Dietetics Internship Policies
In order to successfully complete the program, interns must:
- Complete a minimum of 1,250 supervised hours within 15 months of starting the program.
- Demonstrate competence on all competencies as defined in the program's learning assessment plan.
- Maintain the professional and ethical code of conduct expected.
- Complete all required rotations, projects and assignments satisfactorily as assessed by the preceptors, VA internship coordinator, and/or internship director.
- Pass the comprehensive examination with a score of 75 percent or better.
- Submit all evaluations of the program and other necessary documentation to the Internship Director.
Interns who successfully complete the internship program will be issued a verification statement by the internship director. This form confirms the completion of the supervised practice requirements of the program and provides the student with eligibility to write the registration examination administered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR).
Vacation & holidays
Six holidays are granted during the internship year. These are Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, the Friday after Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, New Year's Day, and Martin Luther King Day. If you are scheduled to work a holiday, a compensatory day will be given at another time. One week of time off is scheduled at Christmas.
It is the responsibility of the intern to maintain personal health insurance and car insurance. Interns are covered by University of Kentucky Malpractice Insurance during performance of activities required for completion of the internship program.
Interns are expected to dress professionally for all rotations and experiences. Interns may choose to wear a lab coat over personal clothing. Appropriate shoes are required for working in the food-service areas.
There are other policies that guide our internship. If you would like a complete list of these policies or have specific questions about our program's policies, please contact the program director.