Diabetes Self-Management Education
Navigating all you need to know after a diabetes diagnosis is challenging. The self-management education team at the UK Barnstable Brown Diabetes Center is here to support you on your journey.
First on your list is learning to manage your blood glucose levels, but it can be difficult to know where to start. That’s why you need a team on your side. One key member is your primary care provider or endocrinologist, who will set your blood glucose and A1C goals and help you create a plan to manage diabetes.
Our experts can help you follow your plan by teaching you skills to manage diabetes. Our diabetes self-management education program can help you take charge of this disease to improve your quality of life and focus on the things most important to you.
What will you learn as part of diabetes self-management education?
Diabetes is sometimes called diabetes mellitus. Whether you have type 1, type 2 or gestational diabetes (or are the parent/caregiver of a child with type 1 or type 2 diabetes) you can take steps to maintain your health and manage the disease.
The Association of Diabetes Care & Education Specialists has identified seven behaviors that are key to diabetes management. We base our diabetes self-management education services on these behaviors, which are:
1. Being active. Regular physical activity helps you manage your blood glucose levels and stress and reduce your risk for chronic complications. We’ll recommend ways for you to work more physical activity into your life.
2. Healthy coping. Living with diabetes can be stressful, and it can be tempting to turn to unhealthy behaviors to deal with stress. You’ll learn how to cope with stress constructively by getting active and turning to others for support.
3. Healthy eating. Eating well is an essential part of diabetes self-management. Our experts will teach you how to set and achieve practical healthy eating goals, adjust portion sizes, and read food labels.
4. Monitoring. You’ll learn how to monitor your blood glucose and other important health indicators, such as blood pressure, weight and activity levels.
5. Problem solving. Learning how to solve problems will enable you to handle challenges related to diabetes.
6. Reducing risks. Without proper management, diabetes can lead to a variety of complications, including nerve damage, kidney damage and reduced vision. We’ll help you understand the potential risks of diabetes and what you can do to avoid them.
7. Taking medication. Medicine can keep your blood glucose levels within your target range and reduce your risk for diabetes complications. We’ll share with you what you need to know about your medication and how to take it. Juggling these prescriptions can be challenging, but we’ll teach you how to stay organized.
At the Barnstable Brown Diabetes Center, our diabetes education program includes a variety of services to help people with diabetes thrive through self-management. Our experts offer a variety of services to meet your needs, including:
- Assessment and training for using insulin pumps
- Education about managing diabetes during pregnancy and other special situations
- Group education classes following a diabetes diagnosis or to refresh knowledge for people living with diabetes
- One-on-one education sessions with diabetes experts
- Personalized diabetes medical nutrition therapy
- Training on how to use injectable or inhaled diabetes medications
- Training on how to use blood glucose monitoring equipment, including continuous glucose monitors or meters
Whether you recently received a diabetes diagnosis or have been living with this condition for years, you can benefit from diabetes self-management education. Ask your primary care or diabetes care provider for a referral to our program. We accept referrals from medical providers inside and outside of UK HealthCare. Many insurance carriers, including Medicare, cover diabetes education and prevention services.
Internal providers: Please access the patient referral orders in Epic.
External providers: Please use EpicCare Link or complete and submit the Diabetes Self-management Education form below.
The UK Barnstable Brown Diabetes Center offers a wealth of resources to help you navigate your health care needs.
- Barnstable Brown Diabetes Center Diabetes Education Services
- National Diabetes Prevention Program
- Communication needs
- Pharmacy Services
Connect with the Barnstable Brown Diabetes Center on our Facebook page for recipes, upcoming events and tips to help you navigate your diabetes diagnosis.
For more information, visit these trusted national sources for additional educational tools and resources: