All forms of lung cancer, All forms of head and neck cancer
Dr. Ralph Zinner is an experienced board-certified medical oncologist and accomplished scientific leader with more than 100 peer-reviewed publications. Dr. Zinner specializes in caring for patients with lung cancer and cancers of the head and neck.
Outside of the office, he loves meeting people throughout Kentucky and seeing the cities, towns and countryside with his wife, Jeri. He also often visits independent bookstores, enjoys world cinema, likes working in his garden, and is glad to be back weight training and jogging.
Mercer University School of Medicine, Macon, Ga.
Internal Medicine, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Ky.
Medical oncology fellowship, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston
Certifications and Special Training
American Board of Internal Medicine Subspecialty Board of Medical Oncology
Please let us know by filling out a patient satisfaction survey when you get one. You can also leave an online review by clicking the button below.
- Effect of nucleotide on the binding of peptides to 70-kDa heat shock protein. Greene LE, Zinner R, Naficy S, Eisenberg E. J Biol Chem. 1995 Feb 17;270(7):2967-73. doi: 10.1074/jbc.270.7.2967. PubMed PMID: 7852376.
- The PTEN/MMAC1/TEP tumor suppressor gene decreases cell growth and induces apoptosis and anoikis in breast cancer cells. Lu Y, Lin YZ, LaPushin R, Cuevas B, Fang X, Yu SX, Davies MA, Khan H, Furui T, Mao M, Zinner R, Hung MC, Stack P, Siminovitch K, Mills GB. Oncogene. 1999 Nov 25;18(50):7034-45. doi: 10.1038/sj.onc.1203183. PubMed PMID: 10597304.
- Randomized phase III study of chemoradiation with or without amifostine for patients with favorable performance status inoperable stage II-III non-small cell lung cancer: preliminary results. Komaki R, Lee JS, Kaplan B, Allen P, Kelly JF, Liao Z, Stevens CW, Fossella FV, Zinner R, Papadimitrakopoulou V, Khuri F, Glisson B, Pisters K, Kurie J, Herbst R, Milas L, Ro J, Thames HD, Hong WK, Cox JD. Semin Radiat Oncol. 2002 Jan;12(1 Suppl 1):46-9. PubMed PMID: 11917284.
- Non-small cell lung cancer clinical trials with trastuzumab: their foundation and preliminary results. Zinner RG, Kim J, Herbst RS. Lung Cancer. 2002 Jul;37(1):17-27. Review. PubMed PMID: 12057863.
- The novel and effective nonplatinum, nontaxane combination of gemcitabine and vinorelbine in advanced nonsmall cell lung carcinoma: potential for decreased toxicity and combination with biological therapy. Herbst RS, Khuri FR, Lu C, Liu DD, Fossella FV, Glisson BS, Pisters KM, Shin DM, Papadimitrakopoulou VA, Kurie JM, Blumenschein G Jr, Kies MS, Zinner R, Jung MS, Lu R, Lee JJ, Munden RF, Hong WK, Lee JS. Cancer. 2002 Jul 15;95(2):340-53. doi: 10.1002/cncr.10629. PubMed PMID: 12124835.
Cancer Center Member
Dr. Zinner’s work and research interests include:
- Developing neoadjuvant and induction chemo-immune and molecularly targeted therapy regimens in surgery and radiation in the treatment of lung and head and neck cancer patients to reduce long-term morbidity and increase overall survival.
- Working toward the development of a KRAS program in lung cancer, which Kentucky and the region are especially well-placed to lead nationally.
- Increasing the odds of long-term survival and well-being in newly diagnosed and recurrent advanced stage lung and head and neck cancer using novel combinations of existing or newer therapeutics.
800 Rose St., CC458
Lexington, KY 40536