The Kentucky Neuroscience Institute integrates the expertise of UK neurology and neurosurgery physicians and researchers. KNI is a regional referral center dedicated to providing comprehensive care to our patients.
KNI offers patients the benefits of Gamma Knife® therapy. It is one of the most precise, powerful and proven treatments for brain and spinal cord tumors. Gamma Knife therapy does not involve surgery. Instead, it focuses precise beams of radiation directly on a tumor.
Additionally, we are the region's only Level IV Epilepsy Center. Our Epilepsy Monitoring Unit is a dedicated six-bed unit with the latest diagnostic monitoring equipment to accurately diagnose the causes of epileptic seizures, allowing physicians to create a more accurate treatment plan.
The Kentucky Neuroscience Institute also offers the latest advancements in minimally invasive surgery, such as kyphoplasty and other spine procedures, which allows patients to recover much faster.
Stroke patients at the Kentucky Neuroscience Institute have access not only to the region's top doctors, but also to the most advanced medical technology. The stroke center at UK Chandler Hospital was the first in the region to be designated as a Comprehensive Stroke Center.
Additionally, UK is first in the U.S. to conduct trial of new Parkinson’s disease treatment. A clinical trial being conducted at UK is investigating a new treatment strategy for Parkinson’s disease that, if successful, could drastically change future treatment of the disease and possibly halt or reverse brain degeneration. UK is the first in the U.S. to conduct the clinical trial.
You may request an appointment online; however, patients are referred through their primary care provider or neurologist.
Kentucky Neuroscience Institute offers a wide range of clinical and support services, and we have been recognized numerous times for our top-quality medical care including the following:
- U.S. News & World Report Ranking
- Comprehensive Stroke Center
- American Heart Association Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award & Target Stroke Honor Roll Elite Plus
- Level 4 Epilepsy Center
- UK ALS Clinic- Certified Treatment Center of Excellence
Learn more about each of these awards and accreditations.
- When the Cause of Stroke is Mystery, Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO) Could be the Answer
- Neurogastronomy Symposium Registration Now Open
- Symposium Showcases Clinical and Translational Research in the Neurosciences
- Treatments Available for Drug-Resistant Epilepsy
- UK HealthCare is No. 1 in Kentucky in Latest U.S. News Best Hospitals Rankings
- ALS Patient Advocate Hopes Free Screening of Documentary Will Inspire Others
- Patient Turned Advocate Inspires Fundraiser for Parkinson's Research
- KNI Stroke Center Receives High Designation from American Heart Association
- 13-Year-Old Boy Enjoys Being “Normal Kid" Again After Epilepsy Surgery
- Goldstein Drafts Editorial on Carotid Artery Screening for JAMA Internal Medicine
UK's 670-acre campus is located just south of downtown Lexington. Major routes into town are marked with UK logo signs leading to campus. The main entrance to the campus is Administration Drive off South Limestone.
The Visitor Center is located in the Main Building on Administration Drive. If you are driving to campus, be certain to check our visitor parking information.
Campus is divided roughly into three parts. North campus contains primarily residence halls. Central campus is home to classrooms and offices, the W. T. Young Library, the Lucille Little Fine Arts Library, and the King Library. South campus contains additional residence halls, athletic and recreational facilities, UK Albert B. Chandler Hospital, and the College of Agriculture.
Known as the Horse Capital of The World, Lexington has a population of more than 400,000. It is the second-largest city in Kentucky, and no wonder the population is growing!
Lexington is a great place to live, work and raise a family. In 2006, Lexington was named one of Kiplinger's 50 Smart Places to Live. The list was based on factors such as cost of living and housing, quality health care, low crime rate, economic vitality and quality of life. We invite you to come see for yourself and stay a while.