Specialty Pharmacy Frequently Asked Questions
Why do I need UK Specialty Pharmacy?
These complex and costly medications usually require special storage and handling and may not be readily available at your local pharmacy. Sometimes these medications also have side effects that require monitoring by a trained pharmacist. UK Specialty Pharmacy focuses on providing these medications while offering excellent customer service and clinical support to you and your caregivers. We are also able to dispense your non-specialty maintenance medications to provide all your pharmacy needs in one convenient service.
How can I contact the UK Specialty Pharmacy?
- Call us at 844-730-5913 (toll free) or 859-218-5413 to speak to a Specialty Pharmacy employee.
- Email one of our clinical pharmacists at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ask to speak to a specialty pharmacy employee during your next clinic visit.
A specialty pharmacy technician will call you before your medication is scheduled to run out, to check your progress and to determine the shipment of your next refill. Please call 844-730-5913 (toll-free) during our normal business hours if you have any questions or need assistance.
How much will my medications cost?
Your copay amount will vary based on your insurance plan. We will tell you this amount after we have processed your prescription.
What if I can't afford my medications?
Some patients are eligible for financial assistance through drug companies or charities. We will perform a full review of options available, tell you about available options and enroll you in the program if you meet eligibility requirements, after obtaining your written permission to do so.
What if my insurance company doesn't cover my medication?
Our staff works directly with your physician and insurance company to obtain coverage for your therapy. If it is denied, your physician will discuss other options with you.
Can I still get access to my specialty medication if I lack prescription insurance?
Some drug companies offer a Free Drug Program. If that’s available, we will help you enroll in the program, after obtaining your written permission to do so.
Does UK Specialty Pharmacy have access to all specialty medications?
UK Specialty Pharmacy has access to most specialty medications. If we do not have access, we will transfer your prescription to a pharmacy that does and have the new pharmacy contact you.
Will my insurance company let UK Specialty Pharmacy dispense the drug?
UK Specialty Pharmacy can dispense for most insurance companies. Occasionally your insurance company will require the use of another pharmacy. In these instances, we will transfer your prescription and have the new pharmacy contact you.
Using UK Specialty Pharmacy is optional. If you would like to use another specialty pharmacy, please call us and we will assist with the transfer of your prescription.
Will you ever substitute my medication with another?
From time to time it is necessary to substitute generic drugs for brand-name drugs. This could occur due to your insurance company preferring the generic be dispensed or to reduce your copay. If a substitution needs to be made, a member of the specialty pharmacy staff will contact you prior to shipping the medication to inform you of the substitution.
Will UK Specialty Pharmacy ever call me?
We will call you to:
- Confirm the initial status of your prescription and copay amount.
- Set up the initial dispense and refills.
- Verify your address and confirm delivery or your medication.
We may also call you to:
- Verify prescription insurance information.
- Obtain documentation of your income to enroll you in a financial assistance program.
- Counsel you on the medication, if that isn’t done during your physician visit.
- Tell you that the prescription has to be transferred to another specialty pharmacy.
- Notify you of any FDA recalls of your medication.
When should I contact your pharmacy?
You should call the UK Specialty Pharmacy if:
- Your address, telephone number or insurance information has changed.
- You have any questions regarding the status of your prescription.
- You have concerns regarding how to take your medication.
- You would like additional information regarding your plan for therapy.
- If you suspect an error or delay in shipping or dispensing has occurred.
- If you suspect your medication has been recalled by the FDA.
You should also contact us with any other questions or concerns. Our staff is happy to assist you with your specialty pharmacy needs, including:
- Working with another specialty pharmacy to get your medications delivered.
- Helping you get access to medications during an emergency or disaster.
- Providing you with tools to manage your therapy, including educational materials and consumer advocacy support.
What should I do if I have an adverse reaction to the medication?
Patients experiencing adverse drug reactions or other problems should contact the UK Specialty Pharmacy or their prescribing physician. You should call 911 or have someone drive you to a local emergency room if the reaction appears serious or life threatening.
Can I return my prescription?
Most prescription medications cannot be returned to the pharmacy. Some prescriptions may be returned and credited if they have not been opened, have been dispensed within 14 days, and meet other requirements specified by Kentucky law. Please call us and we can tell you if your medication can be returned and credited. Also, if you suspect your medication is defective, please call us and we will see if a new medication can be sent to you.
How do I dispose of unused medications?
For instructions on how to properly dispose of unused medications please contact the pharmacy or go to the below FDA websites for information and instructions: