The Makenna David Pediatric Emergency Center is one of the only dedicated children’s emergency centers in the state and the only one serving Central and Eastern Kentucky.
"Dedicated" means we have a separate waiting and treatment space with a separate staff geared exclusively for pediatric emergency care.
Makenna David Pediatric Emergency Center
UK Albert B. Chandler Hospital Emergency Department1000 S. Limestone
Lexington KY 40536
Children are not small adults. They need specialists and equipment designed to care for their unique needs. All of the emergency medicine physicians working in the pediatric emergency center are board certified in emergency medicine. The staff is emergency medicine trained with specialty experience in pediatrics. That makes our team especially well prepared to care for children.
The Makenna David Pediatric Emergency Center has been verified as a Pediatric Level I Trauma Center by the American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma.
The new, larger center will be a place where kids and parents feel welcome and safe. Creative art and interactive features will capture a child’s imagination and help ease anxiety. There’s also a separate waiting area for those who prefer quiet space.
Short-term parking is available near the separate pediatric entrance off South Limestone. Critically ill or injured patients may arrive via ambulance or helicopter.
- The area features comfortable seating and televisions.
- Our goal is to get patients into an exam room and ensure they are seen as quickly as possible.
- 12 child-friendly exam rooms
- Private consultation rooms
The new Emergency Department will have access to advanced imaging and diagnostic technology:
- Digital radiographic (X-ray) and computerized tomography (CT) capabilities are available 24 hours a day.
- Ultrasound services will be performed at bedside or in the ED ultrasound room at varying times.
- Interventional radiology, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and nuclear medicine patients will receive radiology services in the following facilities as appropriate:
- the current Chandler Hospital building (Pavilion H)
- the Critical Care Tower (Pavilion HA)
- the Gill Building (Pavilion G)
The Makenna Foundation helped identify the need for and then provided funding to help establish both the current and the new, larger children's emergency center.