/ by UK HealthCare
UPDATE: COVID-19 Visitation Restrictions
To protect our patients, families, employees, and the community during the outbreak of COVID-19, UK HealthCare visitations are suspended as of midnight tonight (March 23, 2020), until COVID-19 transmission threat has decreased significantly.
Previous Flu Restrictions
To help protect the health and well-being of patients and healthcare workers during this flu season, UK HealthCare has temporarily amended the inpatient hospital visitation policy. The temporary restriction on visitations goes into effect on Thursday, January 16 and includes:
- No visitors under the age of 12 (except in Bone Marrow Transplant, where no visitors under the age of 18 are permitted).
- No visitors with any symptoms of flu-like illness.
- Only two visitors will be permitted in a patient’s room at one time.
- Visitors may be issued masks or other protective clothing for use when visiting.
- Additional restrictions may be in place in special care units such as women’s and children’s units, critical care and oncology units.
- Compassionate visitation exceptions will be made on a case-by-case basis.
This will continue for an undetermined amount of time as we monitor the presence of influenza in our communities.
"These procedures are designed to help protect patients, visitors and staff from exposure to the flu and are in effect at all UK HealthCare inpatient units including University of Kentucky Chandler Hospital, Kentucky Children's Hospital, UK Good Samaritan Hospital and Eastern State Hospital," said Dr. Derek Forster, medical director for infection prevention and control at UK HealthCare.
It is still recommended anyone six months of age and older who haven't received a flu shot, receive one. The flu vaccination is still the first and best way to prevent influenza.
Everyday preventive actions are also recommended to stop the spread of germs.
- Covering your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough and sneeze.
- Washing hands with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand rub, if soap and water aren't available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Avoid close contact with sick people when possible.