Our team of specialists includes:
- Fetal imaging specialists
- Pediatric cardiologists
- Pediatric cardiothoracic surgeons
- Pediatric electrophysiologists
- Pediatric interventional cardiologists
Other members of the team include physician assistants, advanced practice registered nurses, social workers and a registered dietitian. Our specialists meet routinely in conferences to determine the best form of treatment for each patient and review surgical results. Some of these conferences occur in conjunction with specialists at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center.
Some children with a congenital heart defect do not have symptoms. Others may experience rapid breathing, tiredness, a fast heartbeat or blue-tinged skin. The Congenital Heart Clinic treats the full range of congenital heart defects from fetal life through young adulthood, including:
- Aortic stenosis
- Atrial septal defect
- Bicuspid aortic valve
- Coarctation of the aorta
- Ebstein anomaly
- Patient ductus arteriosus
- Patent foramen ovale
- Pulmonary atresia
- Tetralogy of Fallot
- Transposition of the great arteries
- Tricuspid atresia
- Truncus arteriosus
- Ventricular septal defect
The Congenital Heart Clinic provides a wide range of services to diagnosis and treat congenital heart defects and help patients thrive, including:
- A variety of diagnostic tests. These include transthoracic echocardiography (ECG), fetal ECG, heart rhythm monitoring (Holter and event monitors), and metabolic and ECG stress testing.
- Education and support. Nurses work with families to educate them about specific congenital heart defects. That includes preparing patients to transition to adult congenital heart disease care in early adolescence. A registered dietitian meets with all patients who are scheduled for surgery to help optimize their nutrition. Social workers connect families with helpful resources and ensure they have what they need to access care, such as lodging and transportation.
- Care coordination. Our team coordinates with other specialists and clinics on a case-by-case basis, including genetics, nephrology, pulmonology, rheumatology, and the BMI and Hyperlipidemia clinics. We also partner with an adult congenital heart disease specialist at the Gill Heart & Vascular Institute to ensure patients have a seamless transition to adult care at the appropriate time.
Our collaboration with Cincinnati Children’s Medical Center gives our patients access to a wider range of advanced services and allows our specialists to consult colleagues at one of the country’s top children’s hospitals. Our high-quality care has earned us numerous awards for patient satisfaction and a ranking from U.S. News & World Report as one of the country’s Best Children’s Hospitals for Cardiology & Heart Surgery. Our main clinic location is at UK Albert B. Chandler Hospital, which is the No. 1 hospital in Kentucky and the Bluegrass Region, according to U.S. News & World Report.