In the UK Markey Cancer Center, the Hematology and Blood & Marrow Transplantation Program provides patients care customized to fit their needs.
Our team approach
The Hematology and Blood & Marrow Transplant team treats all cancers related to the blood and lymphatic system, as well as other blood-related diseases, including myelodysplastic syndrome and other conditions that stem from a bone marrow failure. Our team works together providing each member’s individual expertise to offer patients personalized treatment plans suited for their needs.
Myelodyplastic syndrome (MDS) can occur on its own or secondary to other conditions. The treatment is individualized depending on its severity. In early stage MDS, only supportive treatment is given. In later stages, demethylating agents or even a stem cell or bone marrow transplant may be necessary.
For more information on the treatment of myelodysplastic syndrome, please visit our chemotherapy webpage.
Clinical trials help keep our cancer care on the leading edge by allowing researchers to apply cancer knowledge as it develops to give you the best chance of survival.
At Markey, our specialists place a high value on all areas of myelodysplastic syndrome treatment, from patient care designed for the unique patient to developing treatments of the future.
Download the Markey Cancer Center Clinical Trials app.
Request an appointment online or call 859-257-4488 or 866-340-4488 (toll free).
- For your first visit, you will be directed to our clinic on the first floor of the Ben F. Roach Building. Directions to the Ben F. Roach Building.
- You can register at the front desk, where a receptionist will help guide you through your appointment.
- Free parking is available to patients in the Whitney-Hendrickson parking lot.
- Please remember to bring your patient packet with the completed forms. These items will help your doctor learn more about your case and determine the best plan for your care.
- Review the patient handbook to learn about your stay and everything Markey offers for patients and families.
- UK HealthCare accepts many forms of insurance.
UK Markey Cancer Center 11th Floor - Darley Blood and Marrow Transplantation Unit
UK Albert B. Chandler Hospital - Pavilion A1000 S. Limestone
Tower 200, 11th Floor
Lexington, KY 40536
Hematology and Blood & Marrow Transplant Clinic
UK Markey Cancer CenterBen F. Roach Cancer Care Facility800 Rose St.
First Floor, Room CC140
Lexington, KY 40536Fax 859-323-4607Monday - Friday: 8:00 am-5:00 pm
After hours, call 859-323-5321.