The iQuit Program is a free tobacco cessation program for UK students.
Are you thinking about quitting smoking or chewing? Do you want to help someone else who is thinking of quitting smoking or chewing?
The 18-24 year old age group continues to have the highest smoking rate among all adults. Using tobacco affects nearly every part of the smoker or chewers' body, as well as friends, loved ones and pets. The good news is that health begins to improve almost immediately after quitting.
We know that some students begin using tobacco in college without planning to continue after graduation, but find quitting is harder than they thought it would be and that most students who smoke want to quit before they graduate.
Most UK students don't use tobacco (seven out of 10) and many want to quit.
If you do use tobacco, we can help.
Pick up a free quit kit at University Health Service to learn about quitting tobacco.Our services include:
- Individual cessation counseling is available to help students be successful in quitting tobacco.
- Development of a personalized plan to quit.
- Information and support on how to quit.
- Free nicotine replacement patches, gum, and lozenges.
- Discussion about other medication and counseling options.
We can help you explore options, including medications and behavior changes, and pick strategies that work for you!
Services are offered to part-time and full-time UK students who have paid their health fee.
UK undergraduate and graduate students and their spouses, who are covered by the student health insurance, are also eligible for these services and may receive nicotine replacement products.
At the Counseling Center, various counseling formats are offered to help with tobacco cessation, reducing tobacco use, and managing stress and cravings. Students must be enrolled at UK for at least 6 credit hours to be eligible for services and to receive free nicotine replacement products (patches and/or gum) at no cost. Call 859-257-8701 today to schedule your appointment.
- Check out these free smartphone apps to help you quit: NCI QuitPal supports smokers working to become smoke-free. It was developed using proven quit-smoking strategies and tools. Smokefree Teen QuitSTART tracks your cravings and moods, monitors your progress, identifies your smoking triggers, and offers personalized “pick-me-ups” and reminders to use during challenging times.
- Tobacco-Free Generation Campus Initiative offers college students free on-line information, guides, and resources related to tobacco and quitting tobacco use.
- My Last Dip is a free Web-based intervention that is designed to help young smokeless tobacco users quit.
- Kill the Can offers free resources and tools to help dip, snuff, and chewing tobacco users quit. Along with useful information, it offers a support forum and a live quit chat room.
- Become an Ex teaches you how to re-learn life without cigarettes in 3 steps - all geared to help make the seemingly impossible possible.
- Freedom from Smoking® Online Program from the American Lung Association consists of seven modules, each containing four lessons, to assist you in quitting tobacco. Participants are also encouraged to participate in message boards to give and receive support as they go through the quit process.
- UK's Tobacco Free site