Over the course of 2019, the clinicians and scientists at the Kentucky Neuroscience Institute have made great strides in the advancement of our tripartite mission of patient care, research and education. The initiatives outlined below are key indicators of how KNI has expanded and improved services over the past year.
- Established the University of Kentucky Neuroscience Research Priority Area, bringing together and supporting more than 280 researchers from across the university.
- Established a departmental-level committee on diversity and inclusion.
- Developed a transition of care inpatient service to optimize patient treatment and improve outcomes.
- Expanded the inpatient stroke service into two teams, allowing for the highest quality of care for more stroke patients at one time.
- Established a women’s neurological disorders clinic in conjunction with UK HealthCare’s obstetrics and gynecology specialists.
- Awarded our third successful Joint Commission certification as a Comprehensive Stroke Center, the highest level of accreditation a stroke center can receive.
- Successfully applied as a research site for the Epilepsy Study Consortium.
- Realigned the UK-Norton Stroke Care Network to support continued growth and service delivery across the state.
In the coming year, our clinicians and scientists at the Kentucky Neuroscience Institute look forward to completing another set of initiatives to advance neuroscience research and delivery of patient care for the people of Kentucky.
- Launch NeuroBank, the neuroscience biobank repository to support new research initiatives to treat and cure neurological disorders.
- Reorganize outpatient services to support disease-oriented teams in optimizing care delivery.
- Expand the KNI clinic to improve efficiency and access to subspecialty services.
- Expand the surgical epilepsy program to better offer advanced treatment. options to patients with epilepsy who do not have an adequate response to medications.
- Launch a pediatric and adolescent headache clinic.
- Move the child neurology outpatient clinic to UK HealthCare – Turfland, a more accessible, child-friendly space off campus.
- Develop a dedicated neurological sleep disorders program.