The shoulder is made up of three bones: the scapula (shoulder blade), the humerus (upper arm bone), and the clavicle (collarbone). Muscles, tendons, and ligaments hold it together. The outer end of the collarbone is connected to the end (acromion) of the shoulder blade. The bursa is a fluid-filled sac that cushions and lubricates the shoulder area. The rotator cuff is the group of tendons and their related muscles that help keep the upper arm bone seated in the socket of the shoulder blade.
Shoulder conditions & treatments
Our team is committed to providing evidence-based care for all shoulder conditions, whether common or rare, routine or complex. It doesn’t matter if your problem is age-related, work-related, sports-related or injury-related — we are dedicated to decreasing your pain, improving your quality of life and helping you return to your favorite activities.
Some of the conditions we treat include:
- Acromioclavicular and sternoclavicular joint injuries
- Frozen shoulder
- Rotator cuff issues
- Shoulder instability
Treatment options we offer include:
- Arthroscopy — During this minimally invasive procedure, the surgeon inserts a flexible, pencil-thick tube with a camera into the shoulder. The camera allows the surgeon to look inside the joint to evaluate the damage, which often can be treated at the same time using small tools.
- Shoulder replacement — If shoulder arthritis is advanced, the orthopaedic surgeon may recommend removing the shoulder joint and replacing it with an implanted artificial joint.
- Shoulder resurfacing — Rather than replacing the entire joint, doctors replace either the damaged ball or the socket and leave other anatomy in place.
- Reverse shoulder arthroplasty — During this procedure, the normal ball and socket parts of the shoulder are reversed, which allows patients to rely on different muscles for movement. This is particularly useful for patients with severe rotator cuff injuries.
Why choose UK Orthopaedic Surgery & Sports Medicine?
UK Orthopaedic Surgery & Sports Medicine’s expert orthopaedic team provides the most advanced and comprehensive care for routine and complex shoulder issues. We offer state-of-the-art surgical options and consult with therapists, medical staff and other specialists to provide the very best in nonoperative and operative evaluation and treatment.
UK Orthopaedic Surgery & Sports Medicine has proven experience in providing quality care and successful outcomes for our patients.