Botox treatments (Botulinum toxin A)
BOTOX® Cosmetic (onabotulinumtoxinA), a prescription medicine, is a purified protein that temporarily improves the look of moderate-to-severe frown lines between the brows in adults younger than 65 years of age. This simple nonsurgical treatment is injected directly into the muscles between your brows. It works by blocking nerve impulses to the injected muscles, therefore reducing muscle activity that can cause persistent lines to form between the brows.
BOTOX and Dysport are offered for a variety of conditions. These include the treatment of facial wrinkles such as frown lines, "crow’s feet" and forehead wrinkles caused by facial expressions such as frowning, squinting or even laughing. Botox and Dysport are botulinum toxins, which provide temporary relaxation of the muscles that cause these wrinkles by blocking nerve impulses.
Botox/Dysport treatment: Self care
- For the first hour following Botox/Dysport, perform facial exercises to stimulate binding (smile, squint, etc).
- Do not participate in activities that include heavy lifting, vigorous exercise or straining for 24 hours (it takes approximately 2-3 hours for Botox to bind to the nerve and you do not want to increase circulation during that time).
- Do not rub, touch, or manipulate Botox/Dysport for 3 hours.
- Avoid irritating products for 24 hours following Botox/Dysport
- Make-up may be applied gently before leaving the office, remember to wipe away from your eyes.
- It may take 2-7 days for Botox & 7-10 days for Dysport to take full effect.
- Follow-up visit at 10 days to 2 weeks is necessary to assess results for subsequent treatments; this is important for first time clients.
- Re-treatment is between 4-6 months (no more than every 3 months).
- Subsequent visits usually last longer.
- If your upper lip was treated you will not be able to drink through a straw, whistle, or enunciate some words for approximately 2 weeks.
- Possible side effects include pain, swelling, redness, or numbness at the injection site, temporary headache, nausea, or eyelid droop, flu syndrome, or no improvement in appearance. Most side effects are short in duration.
Please call our office during business at 859-257-7171 for questions and concerns.