Our Joint Pediatric Heart Care Program is part of a regional collaboration between Kentucky Children’s Hospital and Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center. The program offers expert arrhythmia treatment and management for children. We use advanced medicines, catheter-based procedures and implantable cardiac devices to provide the highest level of patient-centered care.
We also work closely with the UK Gill Heart & Vascular Institute’s Adult Heart Rhythm Program and Adult Congenital Heart Program. This partnership creates a seamless continuum of care from childhood to adulthood for all our patients.
Heart rhythm irregularities in children can be different from those in adults. They need the skill of specially trained doctors and nurses. Our program provides expert care for all types of heart rhythm issues in children and young adults. This includes:
- Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT): This is the most common type of abnormal fast heart rhythm in children. SVT covers many conditions with similar symptoms. SVT is not usually dangerous, but it can affect the heart’s ability to pump normally if left untreated.
- Inherited arrhythmia disorders: These include cardiac channelopathies, including long QT syndrome, Brugada syndrome and catecholaminergic polymorphic ventricular tachycardia (CPVT).
- Inherited conditions: We treat families whose close relatives have had sudden cardiac arrest or death.
- Conditions that affect the heart’s normal conduction system and require cardiac rhythm devices: This includes pacemakers and implantable cardioverter defibrillators.
Our team is experienced in providing the most advanced pediatric arrhythmia treatment options in the region, including:
- Low- to zero-dose biplane fluoroscopy for catheter ablations.
- Three-dimensional electro-anatomical mapping.
- Radiofrequency and cryoablation.
- Implantable loop recorder insertion.
- Transvenous and surgically implanted pacemaker and defibrillator implantation (ICD).
- Biventricular pacing/cardiac resynchronization therapy.
- Subcutaneous ICD implantation.
- Intracardiac echocardiography.
- Outpatient services, including ambulatory rhythm monitors for patients.
Providers across disciplines work together to deliver the most complete care to our patients. We offer:
- Evaluation for risk of highly concerning arrhythmias and genetic arrhythmia syndromes (such as long QT syndrome, Brugada syndrome, arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy and catecholaminergic polymorphic ventricular tachycardia).
- Genetic testing and counseling for young patients and families with possible inherited arrhythmia syndromes.
- Management of arrhythmia disorders and other rhythm problems for patients with palliated congenital heart disease. Our team includes interventionalists, congenital heart surgeons, cardiac intensivists, pediatric cardiologists and adult congenital heart disease specialists.
Collaboration is key. That’s why we partner with specialists at the Gill Heart & Vascular Institute to offer mechanical and laser lead extraction for pediatric and congenital heart disease patients who need lead revision/extraction. We also team up with the Adult Congenital Heart Program in arrhythmia evaluation and management in adults with congenital heart disease.