We offer the latest advances in treatments for throat cancer patients at the UK Markey Cancer Center.
It’s important to us to find a treatment plan that fits your needs and your goals. We’ll care for you as a whole person, paying special attention to all of your needs.
The throat cancer care team at Markey collaborates with regular meetings to discuss each patient’s care. We will develop a treatment plan that increases your chances for a cure while also minimizing side effects wherever possible.
Our highly experienced team includes:
- Head and neck surgeons who specialize in removing throat cancers, as well as reconstruction after tumor removal.
- Medical oncologists who give drug treatments like chemotherapy.
- Radiation oncologists who give precision radiation treatment.
- Speech therapists who help with swallowing and speech issues.
- Dietitians who ensure you’re getting the proper nutrition before, during and after treatment.
Markey has provided state-of-the-art cancer care for more than 20 years, and we are proud to be the only cancer center in Kentucky designated by the National Cancer Institute. For the past five years, Markey Cancer Center has been nationally recognized as a top 50 cancer center by U.S. News and World Report.
State-of-the-art treatment for throat cancer
Robotic surgery gives us the ability to remove more cancers in hard-to-reach areas of the throat, using smaller instruments and fewer incisions than traditional surgery. Our surgeons use 3D imaging to guide them as they operate.
We also offer radiation treatments that deliver precise treatments while minimizing the impact to other parts of the head.
Types of throat cancer
Your throat, or pharynx, is the hollow tube that runs from behind your nose and ends in your neck. Throat cancers we treat include:
- Nasopharyngeal cancer: The nasopharynx is the upper part of the throat, located directly behind the nose.
- Oropharyngeal cancer: The oropharynx is the middle part of the throat that includes the tonsils.
- Hypopharyngeal cancer: The hypopharynx is the bottom part of the throat.
- Voice box, or laryngeal, cancer: The voice box is located In the neck just above the trachea, or windpipe.
Throat cancer symptoms
Symptoms of throat cancer include:
- Sore throat that won’t go away
- Difficulty swallowing
- Ear pain, especially pain that worsens when swallowing
- Lump in the neck
- Persistent hoarseness or voice changes
Make an appointment
Request an appointment online or call 859-257-4488 or 866-340-4488 (toll free).
Learn more about the Head & Neck cancer team with the provider profiles below.
- Rony K. Aouad, MD
- Thomas J. Gal, MD, MPH, FACS
- Alexandra E. Kejner, MD, FACS
- Joseph Valentino, MD, FACS
- Melvyn S. Yeoh, MD, DMD, FACS
- For your first visit, you will be directed to the Ben F. Roach Cancer Care Facility (Pavilion CC) of the Markey Cancer Center. Get directions to the Ben F. Roach Cancer Care Facility.
- You can register at the front desk, where a receptionist will help guide you through your appointment.
- Free parking is available in the Whitney-Hendrickson parking lot.
- Please remember to bring your patient packet with the completed forms. These items will help your doctor learn more about your case and determine the best plan for your care.
- Review the patient handbook to learn about your stay and everything Markey offers for patients and families.
- UK HealthCare accepts many forms of insurance.