Are You Ready for Your Big Interview? Nursing Checklist
Bring These With You
- Several copies of resume
- Separate list of professional references
- 2 – 3 questions for you to ask the interviewer
- Portfolio or Nice Folder (to hold resumes, transcripts and important papers)
Have a Professional Appearance
- Business Suit (dry cleaned and/or pressed that fits! Try it on.)
- Laundered Shirt or blouse
- Tie (men)
- Dark socks (men) and Panty hose (women – no runs!!)
- TURN OFF the cell phone, pager, iPad, or any electronic device. If you forget and it goes off, apologize and turn it off. DO NOT EVER take a call or page during an interview.
- Sensible Dress Shoes but not spiked heels (polished for men). Remember you will be doing a LOT of walking from nurse recruitment to various departments.
- Firm handshake and smile!!
- Conservative jewelry (i.e., necklace, simple earrings, 1 or 2 rings, etc.)
- Fresh breath
- Minimum cologne or perfume
- Clean nails and/or conservative nails (no nail polish)
- Conservative hair style or hair cut
- Conservative makeup (for women)
Good luck with your interview! To help you prepare further for your interviews, set up a “Practice Interview,” or attend an Interview Workshop. Make an appointment with the Nurse Career Consultant at the UK Nursing Career Resource Center. Call or email today at 859-323-3169 or Sue.firstname.lastname@example.org.