.
Donations: UK HealthCare relies on the generosity of others to meet its commitment to providing the best possible healthcare services in a nourishing art-filled environment. Financial gifts are tax-deductible and may be donated for use in specific areas of greatest need, or designated for a specific area. If you would like to know more about how you can make a financial donation, call our Development Office, 859-257-1121 or toll-free 800-875-6272.
Fax and copy machines: For assistance with faxing and/or copying needs, stop by the Don and Cathy Jacobs Health Education Center, located on the first floor of Pavilion A. It is open Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Gift shops: are located on the first floor of Pavilion H near the lobby, the first floor of Pavilion A near the information desk and on the fourth floor of Pavilion HA (Kentucky Children's Hospital). Find hours of operation information on the gift shop page.
Guest accommodations: A variety of hotels and motels are within a short distance of the UK HealthCare campus. For information on these hotels/ motels, please see any information desk or the Customer Relations Office located in Pavilion H, near the main entrance, for a complete list, or see the map on the Food & Lodging page. Please contact the hotel of your choice directly for reservations and rate information.
Don and Cathy Jacobs Health Education Center: Located on the first floor of Pavilion A near the concourse bridge, the Health Education Center is open Monday − Friday, 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. This resource is open to patients and their loved ones and offers books, videos, brochures and computers with Internet access as a way to add to the information provided by your doctor or nurse. Visitors to the center may also check email and copy or fax documents. Please call 859-323-7808 if you have any questions about available resources or services. More information
Internet: Free wireless Internet access is available throughout the medical campus to patients and visitors who have their own laptop with them. Free Wi-Fi is also available at the Starbucks in the Kentucky Clinic. If you do not have a laptop and need to search the Internet or access email, you may use the computers in the Health Education Center.
Interpreters: See Communication Needs.
Lost & found: Should you lose an item of value during your visit to UK Chandler Hospital, visit the Pavilion A Registration desk, located in the front lobby of Pavilion A, or call 859-323-5062. We strongly suggest you leave items of value at home with a trusted person.
UK HealthCare Patient Portal: For information on accessing your medical records and connecting with us online via our patient portal, see the Patient Portal page.
Parking: The hospital parking garage is located at 110 Transcript Ave., directly across S. Limestone from UK Chandler Hospital. The garage entrance is on Transcript Avenue. There is a fee for parking; rates are posted at the garage entrance.
- Extended-stay (seven-day) parking passes are available for purchase in the parking office on Level A (ground floor) of the hospital parking garage. Once you have purchased two consecutive seven-day passes, there will be no charge for the remainder of your visit. Contact the parking office at 859-323-8085.
- If you need directions to or from the hospital, see the Hospitals & Clinics page, stop by an information desk for assistance or ask one of the service ambassadors in the garage.
Patient & family services (case management): Social workers in our Case Management office consult with your healthcare team on your behalf to ensure your needs are met. They assist with discharge planning when you leave the hospital, as well as transportation, lodging and information about advance directives. They also can give you and your family advice and guidance in stressful or crisis situations. Social workers are available Monday − Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. or by calling 859-323-5501.
Pharmacy services: UK HealthCare Pharmacies are here to meet the medication needs of patients in UK HealthCare’s hospitals and those visiting our outpatient clinics. We work with physicians and clinics, often consulting at the bedside, to ensure that our patients get the best possible medications for their conditions.
- Retail pharmacies: Find hours and locations on the pharmacies locations page. UK HealthCare retail pharmacies offer a convenient way to fill a prescription or pick up an over-the-counter item. Each UK Pharmacy location offers:
- Prescription medications.
- Sundry convenience items.
- Over-the-counter items such as cough/ cold and allergy relief, smoking cessation products, and pain relief medications. Our pharmacies are open-access, which means we accept prescriptions from any physician, not just those at UK. Most insurance plans accepted.
- The UK Specialty Pharmacy (serving patients who take high-cost or complicated medications) is not accessible to the general public, but you may contact them at 844-730-5913 (toll free) or 859-218-5413, at ukspecialtypharmacy.org, or at email@example.com. Hours: Monday – Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. Closed on weekends and holidays Also offering 24-hour pharmacist support for any after-hours clinical questions.
- For hospital inpatients who are being discharged, a Meds-to-Beds service is available.
Public transportation: Information about Lexington’s bus service, LexTran, is available from any information desk. Taxi service is available by calling 859-231-8294.
Research: UK HealthCare is involved in various clinical research trials. If you would like to participate in a research trial, ask your doctor about studies underway that may benefit you. Doctors and nurses involved in the trial can explain the details of the study and help you decide if participation is right for you. Visit ukhealthcare.uky.edu/about/clinicalresearch to learn more.
Social worker: See Patient & Family Services.
Telephones: Use of cell phones is allowed in the hospital; however, we ask that you respect the people around you. Public telephones are located on the first floor of Pavilion H to the left of the registration desk and on all floors (except the seventh). There is also a public telephone in the Pavilion H fourth-floor waiting room. Courtesy phones are located at the information desks throughout the enterprise.
Tobacco use: Smoking and all other forms of tobacco use including electronic cigarettes are prohibited anywhere on UK HealthCare grounds inside and out, including parking garages and personal vehicles. Information on options for patients and visitors who use tobacco is available at any of the information desks located throughout the enterprise. If you want help quitting tobacco, please ask your nurse or physician. Nicotine gum and patches are available at very low cost to visitors at campus gifts shops and pharmacies. Contact our Tobacco Treatment Specialist at 859-323-4222 for assistance. Go to uky.edu/Tobaccofree for a map of UK’s boundaries and to learn more about nicotine replacement products. Join us in making our campus a healthy place to get well, visit and work.
Visiting hours: Visiting hours are 8 a.m. – 9 p.m. for most patient care rooms. Intensive care units (ICUs) offer flexible visiting hours but are closed to visitors 7 – 8:30 a.m and p.m. due to shift changes. Go to the Visitors page for more visitor information or talk to your nurse.
Volunteers provide invaluable assistance to patients and visitors. Volunteers offer reading materials and deliver flowers, items purchased from the gift shop and mail sent to patients. UK HealthCare is always looking for people who would like to become volunteers. If you are interested in making a difference in the lives of our patients and staff, call 859-323-6023. Volunteer Services also provides gently used clothing to those in need while in our care. See Page 2 of this guide for details. The Volunteer Services office is open Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., or can be reached by calling 859-323-6023.
Wheelchairs: Wheelchairs are available at the information desks on the ground floor in Pavilion A and in the Pavilion H lobby area. We must hold a driver’s license or identification card while the wheelchair is checked out. The card will be returned to you when the chair is checked back in.
Wi-Fi/wireless Internet access: See Internet.