Music Therapy Internship
At UK HealthCare, music therapy is part of Integrative Medicine & Health and is closely affiliated with the UK Arts in HealthCare program. Music therapists provide a wide range of clinical music therapy services for patients with mental and physical health care needs. Some of the common reasons for music therapy referrals include, but are not limited to:
- Physical needs such as pain, restlessness, and rehabilitation.
- Emotional needs such as coping skills, mood, spiritual comfort, and quality of life.
- Mental/cognitive needs such as anxiety, confusion, and stimulation.
- Social needs such as communication and self-expression.
- Extended length of stay.
- End of life care.
- Family support.
The UK HealthCare Music Therapy internship in Lexington, Kentucky, provides a number of opportunities for students interested in medical and mental health music therapy services. Interns will have opportunities to:
- Provide patient- and family-centered care in the acute and ambulatory medical settings.
- Provide services for patients ages 18 and up with varying diagnoses.
- Provide group services for patients with mental health needs.
- Interact with several different music therapists.
- Participate in projects and presentations.
Mission: The mission of the UK HealthCare Clinical Music Therapy program is to advance cutting-edge, evidence-based music therapy practices within the contexts of clinical care, education and research. In order to demonstrate this mission, the program strives to be a leader in the use of music therapy in physical and mental health care while also providing high-quality services for those with communication, cognitive, emotional, spiritual and social functioning needs.
The internship program at UK HealthCare is a hallmark of our clinical services. We strive to work individually with students as part of our clinical team to meet their educational and training needs. We invite you to consider pursuing an internship with us as you move toward board certification as a music therapist.
For more detailed information about the music therapy internship at UK HealthCare, refer to our fact sheet:
Daphne’s Legacy, a non-profit organization formed in the memory of Daphne Scruggs Fields, provides a stipend for UKHC Music Therapy Interns. Daphne was a talented bluegrass musician who received MT services at UKHC at the end of her life. Daphne’s Legacy raises awareness of triple negative breast cancer and funds TNBC research.
Detailed information about the music therapy internship application can be found on our fact sheet:
Start dates and deadlines: We have four start dates across the year, in January, April, July and October. Applications are due June 1 for January and April start dates. Applications are due December 1 for July and October start dates.