Mumps Information & Precautions to Prevent Spread of Disease

Mumps is a contagious disease caused by the mumps virus.  It typically starts with a few days of fever, headache, fatigue and loss of appetite, followed by swollen salivary glands.

Your safety and health, as always, is our top priority at the University of Kentucky. With that, it's critical that we all work together to ensure everyone's health and well‐being.  

Please do your part by seeking medical attention if you have symptoms and by taking precautions to prevent the spread of disease.

If you have swollen salivary glands, here are some important guidelines to follow:

  • Any students who have swollen parotid salivary glands should make an appointment with UHS or another primary care physician to be evaluated.  To make an appointment with UHS, call 859-323-2778.
  • If you visit your family physician or health department, be certain to inform them you attend a university that has had some mumps cases diagnoses since Spring Break.
  • UK faculty and staff who have symptoms of swollen salivary glands should see their local clinician, or if they cannot get an appointment with their regular clinician and have UK HMO, PPO, or EPO they can call for an appointment at UKHPUCC (UK Health Plans Urgent Care clinic) at 859‐323‐7425.
  • If you have any of the symptoms of mumps, avoid prolonged close contact with other people for five days after your salivary glands began to swell. You should not go to work or classes during this time period.
  • In addition to staying away from others, you can help prevent the virus from spreading by covering your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, washing hands frequently, and wearing a mask if you have to be around others.
  • Vaccination for mumps by administration of two doses of the measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccine is the most effective means of prevention; however, mild cases may still occur.

If you have not previously been vaccinated we recommend students get vaccinated at UHS, a local health department, or through your primary care physician.For more information about mumps, go here.