Knee Post-Operative Exercises
All exercises should be repeated 30 times. Two sessions per day are recommended. It may be helpful to apply ice for 15 minutes after the exercises.
Download post-operative knee exercises (PDF, 59 KB)
Check with your doctor to make sure these instructions apply to your case.
- Avoid pain.
- Relax leg.
- Gently bend and straighten ankle.
- Move through full range of motion.
- With towel around heel, gently pull knee upwards with towel until stretch is felt.
- Straight Leg Raise Phase 1: Tighten muscle on front of thigh then lift leg 8-10 inches from floor keeping knee locked. Hold 10 seconds.
- Tighten muscles on top of thigh by pushing knees down into floor or table.
- Gently tense muscle on top of thigh. Hold 10 seconds.