The experts at the Barnstable Brown Diabetes Center Education Services provide a myriad of both individual and group education classes focused on the self-management of Type 1, Type 2 and gestational diabetes:
- Group classes upon diagnosis or diabetes knowledge update.
- One-on-one sessions customized to meet specific diabetes needs.
- Individualized diabetes medical nutrition therapy.
- Training on the use of devices to deliver diabetes medications that cannot be taken orally.
- Training on the use of blood glucose monitoring equipment.
- Insulin pump assessment and/or training to learn about and/or how to use the available options.
- Continuous glucose monitoring/training to assist with navigation of the device and its features.
- Education about diabetes in special situations, such as pregnancy, and its effects on blood glucose control and diabetes management.
If you are a potential patient interested in these services, ask your diabetes care provider for a referral. Many insurance companies, including Medicare, offer diabetes education and prevention services as a covered benefit. We accept referrals for our diabetes self-management education programs from internal and external healthcare providers:
- Internal providers: Please access the referral form in the AEHR (under follow-up/referral, search BBDC).
- External providers: Please complete and submit the Diabetes Self-Management Education form.