Shoulders [Healthwise image link aa55625] are made of three bones each and rely on tendons, muscles and ligaments to remain stable. When something goes wrong with any part of your shoulder, you may experience pain, discomfort and restricted motion.
If shoulder pain keeps you from doing the things you love, don’t hesitate to seek medical attention from an orthopaedic specialist. At UK Orthopaedic Surgery & Sports Medicine, our shoulder specialists provide proven surgical and nonsurgical treatments that can help you get relief from pain and improve your range of motion.
Our team is committed to providing evidence-based care for all shoulder conditions, whether common or rare, routine or complex. It doesn’t matter if your problem is age-related, work-related, sports-related or injury-related — we are dedicated to decreasing your pain, improving your quality of life and helping you return to your favorite activities.
Some of the conditions we treat include:
- Acromioclavicular and sternoclavicular joint injuries
- Frozen shoulder
- Rotator cuff issues
- Unstable shoulders
Treatment options we offer include:
- Arthroscopy — During this minimally invasive procedure, the surgeon inserts a flexible, pencil-thick tube with a camera into the shoulder. The camera allows the surgeon to look inside the joint to evaluate the damage, which often can be treated at the same time using small tools.
- Shoulder replacement — If shoulder arthritis is advanced, the orthopaedic surgeon may recommend removing the shoulder joint and replacing it with an implanted artificial joint.
- Shoulder resurfacing — Rather than replacing the entire joint, doctors replace either the damaged ball or the socket and leave other anatomy in place.
- Reverse shoulder arthroplasty — During this procedure, the normal ball and socket parts of the shoulder are reversed, which allows patients to rely on different muscles for movement. This is particularly useful for patients with severe rotator cuff injuries.
UK Orthopaedic Surgery & Sports Medicine’s expert orthopaedic team provides the most advanced and comprehensive care for routine and complex shoulder issues. We offer state-of-the-art surgical options and consult with therapists, medical staff and other specialists to provide the very best in nonoperative and operative evaluation and treatment.
UK Orthopaedic Surgery & Sports Medicine has proven experience in providing quality care and successful outcomes for our patients.