At UK Urology, we are experts in treating complex urologic disease inside the kidney, bladder and ureters. This field is known as endourology. Our experienced team uses minimally invasive surgery techniques and offers a wide range of new and innovative surgical procedures for a variety of urologic issues. This means less surgical scaring and pain during surgery.
Our three dedicated faculty members, in addition to a fellow and a physician assistant, are highly experienced in handling complex urologic surgery cases from across Kentucky. And we’re always innovating our approaches. Currently, we are researching ways to:
- Minimize the amount of time patients need to have ureteral stents after stone treatment
- Improve the quality of life in stone formers
- Optimize the delivery of care to patients in both the clinic and operating room
- Improve our ability to image and measure urinary stones
Our surgical team is equipped to treat many urologic conditions, including:
- Complex kidney and urinary stone disease.
- Small renal masses.
- Enlarged prostate.
- Kidney obstruction.
And with a state-of-the-art robotics program, our surgeons routinely perform leading-edge procedures with the goal of improving patients’ quality of life. These include:
- Kidney stone surgeries for patients with complicated anatomy.
- Partial nephrectomy for patients with renal tumors using a retroperitoneoscopic approach – avoiding the potential complications of transperitoneal surgery.
- Urolift for patients with prostate gland enlargement, which can be done in about 10 minutes with virtually no blood loss and minimal resulting sexual dysfunction.
The endourology and minimally invasive surgery team has grown significantly in recent years. Our surgeons bring their expert training and diverse backgrounds together to provide excellent surgical urology care for our patients.