Pulmonary, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine
UK Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine offers the full scope of inpatient and outpatient services involving the diagnostic evaluation and clinical management of respiratory disorders. We have been recognized by U.S. News & World Report a a high-performing hospital in COPD care.
Diagnostic aspects include routine pulmonary function testing and evaluation of all lung diseases, including related and intra-related pulmonary evaluation of interstitial lung disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, infectious lung disease, drug-related pulmonary disorders and carcinoma of the lung.
Also see the Sleep Disorders Center page »
Information about Pulmonary Rehabilitation »
- Allergic lung disease
- Asbestosis and black lung
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Cystic fibrosis
- Interstitial lung disease
- Interventional pulmonology
- Lung cancer
- Occupational medicine
- Palliative medicine
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Pulmonary physiology and vascular diseases
- Respiratory failure and critical care
- Sleep apnea and sleep disorders
- Sleep medicine
The UK HealthCare Interventional Pulmonology program is the only program in Lexington that provides comprehensive services for patients with a wide variety of airway and lung disorders.
The program brings together experts from several areas, including:
- Cardiothoracic surgery
- Infectious disease
Our experienced team effectively diagnoses and treats airway and lung disorders using the latest equipment and technologies for minimally invasive procedures.
Working with our multidisciplinary team at the only National Cancer Institute designated cancer center in Kentucky, we can often diagnose and asses the stage of lung cancer in the same procedure.
Advanced diagnostic bronchoscopy
- Electromagnetic navigation bronchoscopy for diagnosis of lung nodules
- Linear endobronchial ultrasound for lung cancer staging and lymph node biopsy
- Radial endobronchial ultrasound for the diagnosis of lung mass and nodules
- Narrow band imaging and autofluorescence bronchoscopy
Therapeutic bronchoscopy and Interventional Pulmonology
- Rigid bronchoscopy
- Foreign body removal
- ND YAG laser for photoresection of malignant central airway obstruction
- Endobronchial electrosurgery for tumor destruction
- Argon plasma coagulation
- Cryotherapy for bronchial lesion
- Brachytherapy for airway tumor destruction
- Balloon dilatation of the airway narrowing
- Airway stent insertion for airway narrowing
- Endobronchial steroid injection
- Endobronchial valve placement
- Management of tracheostomy tubes
- Bronchothermoplasty for severe asthma
- Transtracheal oxygen catheter placement
- Ultrasound guided thoracentesis for pleural effusion
- PleurX catheter insertion for malignant pleural effusions
- Medical thoracoscopy for pleurodesis and for undiagnosed pleural effusion
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 859-323-9555.