Interstitial Lung Disease Clinic
The UK Interstitial Lung Disease Clinic offers patients with advanced lung disease the expert care and multidisciplinary resources they need to receive a clear diagnosis, begin a treatment plan and maximize their length and quality of life.
Interstitial lung disease (ILD) is a collection of more than 200 rare lung diseases. Without treatment, these can be characterized by progressive lung tissue scarring. Patients may experience shortness of breath, cough, fatigue and many other symptoms, but many patients are diagnosed before symptoms occur.
Lung scarring isn’t reversible, but treatments that improve disease progression and quality of life are available. An incorrect diagnosis has the same outcome as the worst diagnosis, so it is essential that treatment be tailored to a patient’s specific disease. Patients are welcomed for second opinions, comprehensive ILD care and for collaborative care between their local center and the UK HealthCare subspecialty team.
Dedicated interstitial lung disease care
The UK Interstitial Lung Disease Clinic is a specialty program of UK Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine. Under the leadership of Erin Camac, DO FCCP; Parijat Sen, MD; and James McCormick, MD, the clinic offers the full scope of ILD care — including advanced diagnostic options, management strategies, transplantation timing and palliative care.
Our clinicians treat all types of ILD, including:
- Connective-tissue disease-related ILD, such as disease related to rheumatoid arthritis, mixed connective tissue disease, systemic sclerosis, Sjogren syndrome, idiopathic inflammatory myositis and many others
- ILD due to vasculitis, such as granulomatosis with polyangiitis (GPA) and eosinophilic granulomatosis with polyangiitis (EGPA)
- Hypersensitivity pneumonitis
- Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis
- Nonspecific interstitial pneumonia (NSIP)
- Cryptogenic organizing pneumonia
- Pulmonary alveolar proteinosis
- Pneumoconiosis, including asbestosis, berylliosis, coal mine dust lung disease and asbestosis
- Respiratory bronchiolitis-associated interstitial lung disease, pulmonary Langerhans cell histiocytosis and desquamative interstitial pneumonia (DIP)
- Drug-induced respiratory disease
- Rare syndromes, such as Hemansky-Pudlak syndrome, familial interstitial lung disease and others
Located on the second floor of the Kentucky Clinic, the UK Interstitial Lung Disease Clinic was created in 2018 to better serve the Bluegrass Region's ILD patients.
To address our patients' needs, our pulmonologists take a multidisciplinary approach, bringing together a team of thoracic (chest) surgeons, interventional pulmonologists, radiologists, rheumatologists, pathologists and specialty pharmacists to discuss each patient and ensure they receive a personalized treatment plan that continues to meet their needs. UK Interstitial Lung Disease Clinic patients also have access to our division's pulmonary rehabilitation and lung transplant programs.
In 2019, the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation designated UK HealthCare a member of its Care Center Network. This select group of prestigious programs meets the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation’s high standards by providing specialized care, access to clinical research and support services that benefit pulmonary fibrosis patients.
Care for the whole patient
It's important that every patient receives the supportive care and education they need to help control symptoms and improve quality of life. Our ILD nurse specialist, Kristie McKenzie, has extensive experience in managing patients with these complex and challenging diseases.
The ILD support group, which meets once a month, offers patients the opportunity to share stories and insight with others living with the same or similar diagnoses, while also learning more about ILD from experts within the community.