John Roger Bell, MD is an assistant professor of urology at the University of Kentucky College of Medicine. He is a native of New Orleans. He completed his undergraduate and medical school training at Tulane University. He then completed his residency in urology at the combined program of Louisiana State University and Ochsner Clinic Foundation in 2015. He subsequently completed a fellowship in endourology at the University of Wisconsin in 2017. He joined the Department of Urology at the University of Kentucky in 2017, where he focuses on the medical and surgical management of complex urinary stone disease, as well as advanced techniques in laparoscopic and robotic urologic surgery.
- Assistant Professor of Urology
- Research and Publications
- Johnson BA, Bell JR, Dalvie P, McDermott JC, Nakada SY. Expanding Endourologic Urolithiasis Techniques to Biliary Stones: Percutaneous Transhepatic Lithotripsy. Journal of Endourology, Part B: Videourology 2017
- Bell JR, Laborde E: Update on the Sexual Impact of Treatment for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. Curr Urol Rep. 2012; 13: 433-440
- Bell JR, Warrier R, Ortenberg J. Juvenile Granulosa Cell Tumor in a Newborn with an Undescended Testicle. Diag in Ped Urol April 2013;34(3):4
- Bell JR, Laborde E: Medical Treatment for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia and Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms: A Critical Review Focusing on Men’s Sexual Health. AUA Update Series. 2014:Volume 33, lesson 27.
- Bell JR, Nakada SY. Medical Expulsive Therapy is Useful for Urinary Calculi: Sometimes (Opposing Views). J Urol 2016; 195: 555-556
- Bell JR, McKenna PH, Nakada SY. Diagnosis and management of angiomyolipoma. AUA Update Series 2016; Vol. 35, Lesson 23, 237-45.
- Bell JR, Penniston KL, Best SL, Nakada SY. A Contemporary Survey of Patient Preferences Regarding Medical Expulsive Therapy. Can J Urol 2017 Jun;24(3):8827-8831
- Bell JR, Penniston KL, Nakada SY. In Vitro Comparison of Holmium Lasers: Evidence for Shorter Fragmentation Time and Decreased Retropulsion Using a Modern Variable Pulse Laser. Urology. 2017 Jun 21. pii: S0090-4295(17)30638-6. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2017.06.018. [Epub ahead of print]
- Johnson BA, Bell JR, Dalvie P, McDermott J, Nakada SY. Expanding Endourologic Urolithiasis Techniques to Biliary Stones: Percutaneous Transhepatic Lithotripsy. June 2017. https://doi.org/10.1089/vid.2017.0026 [Epub ahead of print]
- Bell JR, Penniston KL, Nakada SY. In Vitro Comparison of Stone Fragmentation When Using Various Settings with Modern Variable Pulse Holmium Lasers. J Endo. July 2017 https://doi.org/10.1089/end.2017.0351 [Epub ahead of print]
- Bell JR, Penniston KL, Best SL, Nakada SY. Prospective Evaluation of Flexible Ureteroscopes with a Novel Evaluation Tool. Canadian Journal of Urology 2017 (In Press)
- Bell JR, Nakada SY. Intrathoracic Complications of Percutaneous Renal Surgery - Ch 35. Smith’s Textbook of Endourology, 4th edition Ch 35. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd – accepted for publication
- Bell JR, Nakada SY – The History of Hand-Assisted Laparoscopy - Ch 19. The History Of Technologic Advancements In Urology. Springer International Publishing - accepted for publication
Training & Education
Insurance policies can vary widely. Please check with your doctor/clinic for specific insurance information before your visit or procedure to avoid unexpected out-of-pocket costs.See list of insurers