All students at the University of Kentucky are eligible to use University Health Service (UHS) for their health care.
Full-time undergraduate and graduate UK students pay a mandatory Health Fee that covers many services as part of their tuition. Call 859-218-3225 for questions about Health Fee status.
- Find out more about eligibility for services, including part-time UK students and BCTC students.
- Read about our billing policies.
- Clinic hours
- UHS contact information
- Here's how to deal with absence from class for health reasons.
- Need service? You need an appointment.
- Here's how to cancel an appointment.
- Know what to bring to your appointment.
- Primary care includes unlimited visits for the following: preventative care, such as physical exams, sports physicals, employment physicals and travel physicals; care for unexpected illnesses and injuries; and chronic disease management for such conditions as hypertension and diabetes.
- Gynecology/Genitourinary care (GYN/GU) appointments offer gynecological services to all students. Reproductive and sexual health concerns, preventive screenings and acute conditions are treated in the Gynecology/Genitourinary (GYN/GU) Clinic.
- Behavioral health: Care for a new or existing psychological condition; immediate psychiatric care; drug and alcohol abuse counseling; and ADHD testing are all available.
- The Phone Information Nurse is available during normal operating hours for questions or consultation.
- The Nursing Clinic in UHS provides allergy injections with orders from an allergy doctor, health science compliance needs, administering immunizations (the cost of the immunization is NOT covered) and TB testing. TB skin tests are free; TB blood tests are offered at a discount rate.
- The health education team provides nutrition counseling, health and wellness coaching, sexual health education and counseling, and tobacco cessation advice, and offers events, workshops, and presentations on campus.
- Dentistry: The Health Fee includes dental cleaning and basic care for undergraduate students. Learn more about available services here. Services outside of the pilot options are available on campus both in the Kentucky Clinic and the Dental Science Building. Most dental insurance plans are billable.
To make an appointment, use the Medicat Patient Portal. (Note that some appointment times and types are not available for online scheduling. Calling 859-323-2778 to schedule will give you additional appointment times).
Instructions on how to make appointments on Medicat:
- Primary care, Gynecology/Genitourinary care, allergies (or call 859-323-2778)
- Meningitis vaccination requirement
- Behavioral Health (or call 859-323-5511)
- Health Education (or call 859-323-2778)
Vaccinations or Compliance: 859-323-APPT (2778)
- To cancel an appointment, call 859-323-2778 to give notice that you will not be able to make your appointment and reschedule if possible.
- You may also cancel by logging on to the Patient portal via MyUK, My Info, Student Health, then scroll to the bottom to find the cancel appointment button.
- UHS has a KEEP or CANCEL policy. Any student who does not keep an appointment or does not cancel an appointment will have a $20 fee charged to their account. If not paid, a financial hold will be placed with UK Student Billing. Once the hold is placed, you must pay the fee to UHS before you can register for classes, obtain transcripts or graduate. You can avoid the $20 fee by showing up for your appointment or by canceling your appointment.
Please bring the following to your appointment:
- Your student ID (to every appointment, every time).
- Your insurance cards (to every appointment every time).
- Money or some form of a payment. (The Health Fee covers only your visit; therefore if you get a prescription or need an appliance, such as crutches, you will be expected to pay for that).
- Outside records if you are following up here for something that was initially treated elsewhere.
- Immunization records if you are coming in for a nursing appointment (you can email your immunization records as an attachment with the subject line “Immunization Records/(your major, or what you are studying at UK”).
With recent concerns surrounding COVID-19, we are updating clinic hours for the remainder of the semester.
Monday–Friday: 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Saturday: 9–11:00 a.m.
*For emergencies, dial 911.*
General information: 859-323-5823
After-hours, on-call physician: 859-323-5321
Appointment line for Primary Care, Gynecology/Genitourinary Care (GYN/GU) and Health Education Services: 859-323-2778
Appointment line for Behavioral Health: 859-323-5511
Medical Records: 859-218-3211
Phone Information Nurse: 859-323-4636
All visits to UHS are confidential per HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) guidelines. Your parents will not be notified when you visit UHS. This may change, however, if you have procedures that are not covered by the Health Fee and must be covered by your health insurance.
If you are on your parents’ insurance, there is the possibility that your parents will see any services that are provided and are covered through your insurance. You can speak to your UHS clinician, as well as your insurance company, for more information.
Your parents do not have access to your medical records. UHS is required by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) to protect the confidentiality of your medical and billing information.
Your medical record contains your personal health history. This record is kept confidential and is not released to anyone without your written consent, except in compliance with state and federal laws (i.e., subpoena, court order, health department reporting requirements, etc.).
In order to insure we are doing our best to protect your privacy, all medical and billing information will be sent directly to the address you provide.