Advanced Practice Providers
Advanced Practice Providers (APPs) are nationally certified and state licensed to provide diagnoses, treatments and follow-up. There is a strong representation of APPs across UK HealthCare, working in collaborative roles with physicians in all specialties of acute-care and clinical settings. The daily contributions by APPs to deliver “patient first,” high-quality health care is valued by physicians as well as by patients and their families.
UK HealthCare’s Office for Advanced Practice serves as the professional home for nurse practitioners, nurse anesthetists, clinical nurse specialists, nurse midwives and physician assistants.
Mission & Vision
Our mission in the Office of Advanced Practice is to recruit and retain the best providers and help them practice at the top of their license.
Advanced Practice Provider Leadership and Excellence (APPLE©) Award
In an effort to support and promote leadership and clinical excellence in Advanced Practice at UK HealthCare, the Advanced Practice Provider Leadership and Excellence (APPLE©) Award seeks to recognize excellence among the advanced practice providers at UK HealthCare based on the following criteria:
- Minimum of two consecutive years in a UK HealthCare advanced practice provider role
- Currently employed at UK HealthCare in an advanced practice provider role with a minimum clinical FTE of 0.75.
- Current Licensure
- Must meet minimum scoring requirements on annual Performance Evaluations including scoring on the Living DIReCT organizational values (Diversity, Innovation, Respect, Compassion, and Teamwork)
- Nominee must not currently be in a corrective action status, nor have been in a corrective action status for the six months prior to the date of the nomination.
Evaluation Criteria (Choose 4 of 8):
- Clinical skill
- Academic excellence
- Student mentorship/preceptorship
- Quality and/or process improvement
- Contributions that advance the UK HealthCare Strategic Plan
- Demonstration of leadership
- Fosters collegial and collaborative relationships with other health care providers
- Presents a professional image of APPs in the public arena
Nomination Submission Requirements:
- 500-1,000 word statement that explains how the nominee meets the four award criteria
- One letter of recommendation from the nominee’s Department Faculty Chairperson
- One letter of recommendation from any UK Faculty or Staff member
- Nominations must be submitted in full with all supplemental components via the online submission link; paper or email submissions will not be accepted.
- Nominations will be accepted October 21 - November 30, 2020
Award Determination and Announcement:
- Submissions will be reviewed by and winner will be chosen by the APPLE Award Committee; Winner will be announced during APP week.
- Questions: contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 859-218-6164
Student Placement Request Process
The request submission window for Summer 2022 Advanced Practice Clinicals at UKHC opens on March 15, 2022, and will close on April 15, 2022. After April 15, 2022, Summer 2022 requests will no longer be accepted.
When to Submit your Request:
- Clinical Dates (these are the dates within which you want to complete clinical rotations):
- Spring Semester: January 1-May 15
- Summer Semester: May 16-July 31
- Fall Semester: August 1-December 15
- Request Submission Windows (based on the dates you want to complete clinicals, this is when you need to submit your request):
- Spring Semester: October 15-November 15
- Summer Semester: March 15-April 15
- Fall Semester: July 15-August 15
Important Points to Consider:
- We are obligated to place students enrolled in UK programs prior to placing students enrolled at other schools.
- Your school’s approval of a placement from a curriculum standpoint does not confer placement approval at UKHC. You must have documented approval from both the Office of Advanced Practice and Office of Observation and Learning Experience before you begin any clinical rotations at UKHC.
- A student agreement between UKHC and your school must be on file before we can approve your placement. Check with your school representative to verify that your institution has a student agreement on file with UKHC.
- You will receive email notification of your request status (approval or denial) from the Office of Advanced Practice approximately 4-6 weeks prior to the start date you requested.
Questions or concerns? Please email email@example.com.
Advanced Practice General Council
2022 General Council Chairpersons:
Katherine Hanley (firstname.lastname@example.org), PA Representative
Nicole Brumfield (email@example.com), NP Representative
Greg Buckler (firstname.lastname@example.org), CRNA Representative
The Advanced Practice Council meets monthly on the fourth Tuesday of every month at 4pm. Council meetings are held via Zoom and all UK HealthCare advanced practice providers are encouraged to attend. For Zoom information, please contact email@example.com .
Advanced Practice General Council Meetings through 2022:
- January 25, 2022
- February 22, 2022
- March 22, 2022
- April 26, 2022
- May 24, 2022
- June 28, 2022
- July 26, 2022
- August 23, 2022
- September 27, 2022
- October 25, 2022
- November 22, 2022
- December 2022 (No meeting)
Residencies & Fellowships
At UK HealthCare, we are committed to providing opportunities to further educate Advanced Practice Providers. APPs can specialize their training through many of our outstanding post-graduate residency and fellowship programs.
List of programs:
- Hospital Medicine Advanced Practice Provider Residency
- Critical Care Advanced Practice Provider Fellowship
- Emergency Medicine Advanced Practice Provider Residency
- Neonatal Physician Assistant Residency
- Psychiatry Advanced Practice Provider Residency
- College of Health Sciences Physician Assistant Residencies in Critical Care, Hospital Medicine and acute care surgery