Managing your blood glucose levels is extremely important. Be sure to:
- Take all of your medicines, including insulin, diabetes medication and any other medicine, on time and as prescribed.
- Test your blood glucose as your doctor recommends to make sure it is in your target range. If you know immediately when your blood glucose is high, it will allow you to treat it early.
- If your blood glucose is high, treat it right away. If you missed a dose of insulin, take it, or take an extra dose as directed by your doctor. Drink plenty of water and check your blood sugar again after 30 minutes. If it’s still high, call your doctor.
- Keep your blood sugar steady by following your prescribed meal plan.
- Check your blood pressure regularly.
- Don’t smoke.
- Limit alcohol intake.
- Care for your feet: Wear well-fitting shoes and socks at all times, keep your toenails trimmed, wash your feet and use a mirror to check for cuts or sores. Have your doctor examine your feet on every visit.