The university requires that all students living on campus housing be vaccinated against meningococcal meningitis. It is important that students understand the specifics of this disease, the factors that place this particular age group at an increased risk and disease prevention techniques.
Meningococcal disease is an infectious disease caused by the bacterium Neisseria meningitides. It is easily spread by person to person contact wherever large groups of people gather together – such as college dormitories or residence halls. The bacteria are transmissible through respiratory and throat secretions during close or lengthy contact (such as coughing or kissing). Meningitis is a very serious illness caused by a meningococcal infection. It can be fatal. Permanent disabilities such as hearing loss and brain damage can also occur. Symptoms include sudden onset of fever, headache and stiff neck. Often, additional symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, increased sensitivity to light and confusion or altered mental status occur. Typically symptoms develop within 3-7 days after exposure. Early diagnosis and treatment are very important. Vaccination is the best prevention technique. In addition to vaccination, the following techniques can reduce the risk of infection: maintaining healthy eating and sleeping habits; washing your hands frequently; avoiding close contact with people who are sick; and understanding the signs and symptoms.
University Health Service requires that the following items are completed within 2 weeks of the start of the semester.
There are two separate items to complete:
- You must log in and enter the date(s) of meningitis immunization(s)
- You must upload actual immunization records to support the date(s) you just entered.
(Failure to complete BOTH items by the deadline will result in a HOLD placed on your account.)
- Log in at myuk.uky.edu using your LinkBlue ID.
- Click on the "Immunization" link on the tab bar at the top of the screen, then click on "Enter Dates."
- Once you see the names of the different meningitis vaccines, pick the one that matches your records, enter the date(s) and click "Submit."
- To UPLOAD your records, go back to the Home screen and click Upload. Follow the directions to upload your immunization documentation. A nurse will review your entries in the next 2-3 weeks and let you know if any further information is needed.