Student Health

Clinic Hours

8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday - Friday (During Fall and Spring Semesters)

8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday (During Summer Sessions and breaks)

Appointments are required and can be scheduled on MyChart or you may call the numbers below:

Primary and GYN care call: 859-323-2778 

Behavioral Health call: 859-323-5511

To speak with the Triage Nurse: call 859-323-INFO (4636)

For general information call: 859-323-5823

Here is a video on how to schedule an appointment via MyChart

Students have the following options for health care at University Health Service:

1. Health Fee 

2. Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)

3. Private/Commercial Insurance

Each of these options is explained in more detail below.

Health Fee

If you are a full-time UK student, you have access to unlimited, free office visits at the campus medical clinic, University Health Service (UHS), through the Health Fee.  

The Health Fee is one of the mandatory fees assessed to full-time undergraduate and graduate students during the fall and spring semesters. The health fee cannot be waived, even if a student has their own health insurance. The health fee is only added when a student is full-time and taking on-campus classes. Students who are part-time or taking online classes are eligible to purchase the Health Fee. This can be purchased through Student Billings or at UHS. 

Primary care appointments provide a vast range of services for the student population.

  • Preventative care visits can include routine physical exams, sports physicals, employment physicals, annual GYN exams, travel physicals, as well as chronic disease management for conditions such as diabetes, and high blood pressure.
  • Acute care is offered for unexpected illnesses and injuries. (For obvious serious injuries, such as compound fractures or head trauma, seek care at the local emergency department.)
  • Flu shots are offered each year unless there is a shortage of flu vaccines but, are not covered by the health fee.

The Health Fee covers unlimited office visits for:

  • Allergy injections (With orders from an allergy doctor)
  • Behavioral Health 
  • GYN/GU (gynecology/genitourinary care)
  • Triage Nurse- is available for consultation about illness, injuries, lab results, or other health concerns.
  • Primary care 
  • Observation room care
  • On-call physician for after-hours advice
  • Limited medications
  • Some STI lab testing
  • Routine, travel, sport, GYN, and employment physical exams.
  • Rapid strep in-office test
  • Orthopedic 
  • Dietician/Nutritionist 
  • Telehealth
  • TB Skin Test

Services NOT covered by the Health Fee are billed as self-pay or through private/commercial insurance.

These services include but are not limited to:

  • COVID testing
  • COVID vaccination
  • Dentistry
  • Diagnostic testing (such as MRI or CT Scans)
  • Durable Medical Equipment
  • Emergency room visits
  • Hospitalization
  • IGRA (offered at a discounted rate for students)
  • Immunizations 
  • Influenza testing
  • Influenza vaccine
  • Some in-clinic procedures 
  • Laboratory services 
  • Most prescriptions
  • Ophthalmology (vision screens and/or prescription lenses)
  • Referrals to specialty clinics (such as physical therapy or orthopedic surgery)
  • Surgery
  • X-rays
  • Appliances

UK Student Health Insurance Plan

Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) - The UK SHIP is a customized insurance plan that is available for students to purchase. SHIP is contracted with Academic Health Plans and Anthem BlueCross BlueShield. This health plan is intended for medical care beyond your Health Fee and includes coverage for services not included in the Health Fee. 

This includes: 

  • Immunizations
  • Most diagnostic procedures (laboratory tests, X-rays, MRIs)
  • Surgery
  • Hospitalization
  • Prescription medications
  • Flu/COVID testing
  • **Dental plan (**Dental is an optional plan that can be purchased separately. More information can be found on this link). 

Understanding UK SHIP

  1. This health plan is a Preferred Provider Organization (PPO).  The healthcare providers you choose will affect your out-of-pocket expenses. Remember: using UK providers will save you money.  See the policy online for details.
  2. Participating in this student health plan does not mean all of your health care is free. There are medical expenses you are responsible to pay, including an annual deductible, copay or coinsurance charges, and costs related to services limited or excluded by the plan.
  3. It is your responsibility to familiarize yourself with this plan. The best way to make sure this coverage (or any health plan) works for you is to be informed and proactive. If possible, check the covered benefits before you receive medical care.

Read the policy online or contact the SHIP coordinator Chavae Mock at 859-218-0461 or with your questions.

Students eligible for UK SHIP are divided into enrollment types:

1. Funded Graduate Students are eligible to enroll in UK SHIP.

Each fall and spring semester you must be:

  • Degree-seeking
  •  Enrolled in the Graduate School (professional programs do not qualify)
  • Fully-funded by the University with a full-time research, teaching, or graduate assistantship or qualifying fellowship.

Eligibility is determined by the UK SHIP Office.   Changes in your status may affect your eligibility.

2. International Students are required to have medical coverage and are automatically enrolled in the plan. The cost of the plan is charged to your tuition bill. To complete the enrollment process, simply pay your student bill.

3. Other UK students and dependents (spouse/children) of insured students are eligible to purchase UK SHIP. See eligibility guidelines and enroll at

Enrolling in the SHIP

To enroll go to or contact the SHIP coordinator Chavae Mock at (859) 218-0461 or email 

On the SHIP website you can:

  • Create an account
  • Explore the plan
  • Review the cost information
  • Enroll in/purchase the plan
  • Enroll in the dental plan

Remember, purchasing a health plan is never a guarantee you will avoid out-of-pocket costs for medical care. The best way to make this, or any coverage work for you is to be informed and proactive. Check the covered benefits before your procedure whenever possible. Know the specifics and communicate with your medical provider. 

For Help

Contact Academic HealthPlans (AHP) at 855-856-2385 or

If you have questions not addressed by the SHIP website or AHP’s customer service department, the UK SHIP Office is available to assist you. Call (859) 218-0461 or email with questions.

