The mission of the UK Integrative Medicine & Health program is to assist patients in reaching their health and wellness goals by treating the whole person – mind, body and spirit. Meditation is one of the many services provided to nurture the mind-body connection and foster a sense of peace, comfort and relaxation.
Meditation is the practice of intentionally quieting the mind by focusing on a particular object, thought or activity to achieve a calm, relaxed state. There are many types of meditation, and most have four elements in common:
- A quiet location with as few distractions as possible.
- Specific, comfortable posture (sitting, lying down, walking or other positions).
- Focus of attention (a specially chosen word or set of words, an object, or the sensation of breathing).
- Open attitude (letting distractions come and go naturally, without judging them).
Meditation is used most often for relaxation and stress relief. However, recent studies have shown that the health benefits of meditation are more extensive. Regular meditative practice can help:
- Reduce anxiety.
- Relieve depression and foster a more positive outlook on life.
- Improve focus.
- Increase memory and mental clarity, and prevent age-related memory loss and dementia.
- Improve impulse control and curb addictive behaviors.
- Enhance sleep quality.
- Diminish the perception of pain in the brain.
- Lower blood pressure.
UK HealthCare patients, family members or staff can take advantage of the services we provide. Should you have any questions or concerns about meditation, our team is happy to assist you.
Our team is specially trained to care for those with illness or injury and can recommend the mind and body techniques best suited for your individual health needs. In addition, our offices are located on site at the UK Markey Cancer Center, so patients, family members and staff have easy access to our services.
Breath awareness meditation (4:15)
Chest openers (5:59)
Chair yoga for spine health (7:27)
Chair yoga for upper body (5:48)
Chair yoga for lower body (9:48)
Yoga techniques - gentle yoga flow (8:58)