We know that the teenage years can be an exciting and difficult time in a child's life, with special health risks and problems.
That's why we developed the Adolescent Care Clinic, to give teens (between the ages of 10 and 21 years) the specialized, comprehensive care they need.
UK Adolescent Medicine was featured in UK HealthCare's fall 2015 OnCall magazine. The article highlights Dr. Omar's journey in building the UK Adolescent Medicine program and the impact his work has had on Kentucky's teens and their families.
Adolescent Medicine Clinic
UK Kentucky ClinicFourth Floor, Wing D740 S. Limestone
Lexington KY 40536Fax 859-323-3795Monday - Thursday: 8:00 am-9:00 pm
Friday: 8:00 am-4:30 pm
UK Pediatrics @ Maxwell
UK Good Samaritan Professional Arts CenterSecond Floor, Suite 200135 E. Maxwell St.
Lexington KY 40508
Harrison Memorial Hospital1210 KY Highway 36 E.
Cynthiana KY 41031
Rockcastle Regional Hospital and Respiratory Care Center - Medical Arts Building140 Newcomb Ave.
Mt. Vernon KY 40456Monday: 8:00 am-4:30 pm
Our team of physicians, nurses, social workers, nutritionists, and psychologists has expertise in a wide range of adolescent concerns. We treat every patient as a unique person with unique needs - emotional, physical and psychological.
A physician is on call in the evenings and weekends.
Counseling is available for the following:
- Nutrition counseling
- Weight management
- Fitness consultation
- Eating disorders
- Substance abuse
- Behavioral problems
- Learning disorders
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Gender Identity
Our gynecological care also counsels teens and encourages them to maintain a healthy lifestyle, avoiding risky behaviors and postponing sexual activity. Some of the services we provide include:
- Pregnancy tests
- Reproductive care
- Pap Smear
- Young Parents Program - special clinic designed to care for both the young mother and her child in the same appointment
- We also offer physical exams for camp, sports and employment
- Sexual abuse/rape evaluation and treatment
The teenage years can be fun and exciting, but teens searching for independence may experiment with alcohol, drugs and sex. These behaviors can have long-lasting and serious affects on your child's physical and emotional health including drug addiction, pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases (STDs like Chlamydia, AIDS and gonorrhea) or potentially fatal accidents.
It's important to talk honestly to teenagers about the risks. Our counselors are experts at communicating with teens and will work with you and your family to help with any special concerns you might have. We believe that the most important people in a teen's life are his family and we encourage parents to be actively involved in their child's life.
Adolescent medicine has partnered with UK Adolescent Behavioral Health to ensure every patient has the best care.
UK Adolescent Behavioral Health, located in Lexington, Ky, is a 10-bed inpatient program that offers a personal, structured environment for adolescents with mental illness or behavioral health problems. The unit’s team of psychiatrists, nurses and staff work together to identify the cause of the behavioral problems and provide treatment.
Staff from both units work closely together to make the transition to inpatient care as simple and easy as possible for both patients and their families.
- Understanding Addiction: How Addiction Hijacks the Brain
- Alcoholism and Addictive Behavior
- Addictive Behaviors: Beyond Drugs and Alcohol
- Effects of Illegal Drugs on the Heart
- Medicine Abuse Project (sort by stories)
- The Guide to Keeping Your Job Before, During and After Rehab
- Teen depression
- Drug prevention for teens
- Addiction prevention: 34 Essential Lesson Plans for Educators
- Eating Disorders Mirror offers wonderful resources on all aspects of eating disorders.
- American Association of Suicidology
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- Suicide Prevention Advocacy Network
- National Institute of Mental Health Suicide Research Consortium
- Society for the Prevention of Teen Suicide
- SA\VE (Suicide Awareness\Voices of Education) offers statistics, books, myths, symptoms, and much more.
- Stop Youth Suicide Campaign