Private and Commercial Insurance 

UHS-UKHC is able to bill private and commercial insurance for services not covered by the Health Fee, or if you are a self-pay patient. Most insurance companies are in network with UHS-UKHC, however prior to your appointment we highly recommend you call the customer service number on the back of your card to make sure your private or commercial insurance is in network.

Other health services


What to Bring to Your Appointment

Please bring the following to every appointment, every time

  • Your student ID 
  • Your insurance cards 
  • Payment in the form of a credit/debit card or UHS/UKHC will bill your private/commercial insurance for services. (The Health Fee only covers your office visit. If you get a prescription or need an appliance such as crutches, UHS can bill your insurance or you will receive a bill.) Please be aware you will be expected to pay for anything not covered by your health insurance.
  • For billing questions please contact UKHC Financial Services at 1-800-967-2131
  • Outside records if you are following up here for something that was initially treated elsewhere

How to Cancel an Appointment

  • To cancel an appointment, call 859-323-2778 to give notice that you will not be able to make your appointment and reschedule if possible. You may also cancel through your MyChart account. 

Parental Notification

About Parental Notification

All visits to UHS are confidential per HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) guidelines. Your parents will not be notified when you visit UHS. This may change, however, if you have procedures that are not covered by the Health Fee and must be covered by your health insurance.

If you are a student under the age of 18, a guardian must sign the Consent for Treatment of a Minor form prior to your visit. 

If you choose to use your parents’ insurance for coverage, there is the possibility that your parents will see any services provided. You can speak to your UHS clinician, as well as your insurance company, for more information. 

Your parents do not have access to your medical records. UHS is required by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) to protect the confidentiality of your medical and billing information.

Your medical record contains your personal health history. This record is kept confidential and is not released to anyone without your written consent, except in compliance with state and federal laws (i.e., subpoena, court order, health department reporting requirements, etc.).

In order to ensure we are doing our best to protect your privacy, all medical and billing information will be sent directly to the address you provide

About Parents' Insurance Covering You

To learn how your parent’s plan can provide the medical care you may need beyond the services covered by your Health Fee, contact your insurance company's customer service department by calling the phone number on the back of your ID card.

Questions you should ask your insurance company: 

  • Is University Health Service/UKHC in-network?
  • Does your plan include coverage for non-emergent medical care in the Lexington area?
  • Which hospitals and urgent care centers are in-network in the Lexington area?
  • How much is your deductible in the Lexington area?
  • What co-pays or coinsurance payments are you responsible for in the Lexington area?
  • Which pharmacies are available to you in the Lexington area?
  • Does your plan have a referral requirement?
  • Does your plan require you to be seen only by a designated Primary Care Physician?

Additional eligibility information for UHS Services

If you are a new student you are not eligible to be seen at UHS until the semester begins unless, you are in a program that requires you to get an updated immunization record for school (College of Medicine, College of Dentistry, College of Public Health, etc.) 

Part-time students may elect to pre-pay the Health Fee to entitle them to receive the same covered benefits as full-time students or they may use the University Health Service on a self-pay basis and bill their health insurance. Part-time UK students may pay the fee at the Student Billing Office in the Funkhouser Building or they can sign up for the Health Fee at UHS.

Graduate students who are not registered in classes but are actively engaged in research leading to a degree are eligible to use the University Health Service and can pay the Health Fee. These students may be asked to obtain verification of their status from their department chairperson, dean, or academic advisor each semester.

Students who have graduated and have a record on file are eligible to be seen in that clinic at UHS on a self-pay basis or bill their health insurance for one semester following graduation. (e.g. - students who graduate in May are eligible to be seen during the following summer months; students who graduate in August may be seen during the following fall semester; students who graduate in December may be seen during the following spring semester.) During this period, former students should arrange to have their medical records transferred to their new physician.

Continuing students (students who are not currently enrolled but were enrolled the entire previous semester and intend to enroll the following semester) During the summer, anyone who was enrolled during the spring semester and is preregistered for the fall is eligible to purchase the summer Health Fee. Students are also eligible to be seen on a self-pay basis or bill their health insurance.

Spouses of all eligible students who are not students themselves may be seen at University Health Service for all services on a self-pay basis or bill their health insurance (except for behavioral health visits, which are only limited to students). They must present their spouse's student ID to receive treatment. Children and other family members are not eligible. For children, you may wish to make an appointment with UK General Pediatrics at 859-323-6211 or UK Family & Community Medicine at 859-323-6371.

F-1 students and J-Scholars (J1 and J2) who have purchased the student health insurance plan are eligible to be seen on a self-pay basis or bill their health insurance. Full-time ESL students will have the health fee for their 8 weeks session. Part-time ESL students have the option to purchase the Health Fee for services at the time of visit.

Post Doc Students 

BCTC Students

Full-time and part-time BCTC students are eligible to be seen at UHS with a valid BCTC I.D. and must be actively enrolled in classes. BCTC students that live on UK's campus will be assessed the Health Fee. 


  • Cooper/Winchester campus BCTC students that are enrolled in 6 hours of traditional in-classroom hours may purchase the Health Fee on the e-store website.
  • BCTC students without the health fee can be seen on a self-pay basis or with their health insurance. 
  • Students who attend online courses are ineligible to purchase the Health Fee and cannot be seen at UHS.
  • BCTC students must present a current BCTC I.D. every visit, every time. 
  • BCTCS high school students are not eligible to be seen at UHS. 

Summer Session

University Health Service is available for health care during the summer. Paying the Health Fee is voluntary for most students in the summer.

To use University Health Service, registered students have the option to: 

  • Pay the summer Health Fee
  • Self-pay basis
  • Bill their health insurance