Travel information - University Health Service

Traveling abroad can be an incredible experience. The sights, the history and the memories you take away from your trip will last a lifetime. However, it is important that before you travel, you make sure to prepare yourself to help prevent some unfortunate occurrences, such as illness and injury. Some countries have recommendations for travelers before they arrive, so it’s important to do your research and know before you go.

What to research before traveling

Before traveling abroad, here are some important topics and questions to research:

  • Are there required vaccinations for the country you’re visiting?
  • Are there recommended tools for prevention (i.e. mosquito nets) that travelers should bring with them?
  • Does your health insurance cover you in another country?
  • Do you need additional travel insurance?
  • Do you know where to go if you get sick while abroad?
  • Are the food and water safe for human consumption in the country you’re visiting?
  • Are there medications you should take while abroad to prevent illness (i.e. malaria or traveler’s diarrhea prevention medication)? 

Checkup before traveling

Consider making an appointment at University Health Service four to six weeks before your trip. Please note that the cost of travel vaccinations is not included under the Health Fee.

Call 859-323-APPT (2778)  to schedule a travel appointment. Make sure that you bring a copy of your immunization record with you to your appointment so that the clinician seeing you will know which vaccines you need for your trip. If you prefer, you can email an attachment of your vaccine record to with the subject line: Immunization Records.

At University Health Service, we offer many travel vaccines (depending on your insurance and supply). In addition UHS offers:

  • Travel physicals.
  • Country-specific travel counseling and advice.
  • Prescriptions for illness prevention for malaria or traveler’s diarrhea.
  • Insurance information.

More information

For more information about health and safety while traveling abroad, visit these websites: