Robotic Joint Replacement
Robotic joint replacement surgery has transformed the way we perform knee and hip replacements. At UK HealthCare Orthopaedic Surgery & Sports Medicine, we have more experience with robotic-assisted joint replacement surgery than anyone in the region. This innovative technology allows our providers to perform a more personalized surgery with greater precision than ever before.
Why Choose Robotic Surgery?
The benefits of choosing robotic joint replacement surgery at UK HealthCare include:
- Accuracy: Research shows that robotic surgery is more accurate than traditional surgery for knee and hip replacement.
- Better joint alignment: Robotic joint replacement also offers better soft tissue balance. An accurate soft tissue balance is what allows your joint to bend and flex easily, and it makes the implant more durable.
- Training and expertise: Our surgeons have the specialized training necessary to perform robotic surgery and a level of expertise you won’t find anywhere else in the Lexington area.
How Robotic Surgery Works?
A robot doesn’t perform your surgery. Instead, your surgeon uses the robot to plan and execute the procedure. Your surgeon is in control throughout the procedure, but the robot allows for more accuracy than traditional surgical techniques.
- Planning: We do not require a CT scan before surgery and can develop a computerized 3D picture of your knee or hip while you’re in the operating room. This computerized model helps us evaluate your joint and the surrounding bone and tissue. The robot uses this model to create your unique surgery plan. The plan pinpoints the exact size and placement of your knee or hip implant.
- Surgery: The computerized robot helps your surgeon precisely remove the damaged bone and cartilage and avoid removing healthy portions of your joint. The robot provides real-time information in the operating room. This helps your surgeon make adjustments and improve the placement and fit of your new joint.
- Recovery: You’ll typically go home the same day or the day after your surgery. Physical therapy will be an important part of your recovery process and help improve the function of your new knee or hip.
Who is a Candidate for Robotic Knee or Hip Replacement?
Anyone who needs a knee or hip replacement is a candidate for robotic surgery. You and your surgeon will decide which type of surgery works best for you.
We perform robotic surgery for the following procedures: