Kentucky Children's Hospital includes:
- 66 Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) beds
- 20 Level IV beds (for the most advanced newborn care)
- 38 Level III beds (for severely ill newborn care)
- Eight Level II beds (for intermediate newborn care)
- 43 Acute Care (non-ICU) beds
- 12-bed Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)
- 12-bed Progressive Care Unit (PCU)
- Eight 23-hour observation beds and 3 infusion beds
- 26-bed normal newborn nursery
- Three children's playrooms, a computer room and a library containing books and movies
- Three consult rooms (one in PICU, one in NICU and one in Acute Care)
- Four sleep rooms for parents of children in the ICU
- A Ronald McDonald family room, open 24 hours a day for families of children in intensive care
Pediatric outpatient care is provided at Kentucky Clinic, Kentucky Clinic South, Pediatrics at Maxwell, Polk-Dalton Clinic and the Family Care Center. In addition, many pediatric patients are treated at the Makenna David Pediatric Emergency Center.
KCH serves as the subspecialty regional referral and pediatric care center for Central and Eastern Kentucky. There are more than 70 pediatric specialists and more than 300 pediatric nurses working in 24 areas, as well as physical, occupational, speech and respiratory therapists, dietitians, licensed clinical social workers, genetic counselor, child life specialists and pharmacists, all of whom are dedicated to caring for children.
Inpatient admissions each year number about 4,963 with about 3,539 non-ICU floor admissions, 685 PICU admissions, 739 NICU admissions and 1,408 admissions to the newborn nursery. There are approximately 83,118 outpatient and clinic visits each year throughout the Department of Pediatrics (including Kentucky Clinic, Pediatrics @ Maxwell, UK Family Care Center, Community Cardiology at Baptist Health Medical Building C and the Polk-Dalton Clinic) and approximately 15,000 diagnostic tests and therapies. Patients are admitted by pediatrics, pediatric surgery, other surgical subspecialties, neurology and pediatric dentistry.