Additional restrictions for visitors and accompanying guardians or caregivers
- Any person who appears ill or fails screening will be denied access.
- No person will be allowed in rooms of persons under investigation (PUIs) or COVID-19 positive patients (unless at end of life).
- Visitation access restriction policy includes UK HealthCare employees who have family members in the hospital.
- All visitors permitted on the unit must stay in the room for the duration of the visit.
- Exceptions to the exclusion of visitors and length of time for visitation will be individualized and take into consideration what is in the best interest of patient care and safety of patients and employees.
- Interfaith needs and support will be addressed by internal chaplains who will consult with external consultants as needed.
Ambulatory/Emergency Department exceptions
All patients are encouraged to participate in UK TeleCare appointments; if not eligible, the following exceptions apply:
- Patients who have an appointment at UK HealthCare clinics, laboratory, radiology or the Emergency Department and need family/caregiver assistance may have one (1) person with them.
- Pediatric patients may be accompanied by one (1) parent or guardian.
- Emergency Department patients may be accompanied by one (1) person.
- Obstetric patients may have one partner or one birth support person over the age of 16 accompany them.
- Pediatric patients may have parents or guardians, not to exceed two (2) visitors, for length of time cleared by the attending physician.
- Nursery/Neonatal Intensive Care patients may have birth parent plus one significant-other visit as cleared by the attending physician.
- Patients who are at the end-of-life may have up to two (2) visitors for the length of time cleared by the attending physician. Patients with altered mental status, cognitive impairment, developmental delays or disruptive behavior, where a family member is key to their care, may have one (1) visitor.
- Patients who require a home caregiver(s) to be trained may have up to one (1) visitor.
- Patients undergoing surgery or procedures may have one (1) visitor and the visitor must leave the medical center as soon as possible after the procedure/surgery.
- Once the visitor leaves the patient’s room, he or she must immediately leave the hospital.
Additional exception requests will be determined on a case-by-case basis by the administrator on-call.