Hand therapy can play a big role in your recovery. Here’s how UK HealthCare can help.
We rely on our hands for all of our everyday activities. If you develop a chronic hand condition or experience an accident, your life can grind to a halt.
Because the anatomy of your hand is very intricate, specialized care will be required to help you heal and get back into the swing of things.
That’s where hand therapy comes in. Hand therapists can provide you with customized orthotic fabrication, instruction in hand exercises and much more.
Here’s what you need to know about hand therapy and how it can help you on your road to recovery:
What are some common issues that hand therapists address?
Hand therapists specialize in conditions of the hand, wrist and elbow. Here are some of the conditions we treat:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Complicated fractures, lacerations and tendon repairs from accidents
- Lateral epicondylitis
- Repetitive motion injuries
- Trigger finger
What can I expect during hand therapy?
We will first perform a comprehensive evaluation so that we can tailor hand therapy treatments to your specific needs. Sessions typically last 45 minutes to an hour.
A hand therapy appointment can include:
- Making a custom fabricated orthotic to protect your hand during the early healing phases after an injury or surgery
- Teaching and demonstrating appropriate exercises
- Incorporating modalities to decrease your pain and facilitate increased range of motion and participation in daily activities
Will I need to complete exercises at home, too?
The home exercise program is a vital part of your recovery. If you follow this program, you can improve faster and require fewer therapy sessions.
Learn more about the UK HealthCare Hand Center and the services it offers by visiting our website or call 859-323-4263 to schedule an appointment.
This content was produced by UK HealthCare Brand Strategy.